Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #31
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The Android version by itself is unrelated, but updated/changed drivers shipped along could potentially alter behavior.

Did you try the prevent screen from turning off setting? It's under settings → screen → screen timeout.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #32
Norbi24
Connoisseur
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4, BOOX Poke2
Yes, I checked settings->screen->screen timeout -> Keep screen On ...
but unfortunately no change
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #33
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you say you have the problem with the August build, do you mean it used to be different?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #34
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Yes, previously I had 2019.04, it was working fine, but I was not using it as it was not supporting external dictonary apps, as this has been implemented now for 2019.07, I installed july build and since then it is occuring ... I even went back to 2019.06 just to isolate it, and there it is still fine ....

There must have occured something between june and july builds.

As I now am also able to build koreader on my Debian VM, I could checkout particular commits, build and test and thus isolate which commit may have caused this ...

If you or @pazos had any idea, where to start, I could do it next week and let you know

Thanks, Norbert
Old 08-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #35
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
Yes, previously I had 2019.04, it was working fine, but I was not using it as it was not supporting external dictonary apps, as this has been implemented now for 2019.07, I installed july build and since then it is occuring ... I even went back to 2019.06 just to isolate it, and there it is still fine ....

There must have occured something between june and july builds.

As I now am also able to build koreader on my Debian VM, I could checkout particular commits, build and test and thus isolate which commit may have caused this ...

If you or @pazos had any idea, where to start, I could do it next week and let you know

Thanks, Norbert
You need to look at specific changes in https://github.com/koreader/android-...commits/master.

AFAICT there is no suspicious commit but:

https://github.com/koreader/android-...e3de5defec5075 introduces some overhead (screen helper hold a reference to the activity context from onCreate to onDestroy). It shouldn't hurt on a single activity - single instance application but anyways.

https://github.com/koreader/android-...44858b8827e681 migrates to androidX support libraries. It shouldn't add overhead at runtime (it does quite a bit at buildtime)

And the only commit I would find suspicious (but was present in 2019.06 too):

https://github.com/koreader/android-...821fd583907184. It uses a surfaceview to make java aware of the native window and have means to control it. It seems to setup a HW accel renderer even if we don't use it. On the logs you'll see a lot of GL spam on supported devices. Tolinos w FW11 are the ones that spam all those logs. Any modern android phone will spam them too. Legacy ereaders on 4.0.? don't seem to enable a hw accel surface, which is nice because we don't really need it.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #36
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And one last thing we might consider: google does not want ICS. It is deprecated for NDK libraries. It is deprecated everywhere. Google suggest a minimum target of api level 16-17. Google didn't fix the emulator for that build.

So, developing a non standard android app for ICS is a real pain. And it is worst if it is deployed on a first-locked-now-rooted device with just 512mb.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #37
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Thanks, so the next logical step is to update for kitkat
(4.4.2) and try again, perhaps the problem would disappear
Old 08-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #38
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
Thanks, so the next logical step is to update for kitkat
(4.4.2) and try again, perhaps the problem would disappear
Never had a tolino so I'm not sure if switching back to FW10 is possible. In any case do it at your own risk.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #39
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Guys, wanted only report back - I upgraded my 2nd Tolino for FW 12.2 + open Android 4.4.2 and there it works fine (I mean no 4-5 sec. delays on opening the menus or TOC).

However, the problem on FW 10.1 (Android 4.0.4) occurs only sometimes - really sometimes as I reboot and start KOReader it runs reall smoothly (even a tick better than on later Android 4.4.2 - I have compared them having then side-by-side ...)

So for me the exremely long delays are perhaps really caused by the Android ICS ...
On 4.4.2 it works always fine, unfortunately only a tick showlier than on 4.0.4 - but this is due to the changes in E-Lnk screen refresh, right ?
Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #40
Frenzie
Wizard

There's a brand new build available which might resolve the problem. You can get it at http://build.koreader.rocks/download...78_2019-08-20/ (or just the regular on-device update).

It includes https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5221.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #41
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Hi Frenzie,
ONly wanted to give a feedback, the version you provided above didn't solve the issue (extremely slow menus + TOC on Tolino FW 10 (ICS).

But I had a discussion with @pazos here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322117

and the problem is definitely solved by his PR:

https://github.com/koreader/android-...ncher/pull/172

Thanks a lot
Norbert