Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #61
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I can't just pick one! I am a person who constantly re-reads books. One of the reasons I was so excited for my Nook is that I no longer have to travel with my three or four favorite books, I just have my Nook with my whole library!

Hm... to narrow it down a bit, my favorite classic books are:
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
A Little Princess For those three books, I have multiple DTB copies on my bookshelves, an audiobook on my iPod, and the Nook version.

Last edited by purple_fishy; 06-16-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #62
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Hey, Purple! I'm with you. That's the reason I got my Sony 505, my Sony 700 and most recently my Nook. I know sound over the top, but it's really not. I have nearly 4,000 ebooks, not counting paper and I re-read favorites a lot. I tend to read a mixed bag; classics, Indies, new releases.

But......if I had to pick the Classics I read the most it would be Count of Monte Cristo and Jane Eyre. Then I would say The Secret Garden for favorite Children's book and Atlas Shrugged for the most re-read and the the Bible.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #63
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
I can't just pick one! I am a person who constantly re-reads books. One of the reasons I was so excited for my Nook is that I no longer have to travel with my three or four favorite books, I just have my Nook with my whole library!

Hm... to narrow it down a bit, my favorite classic books are:
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
A Little Princess For those three books, I have multiple DTB copies on my bookshelves, an audiobook on my iPod, and the Nook version.
That's why I bought my Kindle 3 as well. It's great being able to just open a book on it and start reading. Some of my books I've never had pbook copies of (like the ones through Baen Free Library), and the Ebook reader is more convenient for reading than a reader app on my netbook. While it isn't full up I do have a lot of books on it. A good number of which were free buys at Amazon. lol. Some also came from right here at MR of course. There are many good PD books to be had with a better quality than some of the classic books offered at Amazon (working TOC's for example).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #64
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
But......if I had to pick the Classics I read the most it would be Count of Monte Cristo and Jane Eyre. Then I would say The Secret Garden for favorite Children's book and Atlas Shrugged for the most re-read and the the Bible.
The Count of Monte Cristo is awesome... until you read it for the third time.

The Secret Garden? I think it would've been terrific if I'd read it at the right age, maybe ten years earlier.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #65
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Rome and Juliet is the first title that came to mind. I have never really re-read the classics (I always have the "it's for school" mindset when I think of classic literature) but this one remains a favourite.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #66
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Yea, it does slow you down, but the effort for some books is worth it. One I couldn't finish was Les Miserables. It's longer than War and Peace. There was one chapter devoted entirely to the battle of Waterloo. It was 75 pages long in hardback with miniscule text. The only relation to the story was a couple who were robbing corpses of money, jewlery etc in the aftermath of the battle. It would turn out to be Cossete's adopted family that Jan Valjan rescued her from. I said I had enough and put it down. Someday, maybe I'll try again.
I finally read Les Miserables a few months ago b/c I'd always wanted to. My less than thrilling reaction to Hugo's other most famous book The Hunchback of Notre Dame should have forewarned me. I finished the entire, unabridged book, just so I could say I'd done it (and b/c I wondered what all the hype was from all the people who raved over the musical). The long, boring acct of Waterloo was on the first of MANY such side trips, none of which need to be in the book. An especially memorable one is the 100 pages detailing the history of the Parisian sewer system, when the only thing you need to know is that Valjean walked through the sewers to escape. I'd begun the book as an audiobook but quickly switched to e-book so I could at least skim those sections and know where to start focusing again. This is the only book I've ever read that I can totally and wholeheartedly recommend reading an abridged version!
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #67
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Faulkner goes PD in LIfe + 50 countries next year, can i cheat and use that?

In all seriousness, I'd probably have to say War and Peace because I've read it 3 times. Other favorites include Jane Austen and as mentioned in this thread Sherlock Holmes.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #68
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Hmm, tied for most favorite - The Scarlet Pimpernel and Jane Eyre. Have re-read both several times. Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby has also become a top fave but I've only read it once - I only started reading Dickens seriously a few years ago. Oh, and A Tale of Two Cities - see, can't choose just one!
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #69
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
ummm, I would like to ask, is there a good edition of Sherlock Holmes here on MobileRead?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #70
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
This is the only book I've ever read that I can totally and wholeheartedly recommend reading an abridged version!
This phrase reminded me of the time I tried to read Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales. 18th century literature can tend to be rather turgid and a bit purple, but the characters weren't even interesting. In this instance abridgment really isn't enough. See A Movie.

Seriously, who actually read those things and found a movie in them? Someone with more time and patience than I posses.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #71
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
ummm, I would like to ask, is there a good edition of Sherlock Holmes here on MobileRead?

A gooood?? A superb one!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12677

Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That reminds me that I really need to get that fully proof-read .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #73
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Game's afoot, eh Harry.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Hmm, tied for most favorite - The Scarlet Pimpernel and
I read and reread Scarlet Pimpernel in my salad days and even sought out all the sequels. They were tough to find back in the day; it wasn't until I got to college and then grad school that I was able to finish them. And now they're all there for the sideloading!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #75
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just downloaded from, and thanked you on, and gave you karma for the Sherlock Holmes download and Thread!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote