Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-25-2018, 12:52 AM   #46
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
Thank you Hopkins for the plugin and update!
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #47
jimtwn
jimtwn began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
謝謝樓主設計的簡繁中文轉換plugin for calibre,很有用處。請問有無計劃做成sigil的plugin?sigil是一個相當好用的epu b編輯程式,已有KindleGen_v0.5.3.zip的plugin可將epub轉換成azw3,若 有將簡體中文轉成繁體中文的plugin,sigil就完美了。
jimtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #48
Hopkins
Enthusiast
Hopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3G
I had not planned to write one, but I will take a look. It may not be that hard to modify the Calibre plugin since Sigil supports PyQt.
Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #49
jimtwn
jimtwn began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
感謝回應。
jimtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #50
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
Thank you for this plugin. I have the same need like jimtwn. It would be great if we have the same plugin for Sigil.
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #51
smallpsmallp
smallpsmallp began at the beginning.

Device: none
not working after update to new calibre version

Hi there, the plugin icon disappeared and couldn't be found in the edit book section after the new calibre update....
smallpsmallp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #52
Hopkins
Enthusiast

Version 2.3.3 Switch from cssutils to css-parser

Calibre 3.37 switched from cssutils to css-parser. This update steps up the plugin to match.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314133
Old 06-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #53
yuleshow
yuleshow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, Hopkins, thank you very much for the coding, it's useful and convenient. Here are some issues I met, hope it can help to upgrade the plugin.
For vertical layout, I realize that you changed some punctuation to the Unicode Vertical Form, but it's not the sense for working on Kindle Paperwhite. Some punctuations in Vertical Form will turn 90 degrees right on the Kindle like :;, and 。. The reason is that most fonts don't have embedded characters from 0xFE01 to 0xFE16, so once you replace the punctuations to those characters since the customized fonts lack those character, the system will recall the default system fonts which includes those characters but turned 90 degrees right.
I read your source and remove some conversion in the main.py, it works fine.
BTW, you missed one important replacement in the code, which is ‘ and ’ on both vertical and horizontal mode.
Moderator Notice
Changed inline image to attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190603_mobileread.png
Views:	276
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	171761  

Last edited by theducks; 06-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.
yuleshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #54
Hopkins
Enthusiast

Nobody has mentioned this before, and to be honest I did very little testing. I only have a US based Kindle. Does this problem also occur on Kindles sold in China? Seems like most of the users are based in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

In any event, go ahead and submit a pull request with the code changes at the GiHub site given in the first post. If that isn't convenient, just submit an issue and attach a file containing the updated code. I'll look at it and incorporate it into the plugin.

Edit: Now I remember why I didn't convert ‘ and ’. Double quotes were easy, I just did a simple substitution for the equivalent Chinese quote. But in the case of text containing both Chinese and Western text, a contraction such as the word - can’t - would get replaced with - can」t - . This would look really odd. I guess I could have added code to verify that the letter before the quote was a Hanzi character before doing a substitution; though that may also have problems.

Thanks

Last edited by Hopkins; 06-07-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #55
yuleshow

Hopkins, I have a modified YOUR code on Github, https://github.com/yuleshow/ubuntu-c...Conversion.zip please have a look.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #56
yuleshow

This is from the modified code:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_07_09T10_49_23-0700.png
Views:	250
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	172315  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #57
yuleshow

Hopkins, I already git PR the code. It's work for both US and China kindle, actually, it's the same. The issue is not the converting but the fonts, once it enables customized fonts, it works well. Just use the fonts from Taiwan can solve the Unicode vertical form I mentioned above. My Github has several such fonts, under https://github.com/yuleshow/chinese-fonts and I modified some mainland fonts under https://github.com/yuleshow/ubuntu-c...AD%97%E9%AB%94 , with those fonts and YOUR code, it works fine as above picture.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #58
Hopkins
Enthusiast

I saw the GitHub pull request.
Let me see if I understand...

The standard fonts provided with the Kindle do not have the characters 0xFE01 to 0xFE16?

If the user adds a custom font that contains the characters 0xFE01 to 0xFE16, the :;, and 。. problems go away.?

I think what I'll do is
  1. Put in your changes for handling the single quote '.
  2. Put in your changes for the Kindle vertical text.
  3. Add a note to the 1st post in this thread and the GitHub page to recommend Kindle users add a custom vertical font that contains all of the vertical characters to their and point to your GitHub repository.
  4. Change the dialog text from "Optimize presentation for Kindle reader" to "Optimize presentation for Kindle reader with original fonts"

Last edited by Hopkins; 07-11-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #59
yuleshow

Nope, only several fonts contain vertical forms from 0xFE01 to 0xFE16, the idea is that do not use any character between 0xFE01 to 0xFE16 and use default comma and period, etc. The idea is to suggest use Taiwan UNICODE fonts as the customized fonts because Taiwan fonts' punctuations are in the middle.
The characters between 0xFE01 to 0xFE16 is not designed for this purpose, it's designed for applications like Corel Draw, Photoshop. For e-pub, we use CSS to rotate the text, the vertical form will be rotated with text as well, that why comma and period, etc. will lay down (rotate 90 degrees clockwise).
Old 08-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #60
nnyljh
nnyljh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I bought some Amazon Simplified Chinese books and tried converting them into Traditional vertical. Some books worked fine while some would only show part of the TOC misaligned but without actual book content. If I turn off the "vertical" flag and do only simplified->traditional conversion then it works fine.

I am running Win10, Calibre 4.14, Plugin 2.3.4.
Could you help? I am happy to send you the azw3 file for testing.

TIA
John
nnyljh is offline   Reply With Quote