Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #46
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
thanks for the review and the photos.
I was confused about the syncing too-- seems a bit overkill, do you need to have your book synced with all devices? could you not take your kindle everywhere- it's small and light..just a thought.

I don't see the problem with the lights at the bottom being such a big deal- this is MUCH better than having a normal e-reader with a book light (and i've tried them all).
I am still excited to get mine, I don't mind if there's a bit of unevenness down the page where the lights are.
As long as the screen is clear, and the page turn is quick and letters are sharp that's what matters to me. I can't wait to get mine!
Also i think even "paid'" reviewers are great- you cannot beat a good review from Gizmodo or endgadget or Anantech if they get it. They are thorough too..
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/30/a...rwhite-review/
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #47
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Given the unevenness of the light on my K3 cover I think that I'll be able to live with this small amount of variation at the bottom.
Agreed, it will be a big improvement over the lighted K3 case.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #48
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
My thoughts about the possible replication issue...

It is not a hardware problem, it is a infrastructure issue (network or webserver coding) assuming we have one. So I would not worry too much about it.

It could be the system is a bit overloaded, or a piece of programming code not working well for the new devices.

In my cases, even with DRM free books, it works most of the time. But it can take a few minutes to sync among devices.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #49
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
So much for the patented light technology!

But anyway, that kind of thing doesn't even bother me. If only I could get this in my country!
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #50
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
You guys crack me up! Do you want to see uneven light on an ereader? Check this out:

BAM! Uneven light.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PS: At 3:40 a.m. I have no idea how to make that picture smaller.
I saw that picture earlier (PRS-700) and wanted to say "Awww.... it's like looking at e-reader baby pictures!" I mentioned this on another thread, but isn't it so ironic that Sony was the first company to introduce an e-ink reader with integrated light and now they're the only one that doesn't have one? Did they just give up because it didn't work out the first time?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-05-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Enclosed oversized graphic in spoiler tags.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #51
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
thanks for the review and the photos.
I was confused about the syncing too-- seems a bit overkill, do you need to have your book synced with all devices? could you not take your kindle everywhere- it's small and light..just a thought.
/url]
Actually, I never know what device I will have on me at a given time, and so having my books in sync is vital. It's the reason I left the Nook. Also, note that other things don't sync either, such as bookmarks and highlights. Those are also important to me.

I'm sure Amazon will fix it. I was just hoping they'd have things working correctly out of the box.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
For many people that is probably true--they only need or want one device and Whispersyncing between multiple devices isn't that big of a deal for them. For those of us who read mostly non-fiction and do a lot of highlighting, bookmarking, et cetera and want to use our computers to better examine what we read on our Kindles, then Whispersyncing is a big deal. I do most of my reading on my Touch but prefer to use my computer to pull together the research I'm working on. So Whispersync is a deal maker for me and it must work.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #53
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I saw that picture earlier (PRS-700) and wanted to say "Awww.... it's like looking at e-reader baby pictures!" I mentioned this on another thread, but isn't it so ironic that Sony was the first company to introduce an e-ink reader with integrated light and now they're the only one that doesn't have one? Did they just give up because it didn't work out the first time?
Yeah it's really sad isn't it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #54
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Yes, I'm talking about using Whispersync to sync last page read and notes from the Kindle to other apps. I have an Android tablet, an Android smartphone, and an iPad, and they all stay in sync with each other. They do not, however, stay in sync with the Kindle.

I'll try deleting the apps from the other devices and re-downloading, and see if that helps.

Update: Okay, deleted the book from my Android tablet, then re-downloaded it. It opened up immediately to the same page as the iPad and Android smartphone, and the page the Android tablet was on when I deleted the book. It's quite a few pages back from where it is on the Kindle. So, in this case, I think it's the Kindle that's out of sync.

I have the same problem with my Kindle Fire HD and had posted about it in the Fire forum. All my Kindle apps sync with each other except the Fire HD. I hope this isn't the case with my PaperWhite when it arrives tonight.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 10-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #55
jswinden
Nameless Being

Whatever the Whispersync issues are, they are solvable with software fixes. So there is no unfixable flaw in any of Kindles or Fires. Amazon just needs to get the software sorted out on all the devices and in their cloud systems.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #56
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I have to say I'm disappointed by the reports thus far. All the advance hype gave the impression the lighting is perfect. One guy said he thought he was looking at a backlit display. And it was true. Those hands on videos at the launch, you could not tell where the light was coming from. All the amazon videos and pics show it perfectly even. Bezos says the light is so good you will want to use it all the time. The on screen instruction tells you as much.

Now, some review videos that came out after the embargo show the lighting is uneven. Some worse than others. I thought uh oh, but I was hoping it was just bad photography.

I'm not as psyched any more. Maybe I will cancel my order and wait a bit. Maybe they have some early production issues to work though.

Last edited by Barty; 10-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I have to say I'm disappointed by the reports thus far. All the advance hype gave the impression the lighting is perfect. One guy said he thought he was looking at a backlit display. All the amazon videos and pics show it perfectly even. Bezos says the light is so good you will want to use it all the time. The on screen instruction tells you as much.

Now, some review videos that came out after the embargo show the lighting is uneven. Some worse than others. But I was hoping it was just bad photography.

I'm not as psyched any more. Maybe I should hold off and wait a bit. Maybe they have some production issues to work though.
If you haven't ordered a PW yet it won't hurt to do so as any new order will take at least 3 weeks before being shipped. Within the next few days or weeks you should have a much better idea of whether the PW has a major light issue or whether this is a very minor issue. Many people will be getting PWs today, including myself, and we will report back on whether this is an important issue or not. I suspect it is a minor thing and no deal breaker.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #58
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Like I said earlier, we don't know if the brightness level on those photos showing bright spots was turned all the way up or at levels you would actually use. I know it may not correspond to the kindle but on my late, unlamented nook Glowlight I rarely turned the light level above one-quarter and almost all the way down reading in bed.

Also cameras tend to be more sensitive to light changes than the eye.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #59
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I haven't ordered a Paperwhite because I prefer to check out new devices locally before purchasing. These user reviews are very helpful!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #60
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If you haven't ordered a PW yet it won't hurt to do so as any new order will take at least 3 weeks before being shipped. Within the next few days or weeks you should have a much better idea of whether the PW has a major light issue or whether this is a very minor issue. Many people will be getting PWs today, including myself, and we will report back on whether this is an important issue or not. I suspect it is a minor thing and no deal breaker.
I preordered. It'll be here next Friday. I still have a week to decide.

I intend to use the light as advertised -- all the time -- as I don't like the grey background. I am giving up several things I love from the k3: extra physical space at the bottom that makes it easier for me to hold, TTS, page turn buttons, extra space for music files and hacked add ons. So I want the display to be a big, compromise-free leap forward to justify the upgrade.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote