Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #16
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Damaged USB port for KA1. Not taking a charge.

So what will you do with it? I could probably fix it if it’s just a bad connector.

I’d suggest putting a big white dot of paint on one side of the end of the next microUSB cable so it’s easy for your daughter to identify “up”.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #17
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
So what will you do with it? I could probably fix it if it’s just a bad connector.

I’d suggest putting a big white dot of paint on one side of the end of the next microUSB cable so it’s easy for your daughter to identify “up”.
That's very close to what I did. I put stickers on the UP side on every cable she uses for her Kobo. (I bought her an old Kobo Touch for $30 so she has something to use until Christmas.) It's funny that she damaged the port (though I've seen other posts about loose USB ports on KA1s, so perhaps its a factory defect). She had a case on the KA1 and never scratched the screen or scuffed the unit. She was so good with it! So maybe it wasn't really her fault.

As for the broken KA1, I'll probably sell it for parts. I was thinking of creating a topic and asking people what I could expect to get on eBay for a working KA1 with a broken USB port. What would you charge to repair it? It seems that the micro USB component needs to be removed off the motherboard, then replaced.

Last edited by Cootey; 08-31-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
I have a hot air reflow solder station and a digital thermostat micro soldering iron. Send me a PM and I’ll give you my phone number. You can send me some pictures of the port and I’ll look up the cost of a new surface mount port at Digikey just in case. I would only charge you shipping both ways and the cost of a new part if it’s needed.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #19
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
If the USB port gets bent enough it can disconnect from the circuit board. This happened to me with a power bank. It was easy to fix for me since I know soldering and I fixed a USB A port, but those micro-USB ports are tiny.
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
To get an estimated eBay value for any item , search and filter on condition e.g. spares repairs only then also filter for completed sales only.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Unfortunately, days after finding her KA1, she complained it wouldn't take a charge. As far as I have been able to determine, no cables will connect. These same cables power my KA1 LE just fine. There is a hairline crack in the case just above the USB port. Since she had stripped the nubs off a USB cable last month, I'm thinking she was struggling to connect the cable into the unit again. I tried to firmware reset the device just in case it was a software issue, but the KA1 died halfway through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.instructables.com/id/Qi-...on-an-ereader/
Isn't this an option for her new reader? No more need to charge the device using a cable, thus less chance of her accidentally breaking it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #22
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kinda falls apart at "Step 2: Connect the Receiver to the Ereader Using the Micro-usb Port"

And then the port is blocked, how do you transfer books?

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-07-2018 at 03:52 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damaged usb port, ka1, kobo aura one, libby, overdrive