Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #121
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I hit 57 books last month. With a new job last year and a promotion that includes managing other people this year, I set a lower target of 50. I have reduced my TBR by 22, which is only about a third of my goal. But I have read lots more library books this year. And most of the books coming into the house are technically my wife's though I catalog it all together.

Maybe now that the library/reading room has been seconded as the kitten's new room, I will eat into the TBR more.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #122
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The only one of my challenges left to meet are the magazines and I should make some advances on that this month. My only take-along device for the next couple of months is the kindle with only magazines. Take that Lightspeed!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #123
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
I have certainly moved way beyond the point of worrying about TBR. Now it is more of a case, of making sure I read all the likely great books I possess, before I leave this mortal coil ... and of course any new ones that come along meanwhile. That and reading all by the authors I am greatly fond of.

I have a few reading ambitions though.

The first and most obvious one, is to enjoy what I read, and not force myself beyond good sense to stick to an agenda. That has become easier now, as I know I can never possibly read all I already possess, so I am being quite selective while also trying to ensure enough variety.

I am a fan of many many authors, far too many no doubt. So another of my ambitions, is to read all their works at least, but where possible in order of publication, though I do make it chronological sometimes as well, so I stay up-to-date with events in them. An example, is Agatha Christie, where I am approaching the last handful she wrote. I have read the majority of Rafael Sabatini, Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Leslie Charteris, Terry Pratchett, C.J. Box and so on, and a good number since I started with this ambition, have been re-reads ... chiefly because I never read them in the proper order in the first place. I have a bigger bunch of authors, that I am roughly halfway or slightly more through, and then very many where I have read somewhat less.

Another ambition, is to read certain classics I still haven't gotten around to.

Then there is ambitions like staying up-to-date a little regarding new modern authors, expanding the genres I read, convincing myself to learn to tolerate audio books, etc, etc.

Anyway, I am convinced there is plenty to read out there still .... ha ha ha.

P.S. Reading the Bible properly as an adult from start to finish, used to be an ambition, but that fell by the wayside, along with any belief, over a decade ago. I was also going to re-read The Book Of Mormon at some point .... but I have seen the latest musical, and that's enough ... ha ha ha.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #124
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
I've had better years. I even set my goal very late (June). It is 50, and I am at 18 I think. I've also been rubbish at tracking consistently. Not so great. Reading has been taking a backseat to other things - which is ok, if they are good things, things that help me grow and learn, but not so much. The good news is that my reading is definitely picking up the pace - I go on holiday in a few weeks, so let's hope I get lots of reading done.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #125
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
So far doing ok with my reading challenge . Just noticed I've not entered any books for September yet. Yikes this month is going by too fast !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #126
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I'm barely on track for this year, projecting to complete in mid-December, but I just saw that last year I finished my challenge on Sept 22.

Last year my goal was 30,000 pages. This year it is 24,000 pages and I'm at 18,344 pages right now. Ugh.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #127
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Now that's more like it. Started a reasonable size novel late yesterday morning, and have finished it just now, late afternoon. Not done such a quick read of such a novel in a long time. It was The Elf Queen Of Shannara, third in the sub series of 4 books (quartet or quadrilogy) in the long running Shannara Chronology. I imagine I will get a good portion of the fourth and final book, The Talismans Of Shannara, read before sleep tonight. Life has rather been put on hold a bit, to achieve this. I read to savor, and savor I certainly did, so I cannot say I sped read or even skipped meals or sleep, etc.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-27-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #128
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm way ahead this year (now 124 of 100 book goal), but mostly because my knee injury limits a lot that I can do (I'm retired, don't have a job except caregiving for disabled bro). I do plan to spend a little more time with Netflix soon, so the reading will slow down. Still, I find I want to reach those 3,000 pages each month before doing so. Have I become a reading addict?
Old 09-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #129
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm barely on track for this year, projecting to complete in mid-December, but I just saw that last year I finished my challenge on Sept 22.

Last year my goal was 30,000 pages. This year it is 24,000 pages and I'm at 18,344 pages right now. Ugh.
I feel you. Life happens. I have hit my book goal, but there is little chance that I am going to hit my page goal.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:26 AM   #130
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
At the end of August, my TBR stood at 1038. Still up 20 on January 1st, but down on the end of June, which is good.
So here we are, three quarters of the way through.

I'm doing well. My TBR currently stands at 1010, eight down on the start of the year!

But I confess I've achieved this mainly by looking at my TBR and deciding that I really didn't want to ever read some of the books on it. So I've discarded another 25 books from my TBR this month.

This month I've bought 11 books, and read 14. Possibly 15 by the end of today. So that's still a reduction in my TBR, even ignoring the discarded books.

I'm also pleased with all the books I've bought this month, and with most of the ones I've read.

All in all, a very good month.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #131
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'm getting close to my goal of 52 books this year. Read 48 so far for September.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #132
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I did okay this month. The past week was great, since I was on vacation, a Reading Retreat.

For my main goal, finishing all the series I was reading on January 1, I've only got three more books left. So far this year, I've been focusing on series and I think I've burned out a bit on those. So I've decided that besides those three book for my challenge I'm going to read whatever I feel like reading for the rest of the year.

Since I've picked up a couple of new hobbies this year, which means less time reading, I've decided that for next year I'll lower my goals.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #133
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Well, I have 14,000 of my 25,000 page goal. Not holding my breath on getting that much done from now to December. But I'm at 61 of my 72 book goal

Considering that my LIFE since Labor Day Weekend has been two rambunctious kittens and two new attorneys to supervise, I am pretty pleased.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #134
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I read 11 books previously purchased reducing my unread to 16 titles.

Now, I want to read a few library books before I lose access to them.
Still reading library books exclusively. My holds are becoming available in bunches causing gridlock. I prefer my bunches in the form of grapes not library books.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #135
Tarana
Wizard

I met my 100 book reading goal last month and failed the TBR goal some time ago. Not just short books. Based on Goodreads counter, I've read more pages this year already than previous years, so Yay! This month, I'm going to spend more time with my magazine ereader and get more of those read. Low cost and free books are my nemesis of late. 95% are top authors, not new-to-me ones, so hard to say no to that. I will do better this month. October, Day 2, and have not bought anything including free books!