Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2018, 03:20 AM   #31
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
My apologises in doing a bit a research I realise it is a micro USB B port and not a mini USB port as I stated above. I am always getting them mixed up.

Ch23 I think that using 9mm is too large, this page http://www.symmetron.ru/suppliers/hi.../hirose_ZX.pdf indicates that the port is 7.5mm, with a bit extra for the plastic hole I think that 8mm is probably a better estimate for the real size of a micro USB B port.
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:36 AM   #32
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenk View Post
My apologises in doing a bit a research I realise it is a micro USB B port and not a mini USB port as I stated above. I am always getting them mixed up.
You're not alone. The folks at GoodEreader seem to mix them up as well :P

Quote:
Ch23 I think that using 9mm is too large, this page http://www.symmetron.ru/suppliers/hi.../hirose_ZX.pdf indicates that the port is 7.5mm, with a bit extra for the plastic hole I think that 8mm is probably a better estimate for the real size of a micro USB B port.
You're right. It was quite late when I made my previous estimate, but now I've also measured the port on my Clara HD, and updated the post accordingly

Last edited by CH23; 09-29-2018 at 03:39 AM.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #33
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
two modle KOBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
IF it has a Slot for SDCard its Not Water Proof.

Yes, but are there not two different models on the photo?
Diferents button, maybe only one model is waterproof ?
-"Little" KOBO FORMA "6" + waterproof
and
-"Big" Shape "7" + SD

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-29-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #34
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Diferents button, maybe only one model is waterproof ?
• "Little" KOBO FORMA "6" + waterproof
and
• "Big" Shape "7" + SD
It's the same model, just one of them on its' side.

I think the image was photoshopped, and the device not actually photographed at an angle, making it harder to really get a grasp of correct size
Old 09-29-2018, 05:53 AM   #35
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
- Yes, you are probably right.
- The button is a good idea, but to copy Kindle Osais I'm not too fans.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
IF it has a Slot for SDCard its Not Water Proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
You can have an card slot and still be waterproof. For example, the original H2O, The Galaxy S9, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #37
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Going only by what I can see I think the Oasis design is nicer. The Oasis is thicker on the back, which lets your hand curl around the thick side. The Forma/Shape (and I think Forma is a better name) is angled on the front and it seems like it would be more awkward to hold.
Agree about the slant on the bezel handle. Looks awkward, but might feel better than it looks.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #38
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I hope it's a 6" screen (though I'm already pretty sure it isn't).
Ditto. I prefer the balance of portability and screen size.6" offers. Give me an open 6" truly ambidextrous device with a color light and night reading mode.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #39
CH23
Bottom Text

I quite like the design, and I believe the idea is to hold it much like you would a book, thumb on the buttons(inside spine) and fingers behind, supporting the whole thing.

If you put it in portrait mode, it's more held like a folded magazine. I certainly hope I could hold it with my left hand as well as my right.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #40
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
I need specs on that thing
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #41
sawdin2
Enthusiast
sawdin2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage; Former Nook HD+ user
I'm hoping that it is a 7.8" or larger screen. If it is, hopefully that will result in discounts on the KA1 at some point in time.

Does Kobo typically offer discounts for pre-orders? I assume that if this is the same size or larger than the KA1 it will be more expensive than the KA1.

Bottom line, more choices/competition is good!
sawdin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #42
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
A Kobo with buttons so I can read it in bed with my eczema gloves on? I've been waiting for this for a long time. I am super interested in this. Eagerly awaiting more information here.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #43
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Looks like the Oasis but nicer more curved shape.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #44
Pajamaman
Wizard

I've been wondering why kobo don't add buttons. They could add buttons and easily undermine the paperwhite. Now I know why. They've decided to copy the Amazon approach and make a previously entry-level low-tech a high-cost luxury option. I might be wrong. If the device is 6", then the cost might be reasonable. But judging by the calculations done based on the USB port, it looks like it's going to be a larger device with an oasis-style high price tag to match. Result: You want buttons? Then you pay top dollar for old rope. However, I expect it to undercut the absurd Oasis price, even if it is the same size or even bigger. But you want buttons on a 6" device? Nay chance. You have to have a big one and pay lots. Of course, I could be wrong But it ain't looking good.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #45
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing GoodEReader wasn't the original source.
They delete a lot of my posts. like they have an article that kindle unlimited on sale 4.99 ( today) and i see it still 9.99$ when I go to amazon.com so i posted that today that I see not sale and now my post is gone.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote