Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #391
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Forma, Topjoy Butterfly E601
Hallo,
that's unfortunate.
Thank you for your work!
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #392
ZDK
ZDK began at the beginning.

Device: FIRE 8HD
Page Curl animation?

With the conversion to KFX on Calibre to access Kindle's new typesetting...can you still get the page curl animation?
it seems that no matter how many times i try to convert an EPUB to KFX the page curl animation wont show. Is this a known issue?
ZDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #393
nystagmus
Connoisseur
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDK View Post
With the conversion to KFX on Calibre to access Kindle's new typesetting...can you still get the page curl animation?
it seems that no matter how many times i try to convert an EPUB to KFX the page curl animation wont show. Is this a known issue?
What device are you using and how did you get to import KFX into it?
The kindle app on android has curl animation, but the tested book was from Amazon directly. There is no way to import KFX into it, is there?
There is no curl animation on the Kindle eInk, it would not make sense.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #394
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I haven't seen any mention of page curl previously. I do not normally use this feature, but I just tried it with a sideloaded KFX book on a 7th Gen Fire tablet with the latest firmware, Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS. The page curl animation worked for me in all cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystagmus View Post
The kindle app on android has curl animation, but the tested book was from Amazon directly. There is no way to import KFX into it, is there?
KFX books can be sideloaded to the Kindle for Android app. Place them in the "Books" directory.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #395
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 3.20 of the Kindle Previewer is now available. New features include page thumbnails and searching content.

It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.

Added: After further testing I found that the plugin is not always picking up error messages from the new Previewer version when conversion fails. That will be fixed in the next plugin release.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-09-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #396
nystagmus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I haven't seen any mention of page curl previously. I do not normally use this feature, but I just tried it with a sideloaded KFX book on a 7th Gen Fire tablet with the latest firmware, Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS. The page curl animation worked for me in all cases.

KFX books can be sideloaded to the Kindle for Android app. Place them in the "Books" directory.
thank you!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #397
ZDK
ZDK began at the beginning.

Device: FIRE 8HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystagmus View Post
What device are you using and how did you get to import KFX into it?
There is no curl animation on the Kindle eInk, it would not make sense.
Im using the Fire 8HD---I know the page curl animation is in the Android & iOS apps--but Im trying to find out if it can be done natively via the libary on my tablet like my other books bought directly from Amazon

*maybe I'm doing something wrong?*
ZDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #398
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Im using the Fire 8HD---I know the page curl animation is in the Android & iOS apps--but Im trying to find out if it can be done natively via the libary on my tablet like my other books bought directly from Amazon
I don’t know if there is anything you can do to make it work.

It works for my on my Fire tablet, but it is a different model from yours.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #399
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Question:

Setup: Mac OS / latest plugin / kindle software maybe 1-2 versions back.
Kindle: PW2
Book format: epub ==> kfx conversion

Issue: I have noticed that when I click the next page I still see a sentence of two of the last line of the previous page as the first line or two of the next page. While this may seem helpful I find it rather annoying.

Is there any thing I can do to prevent this behavior? Is it a result of me messing up the conversion somehow?

Other than that, the software you generously have written works amazingly well. (it could all just be my fault for all I know though)
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #400
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
I don't think there is, but also, I don't think it is this plugin's fault. That happens sometimes to me as well, and I don't use KFX conversion, just good old azw3 with hypenate-this! plugin.
I think it's firmware behavior.

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #401
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Issue: I have noticed that when I click the next page I still see a sentence of two of the last line of the previous page as the first line or two of the next page. While this may seem helpful I find it rather annoying.

Is there any thing I can do to prevent this behavior? Is it a result of me messing up the conversion somehow?
I haven't see this problem and I can't think of anything that you or the plugin could be doing to cause it.

You can rename one of the books that has this problem from -.kfx to -.azw8 and open it with the Kindle Previewer and see if the problem occurs there. If so then I would like to diagnose this further. If not then the problem most likely lies in the firmware on your Kindle.

I recommend always using the latest Kindle firmware for reading KFX files. Amazon has made changes to the format over time and this plugin in conjunction with the Kindle Previewer may produce KFX files that will not display properly using older firmware.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #402
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.16.0 - 20 Feb 2018

Add support for Kindle Previewer version 3.20. (Fixes conversion error message detection.)

Allow repackaging of KFX-ZIP files into KFX containers using the command line interface. This works only for files that do not contain DRM.

Improve detection of unsupported KFX features.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #403
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 3.20.1 of the Kindle Previewer is now available. It has bug fixes in the part of the program that displays books, but the part involved in KFX conversion is unchanged from the previous release (3.20). It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #404
wzyboy
wzyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite [1-4]
Optionally use calibre UUID as fake ASIN if real ASIN is not present

Hi,

thanks for your great plugin!

I am trying to convert some home-made ebooks (there are no Amazon counterparts so there are no ASIN) from ePub to KF8/KFX. These books have built-in covers, but as we know, new Kindle firmware refuses to display built-in covers unless the book is a PDOC. What calibre does to workaround this, is:

1. set the cdetype to EBOK, instead of PDOC;
2. insert the calibre UUID into MOBI EXTH 113 field;
3. upload a corresponding cover image into "/system/thumbnails/" director.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...r.py#L464-L487

This essentially inserts calibre UUID as fake ASIN into the book. Kindle does not distinguish a real ASIN and a fake ASIN, it just loads covers from "/system/thumbnails/" by "thumbnail_{asin}_{cdetype}_portrait.jpg" filename, so home-made ebooks could have nice covers without "Personal" banner.

Currently, "KFX Output" plugin inserts ASIN into the ebook only if a real ten-digit ASIN startswith "B" exists. I think there could be an option to insert fake ASIN (calibre UUID) if real ASIN could not be found.
wzyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #405
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzyboy View Post
Currently, "KFX Output" plugin inserts ASIN into the ebook only if a real ten-digit ASIN startswith "B" exists.
The "Always create book instead of personal document" option in the KFX Output tab of the conversion dialog can be used to force the CDE type and generate a fake ASIN value. This is documented near the end of the "Showing Cover Thumbnail Images on E-Ink Kindle Devices" section in the first post of this thread.

What is currently lacking is code in calibre to extract the ASIN value from KFX files when creating cover thumbnail images on a kindle device. The existing code handles only azw/azw3 book format. Someone (not me) would need to submit a patch to calibre to fix this.

For now you can instead use the ExtractCoverThumbs program, which is already able to perform this function, as documented in the place I mentioned above.

Added:
A patch to calibre shouldn't be very difficult, but I have no interest in figuring out the details, testing and submitting it. In the code you highlighted the line:
Code:
            mh = MetadataHeader(f, default_log)
extracts the metadata from a Mobi (azw/azw3) file. This would need to be changed to detect if the file is KFX format and use a different method of extracting metadata in that case. There is an example of how to do this earlier in kindle/driver.py.

Then, in the code that immediately follows, the cdetype and asin values extracted from the KFX file would be used instead of mh.exth.cdetype and mh.exth.uuid.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine