Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Supreme (divine) forum rule: One question - one thread.
Otherwise the complaints come, one would spare the effort of different threads.

And even if you were right here, I will learn much more on this path, or better said on these paths. That's it!
In this case, all you needed doing is posting one post with all of your questions. You could have just asked for the best way to make the ToC and that would have done it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Questions do not arise all at once. It is a flowing matter - and a never ending story. Here I wish you will be favourably disposed towards the matters in my threads also in future.

If I ask more than one question in a thread, this will/can lead to focused emphasis. Hot debates here, forgotten aspects there. And no more overview.

Last edited by chaot; 02-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Questions do not arise all at once. It is a flowing matter - and a never ending story. Here I wish you will be favourably disposed towards the matters in my threads also in future.

If I ask more than one question in a thread, this will/can lead to focused emphasis. Hot debates here, forgotten aspects there. And no more overview.
And as you come up with new questions about your ToC, you ask in that thread instead of starting a new thread. That's forum etiquette.

If you have any more questions about your ToC, please ask in this thread.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-01-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
- multi issue threads encourages thread jacking, both lead to misunderstandings as to which and to who's issue a responder is addressing, as in ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...08&postcount=9

Re 'forum etiquette', I know of forums where repeated thread jacking has resulted in suspension and eventual expulsion.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-01-2017 at 04:41 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Chaot you are correct. You want to have separate, unrelated, questions in separate threads. I think Jon's issue is that both of these questions were related to formatting a ToC.

In any case, Jon has reported that he thinks the threads should be merged. If a moderator agrees, then they will be. Until then, don't worry about it and continue on.

I hope these answers are helping you and others reading the forums!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Although, as I said, I use something like:
<div class="someclass">
<p>something</p>
<p>someone</p>
<p>somewhere</p>
</div>
There's no need to use <p> at all. I avoid it when it's not running text:

Code:
<div class="someclass">
<div>something</div>
<div>someone</div>
<div>somewhere</div>
</div>
With <div>s (or <p>s) you can easily control spacing, margins, etc. With <br>s... not so simple (and it gets messy with long entries).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

@Jellby: It's just a 'feeling' - but your special <div> ... </div> code looks not good, looks strange. I think, we shouldn't use that.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does look a little strange, but it is completely legitimate.

You can use css to style almost anything exactly how you want it to look. The other side of that coin is needing to use the semantically correct tag. This defines the structure of your document: <h1-6> tags for headers, <p> for paragraphs, <li> for lists, <div> for some division, etc. Using the correct tag for any given item makes a difference....if you care about doing it the right way instead of just doing it however you can to get it to work.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #24
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Using the correct tag for any given item makes a difference....if you care about doing it the right way instead of just doing it however you can to get it to work.
That's my intention. Therefore (beside of learning to understand basic things) I am here. And I thank you all for your patient help in this effort.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would not use a <div> where a <p> should go. If I need to change how the <p> performs, I'll use a class for that. For <p>, I set it in CSS to be as I will most use it. I rather dislike <p class="indent"> in most <p> when just <p> will do. My <p> CSS sets the indent and the margins.

Code:
body {
widows: 1;
orphans: 1;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: justify;
}
p {
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
text-indent: 1.2em
}
That works for most <p> in a book and it looks good.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #26
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Jon, I think the topic of discussion here was setting up his TOC. So, semantically, a <div> is more correct than a <p>... the link is not a "paragraph"... it is an item in a list of links. So, semantically the more correct tag would be the <li>.

However, as I mentioned above, you can certainly use just about any tag and the right CSS will get it to look how you want... it just wouldn't be the correct-est way...
Old 02-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There's another thread that chaot has started on his ToC. So I don't see any problem with not sticking 100% on topic given that this thread is a duplicate. All of his ToC questions should be in that other thread.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #28
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

@JSWolf I will go more into the arguments as of the post of @Jellby #21 but here and now only one question.

Quote:
So I don't see any problem with not sticking 100% on topic given that this thread is a duplicate. All of his ToC questions should be in that other thread.
Which one do you mean?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

How are you getting on with your ToC?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #30
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Answer here