Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
hippoherder
hippoherder has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 300
IPad vs Sony PRS 300 Pocket Edition

My wife bought me an IPad for Father's Day. I installed IBooks and the Kobo app on it with several books in each. I also am still using my Sony PRS 300 Pocket Edition. This is a comparison of the IPad and the Sony strictly as ebook readers.

Here are the ways the IPad is better than the Sony:
Books samples. This is a great way to decide if you want to buy a book. IBooks and Kobo both offer books samples for download. The Kobo samples are generally half as many pages as IBooks.
Offers direct access to the respective web bookstores for download. This is much better than with the Kindle or Nook as you do not have to wait for E-Ink screen refreshes. Searching for ebooks is a quick and easy as using a normal computer.
Large screen. I am a fast reader and have to turn the pages on the Sony often.
Page turns are much faster. I have not tested this, but the Sony Pocket Edition seems much slower than even other E-Ink devices when turning pages.
Easy and fast access to the books table of contents.
Does not require any extra light source when reading in the dark. For my Sony, I have to either leave a light on or grab my clip-on book light.
You can read books you have purchased from Kobo, Amazon, Barnes & Nobles and ITunes on the IPad. Unfortunately, you cannot read ebooks from the Sony ebookstore. I hope that Sony, Apple, or another party adds this functionality in the future.

The IPad also has several features that are nice, but not important enough to me to sway
my decision when it comes to choosing an ereader. This includes multiple fonts, built in
dictionary, search, etc.

Here is how the Sony PRS 300 is better than the IPad:
Small enough to carry in my pocket. In order to transport the IPad you need to carry it in hand or take a man-purse or other large bag.
Comfortable to hold for long periods of time. The IPad is heavy and I have to switch holding positions often while reading.
Batter life. I can go two weeks before recharging my Sony.
You can read DRM ebooks from almost any Ebookstore, such as Diesel, Kobo, Sony and many others. The only exceptions I know of are Amazon, Barnes $ Noble and ITunes. (I am not positive about B&N)
Library book check-out. In the last year I have borrowed around a dozen books from the two online libraries for which I have access here in Ohio. Considering the price of ebooks is rising, this has saved me well over $100, or over half the cost of my reader. If I borrow another 8 or so books I will have saved the total cost.

Both are very easy to read. The text is crisp and I have not experienced unusual eye strain from either device despite having read that E-Ink machines are easier on the eyes.

The IPad is very capable ereader but overall, I prefer the Sony. It is easier to carry with me and to hold for extended reading sessions. And perhaps I'm cheap, but the ability to save money by checking out titles is one of the biggest advantages to me. I love my IPad and use it every day to catch up on the news, surf the web, watch videos, etc. But when just want to just kick back and enjoy a good book, I reach for my Sony.
hippoherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
great comparison, thanks! Convenience is definitely a factor for many people who want to read anywhere at a moments notice, or just an idle time or two.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
LOL @ "In order to transport the IPad you need to carry it in hand or take a man-purse or other large bag. "
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
The iPad is a better all around device. it's not a better e-reader.

That's the simplest way to put it.

also, on carrying the ipad:
Colbert suit pocket
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, ipad, pocket edition, prs 300, sony