Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Moving libraries to another partition

I have a 1TB drive in my computer right now. I'm planning on having it partitioned it into two partitions, one a boot partition with only the OS and and the other with my data (I will farm the job out since all I have for my OS and Office 2007 is a slightly buggy recovery disk that has a ton of crapware on it and I want to get "virgin" versions of the OS and Office). When I get the machine back, I'll make an image of the boot partition so I can restore it myself if it ever gets wonked up, then install all the programs I actually use now on the boot partition and take an image of that.

Since I'm using three libraries right now, which are located on the C: drive right now, once they get relocated to the D: partition, how should I relink calibre to them (which will be installed on the C: drive)?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
how should I relink calibre to them (which will be installed on the C: drive)?
Just put them on D: and start Calibre. Assuming the old library is gone from C: it will tell you to choose the library to start with (0 books). Select the pull down to the right of the library icon, choose Switch/Create Library, then "Use existing library ..." and choose one. Do the same with the others and you're done. Calibre will know about all 3 and let you Quick Switch between them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, keep in mind I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous ( ) so bear with me here.

When I first boot up calibre after reinstalling it with my libraries already relocated to the D: drive, the Welcome Wizard will run automatically because it will not find a library. So, when prompted, I point calibre to my first library on the D: drive.

To get the next library, do I run the Welcome Wizard again and point to the next library (and same for the third)?

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-21-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Ok, keep in mind I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous ( )
It's simpler now than ever before. Just make sure you copy the entire library structure with metadata.db (and don't use any specialized batch files to start up Calibre that might have switches for library or configuration that you don't absolutely need).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It's simpler now than ever before. Just make sure you copy the entire library structure with metadata.db (and don't use any specialized batch files to start up Calibre that might have switches for library or configuration that you don't absolutely need).
Dang but you're fast! I wasn't finished with my post when I hit the wrong button (see what I mean about being dangerous?).

I will have the entire library folders cloned to the D: drive so no problem there (I also have everything backed up online and, being the paranoid old bitch I am, I'll make sure I have a current local backup as well so I'm not worried about losing it anyway). I quit using the batch files when the new library features came out.
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Dang but you're fast! I wasn't finished with my post when I hit the wrong button (see what I mean about being dangerous?).

I will have the entire library folders cloned to the D: drive so no problem there (I also have everything backed up online and, being the paranoid old bitch I am, I'll make sure I have a current local backup as well so I'm not worried about losing it anyway). I quit using the batch files when the new library features came out.
Rather than do a complete XP re-install, just to move Data folders:
Have you thought about other ways to re-partition a drive with active data? (Back-up is still highly recommended).
Delete browser cache, discard tmp files, Empty Trash, ((or run cleanup wizard. Don't compress old files)
Now Error check and Defrag your C drive from Windows.
(I would suggest temporarily disabling any active anti- whatever system monitors. Just dont fire up any mail/message/browser or better yet, pull the network cable)

Download a and Burn a Ubuntu "Live CD/DVD" .
Boot the CD (Also, evil way to get people to try it )
On the Systems Menu, Administrative: Select Partition Manager (AKA Gparted)
Resize the Windows partition smaller (Leave a little extra room for now).

You can also set the to be free space to be formatted NTFS at this time

Apply and wait Explore Ubuntu ,while you are waiting

Boot Normally, You might get an error and need to run the "Error check"
do it.
Once things are stable
Move data files (library) and get things working in their new home.
Now repeat all the steps (except the Formatting one) and move the C-D Partition divider to the left some more.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Rather than do a complete XP re-install, just to move Data folders:
Have you thought about other ways to re-partition a drive with active data? (Back-up is still highly recommended).
Delete browser cache, discard tmp files, Empty Trash, ((or run cleanup wizard. Don't compress old files)
Now Error check and Defrag your C drive from Windows.
(I would suggest temporarily disabling any active anti- whatever system monitors. Just dont fire up any mail/message/browser or better yet, pull the network cable)

Download a and Burn a Ubuntu "Live CD/DVD" .
Boot the CD (Also, evil way to get people to try it )
On the Systems Menu, Administrative: Select Partition Manager (AKA Gparted)
Resize the Windows partition smaller (Leave a little extra room for now).

You can also set the to be free space to be formatted NTFS at this time

Apply and wait Explore Ubuntu ,while you are waiting

Boot Normally, You might get an error and need to run the "Error check"
do it.
Once things are stable
Move data files (library) and get things working in their new home.
Now repeat all the steps (except the Formatting one) and move the C-D Partition divider to the left some more.
That won't accomplish what I want. I want a CLEAN install of XP on the new boot partition along with Office 2007 and any drivers, etc. needed to run the system (since I don't have disks for XP or Word 2007 except for the buggy recovery disk that came with the computer, I'll have to farm the job out to get clean installations; since I have a service contract on the machine, it will be cheaper to farm it out rather than buying the disks). No other programs. I also want only my data transferred over to the D: drive to avoid having any artifacts from the original XP installation being carried over.

Once I get the machine home, I'll make an image of the boot drive to keep in case I ever need a clean install again. Then I'll install the programs, printers, etc. I'm actually using and get everything updated. Once that is done, I'll make another image of the boot partition so I'll have that handy if I ever need to restore it with programs already installed (of course, these images will get backed up). I wouldn't even dream of hooking up my WiFi connection to the internet until I've installed the basic anti-malware software.

Which brings me back to this: When I first boot up calibre after reinstalling it with my libraries already relocated to the D: drive, the Welcome Wizard will run automatically because it will not find a library. So, when prompted, I point calibre to my first library on the D: drive.

To get the next library, do I run the Welcome Wizard again and point to the next library (and same for the third)?

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-21-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Once I get the machine home, I'll make an image of the boot drive to keep in case I ever need a clean install again. Then I'll install the programs, printers, etc. I'm actually using and get everything updated. Once that is done, I'll make another image of the boot partition so I'll have that handy if I ever need to restore it with programs already installed (of course, these images will get backed up). I wouldn't even dream of hooking up my WiFi connection to the internet until I've installed the basic anti-malware software.
And you claim that you are not at all technical.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:

No just click on the library icon, a dialog will pop up tell it you want to use an existing library at so and so location.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
And you claim that you are not at all technical.
Note that I am farming it out!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No just click on the library icon, a dialog will pop up tell it you want to use an existing library at so and so location.
Ok, here is where I'm getting a wee bit nervous (I'm a paranoid old broad). I've gone through the Welcome Wizard and calibre is now pointed to Library 1. While in Library 1, I click on the Library Icon. I leave "Use existing library at the new location" selection ticked, then, under "new Location:," browse to Library, then hit OK. Repeat for third Library. Is that right?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes .
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Thank you Kovid and everyone else! Such service!