Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Looking for inexpensive eBook Reader. How are LCD in sunlight?

Most of the eBook Readers that are well under $200 are not eInk from what I've seen. From what I've heard, eInk is really easy to read in direct sunlight when compared to LCD displays. Some of the time I'd be using my device while at home, but a major part of why I want one is for summer camping and fishing trips, so if it's at all hard to read, it's a no-go.

On the flip side, I'm not too concerned about size, format (I pretty much only buy drm-free stuff and d/l it in pdf format, been reading on my laptop so far), advanced features, etc... just looking to be able to throw my meagre collection of fantasy eBooks at it so I can take them on the road with me. Price is the biggest issue, I just can't afford to drop too much on this.

Been looking at the Jetbook/Jetbook-lite and the ilk, and just wondering how visible they'd be on a bright summer day with no cover.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
akira28
Nameless Being

The simple answer is the Jetbooks are just as visible in full sunlight as they are in indirect light. The type of LCD it uses does not suffer at all from direct lighting.
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook and jetBook-Lite works perfect inside and outside
This link can be helpful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool, thanks for the info. It seems it's just a matter of hunting down a good deal this side of the border then.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
jetBook and jetBook-Lite works perfect inside and outside
This link can be helpful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
You might also consider the Aluratek Libre. It is similar to the Jetbook Lite but it has an internal battery instead of AAs, supports Adobe Digital Editions DRM (the Jetbook Lite supports eReader DRM), has both a serif and sans serif font, and comes with a nice nylon pouch, 2GB SD card loaded with 100 ebooks, USB cord, earbuds and a battery charger. Right now they are on sale for $140 at BJs:

http://shop.bjs.com/Aluratek-Libre-e...VVviewprod.htm

There is an excellent review of the Libre on Amazon by mayfavre:

http://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-LIBRE...DateDescending

I think Dell is currently selling them for $150. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago when they were on sale at Frys for $140. I am very happy with my Libre. It is highly readable outdoors and even in dim interior light. The higher contrast of its reflective LCD screen makes it easier to read than the E-ink readers (IMHO). It also doesn't have the annoying flash delay on page turns.

Last edited by PodPeople; 02-28-2010 at 02:29 PM.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
jagfan
jagfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
If interested in the E-ink technology, the Sony PRS-300 is available online and on sale at some brick and morter stores for about $169-179.
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
NewEgg sell jetBook-Lite for $129.99 only
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Nakor
Addict

Cheapest price I've found so far on sites that ship to Canada (after factoring in shipping price, converting to CAD and considering the possibility of duties) is $169.99 for either the Jetbook (newegg.ca, and only red is that cheap) or Libre (NCIX.com). The cheapest Jetbook-lite is only $10 less at $159.99 (Newegg.ca).
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
Most of the eBook Readers that are well under $200 are not eInk from what I've seen. From what I've heard, eInk is really easy to read in direct sunlight when compared to LCD displays. Some of the time I'd be using my device while at home, but a major part of why I want one is for summer camping and fishing trips, so if it's at all hard to read, it's a no-go.

On the flip side, I'm not too concerned about size, format (I pretty much only buy drm-free stuff and d/l it in pdf format, been reading on my laptop so far), advanced features, etc... just looking to be able to throw my meagre collection of fantasy eBooks at it so I can take them on the road with me. Price is the biggest issue, I just can't afford to drop too much on this.

Been looking at the Jetbook/Jetbook-lite and the ilk, and just wondering how visible they'd be on a bright summer day with no cover.

bookeen opus at frys for $149

http://www.frys.com/search?search_ty...=bookeen&cat=0
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
ps it is 800x600 not 640x480 as stated basically the same screen in the sony pocket edition 300
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Nakor
Addict

Not to Canada though.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Nakor... hi, im in eastern canada... even LESS choice.

I have found the Aluratek Libre White at COSTCO for $169
That way you can see it, no shipping, and they have a 90 day return !

i havent got one yet, but it's tugging at me.
jim
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
Nakor
Addict

No Costco in my area. I ended up ordering a Libre off NCIX, it was on sale (from their atrocious $249.99 "regular" price lol) and I got it for $169 as well.

I was really thinking about the jetbook-lite for the replaceable batteries while I was on the road, but then I found out it could charge via USB, making it no problem for me, so all the extras that come with the Libre make the sale. (The foreign language dictionaries might have been a selling point for me on the Jetbook, but the main foreign language I expect to read is Japanese, which the Jetbook doesn't support anyway. I'll live with my plethora of dead-tree dictionaries for if I'm ever stuck.)

NCIX prices are all over the board. Sometimes their base prices are already super low, other times they're absurd. They tend to have some really good weekly sales though, assuming that what you happen to need is up for sale when you happen to need it.

Hoping it arrives soon.

Last edited by Nakor; 03-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.