Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-30-2018, 03:17 AM   #121
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thank you! Are the instructions for converting 32-bit to 64-bit simple enough to post? I would really like to learn how to do this as I have some other applets I was hoping to convert. (My googling attempts only got me as far as the above method, which seems to work but I suspect it's not a best practice.)
I did it your way. But my difficulty might have been down to the name having a '/' in it. I don't see why a direct export to application or duplicate and re-save shouldn't work otherwise.

I did have to fix up the icon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:52 AM   #122
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I did it your way. But my difficulty might have been down to the name having a '/' in it. I don't see why a direct export to application or duplicate and re-save shouldn't work otherwise.

I did have to fix up the icon.
OMG! It was totally the '/'! When I deleted it from the filename, both direct export to application and duplicate and re-save produced a 64-bit app. Thank you so much!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #123
amyg
Enthusiast
amyg is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad
Thank you both! This 32-bit to 64-bit conversion information and the new 64-bit epub app are very much appreciated!
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #124
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Converting 32-bit to 64-bit

Here are more detailed instructions for converting AppleScripts from 32-bit to 64-bit, in case it's helpful to anyone:
  • Open AppleScript in Script Editor
  • File > Export > File Format: Application > Save
    OR
    File > Duplicate > Save > File Format: Application
  • Confirm by checking Get Info (Command-I). If there is an option to “Open in 32-bit mode”, that means the AppleScript has been successfully converted to 64-bit.

If the above fails, look for odd characters in the AppleScript name such as the "/" in "ePub Zip/Unzip". Delete the problematic character. You can rename the AppleScript after it's converted to 64-bit.

To add custom icon:
  • Open Get Info window for both old 32-bit and new 64-bit AppleScripts.
  • Click on the desired icon in the upper left corner of the 32-bit app and copy.
  • Click on the generic icon in the upper left corner of the 64-bit app and paste.

Note: This works for macOS High Sierra. It should also work with Mojave. Earlier versions may work differently or not work at all.

Last edited by odamizu; 11-30-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #125
razorblade
razorblade began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hey all,
Looking for some help here: I have about a 100 epub files that iTunes has unzipped. I downloaded the 64-bit version of the AppleScript, and when I drag and drop a book, I get:

Quote:
The ePub "Airframe.epub" already exists.
Do you want to replace it? The old ePub will be moved to the Trash.
Clicking Cancel obviously cancels the process, but clicking Replace just moves the epub "folder" to trash - and no book is zipped. Then I get:

Quote:
sh: line 0: cd: /Volumes/Razorblade/Books/Airframe.epub/: No such file or directory
How do I fix this? And is there a way to do all of them together?
razorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #126
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
Hey all,
Looking for some help here: I have about a 100 epub files that iTunes has unzipped. I downloaded the 64-bit version of the AppleScript, and when I drag and drop a book, I get:

Clicking Cancel obviously cancels the process, but clicking Replace just moves the epub "folder" to trash - and no book is zipped. Then I get:

How do I fix this? And is there a way to do all of them together?
ePubs downloaded from Apple are not zip files. I beleive they are stored in a 'package'. Just right-click and "Show Package Contents".
Old 01-12-2021, 06:28 AM   #127
Vixxor
Vixxor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi!
I am so lost without this app, for some reason it doesn't work with the latest versions of OSX. Do you know why? Is it something I'm doing wrong or is it just not compatible any more?
Vixxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:58 PM   #128
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixxor View Post
Hi!
I am so lost without this app, for some reason it doesn't work with the latest versions of OSX. Do you know why? Is it something I'm doing wrong or is it just not compatible any more?
When you say "latest versions of OSX", which versions of macOS are you referring to?

The 64-bit version of ePub Zip-Unzip (found in the first post in this thread) should work for Catalina and maybe also Big Sur.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #129
Vixxor

Quote:
When you say "latest versions of OSX", which versions of macOS are you referring to?

The 64-bit version of ePub Zip-Unzip (found in the first post in this thread) should work for Catalina and maybe also Big Sur.
My colleague have tried to use it with Catalina but failed with all versions available.
I still use Mojave but my employer is pushing me to update soon so I'm kinda desperately searching for a solution.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #130
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
My colleague have tried to use it with Catalina but failed with all versions available.
I still use Mojave but my employer is pushing me to update soon so I'm kinda desperately searching for a solution.
I just tried it it. The 3.0 64-bit version works on Catalina.

After downloading, make sure it will launch by double-clicking the icon. You may have to option-right-click-open it, since it's not signed by a known developer. once it'll launch OK, quit, and drag an epub onto it. It will ask for more permissions, to do with the Finder.

Once all permission have been given, it should just work as normal.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:38 PM   #131
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
My colleague have tried to use it with Catalina but failed with all versions available ...
Quote:
I just tried it it. The 3.0 64-bit version works on Catalina ...
The 64-bit version works for me on Catalina as well, so whatever the problem is, it's not ePub Zip-Unzip.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:30 AM   #132
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The 64-bit version works for me on Catalina as well, so whatever the problem is, it's not ePub Zip-Unzip.
I suspect the problem is that it takes a while to give it all the permissions it needs, and that it probably needs launching directly the first time.

Just downloading and expecting to be able to drag & drop immediately isn't going to work.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #133
Vixxor

Quote:
I suspect the problem is that it takes a while to give it all the permissions it needs, and that it probably needs launching directly the first time.

Just downloading and expecting to be able to drag & drop immediately isn't going to work.
Thanks a lot! I will relay this to my colleague. What a relief!
And thanks a million for creating this app in the first place!
Old 11-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #134
shiva108
shiva108 began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books
Hi !
It doesn't work on Monterey, even if launched directly the first time:

Moderator Notice

Overzsize image, feel free to view it:
https://shiva108.ch/wp-content/uploa...a-12.24.21.png

And the app is dating back to... 2015 !

Which is really annoying as there's no other efficient app for macOS.

Is an update on the way ?

Last edited by Jellby; 11-08-2022 at 01:20 PM.
shiva108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most likely it's a 32-bit program and will not run on a 64-bit only MacOS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote