Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Show Marked as a Column

In the Cover Grid View there's a feature whereby Marked Books are shown with a gold star 'imprinted' on the cover.

How can I do something similar in the spreadsheet view

I know how to search for marked:true, and I know how to click the three blue bars - but that is not what I want

I want the equivalent of the Gold Star I see in the Cover Grid view as a column on the spreadsheet. I expected to find a template function called something like isMarked that I could use in a custom column - but I'm darned if I can see anything like it.

tia BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Currently no way to do it. I will look at adding a template function, but don't hold your breath.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries chaley, I'll add a my own 'followup' column - it'll have the advantage of persistence

If you add a template function you'll need to have a warning that the "Marks" don't persist - maybe that's why nothings been done to date.

BR
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator

Follow up thought - rather than adding a template function and the problems that might introduce because of the temporal nature of Marks, it might be better to have a tweak to specify spreadsheet row highlighting of marked books with - Bold, Italics and/or Underline .

BR
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW the template function isn't going to happen. Marks are stored in the "table view" abstraction layer in calibre, which is above the book metadata view that templates use. Because of this, templates cannot see the marks. This could be changed, but it is more work than I am willing to sign up for.

Are you suggesting that the entire line be subject to the selected highlighting, or just the row number? Instead of all that, I would rather put it as an icon on the header. Something like as shown in the attachment. It isn't hard to do, but I have no idea if Kovid would approve. I will ask him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	240
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	112513  
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW the template function isn't going to happen. Marks are stored in the "table view" abstraction layer in calibre, which is above the book metadata view that templates use. Because of this, templates cannot see the marks. This could be changed, but it is more work than I am willing to sign up for.
I guessed it might be something like that - IMO given the following, a template is not necessary, nor even desirable.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the entire line be subject to the selected highlighting, or just the row number? Instead of all that, I would rather put it as an icon on the header. Something like as shown in the attachment. It isn't hard to do, but I have no idea if Kovid would approve. I will ask him.
Yes I was suggesting the entire line - but only because I wanted something obvious - an icon on the row number would be just as good. I assume that's the green tick on the row number? Can I suggest a gold star a'la cover grid. Then a gold star means the same in both views **

BR

** I wouldn't have used a gold star in the cover grid, initially I thought it had something to do with ratings - which I don't use, I disdainfully remove them if I happen to get one inadvertently. I would have used an M
Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I want the equivalent of the Gold Star I see in the Cover Grid view as a column on the spreadsheet. I expected to find a template function called something like isMarked that I could use in a custom column - but I'm darned if I can see anything like it.

tia BR
Just a weird question...what is that marked/star icon thing for anyway?

ty
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes I was suggesting the entire line - but only because I wanted something obvious - an icon on the row number would be just as good. I assume that's the green tick on the row number? Can I suggest a gold star a'la cover grid. Then a gold star means the same in both views
I don't care if it is a green check, a gold star, a EUR symbol, or a devil's head.

As I said, the code in calibre is easy, but the decision to include it isn't mine. Kovid will need to weigh performance and long-term support issues. Also note that the temp marker plugin will need to change to tell calibre's GUI when it adds or removes marks. As it is today, nothing in the GUI display when a mark is changed until the book selection moves. To fix this, when marks are changed the plugin must tell the GUI which books are involved.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
I don't care if it is a green check, a gold star, a EUR symbol, or a devil's head.

As I said, the code in calibre is easy, but the decision to include it isn't mine. Kovid will need to weigh performance and long-term support issues. Also note that the temp marker plugin will need to change to tell calibre's GUI when it adds or removes marks. As it is today, nothing in the GUI display when a mark is changed until the book selection moves. To fix this, when marks are changed the plugin must tell the GUI which books are involved.
@chaley It wouldn't bother me too much if I did not see them immediately - pending updates to Temp Marker and Find Duplicates - I can do a Refresh View manually. One of the afflictions from which I don't suffer is the need for instant gratification. Maybe the symbol for Marked books could be tweakable - Kovid could have a gold star, you could have something different for each day of the week and I could have a fat red M (someone will then want symbols that vary according to what did the Marking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
Just a weird question...what is that marked/star icon thing for anyway?
@gabby98 - seems a normal question to me, but then I'm probably weird.

I know that both the Temp Marker PI and Find Duplicates PI 'mark' books, but there maybe other plugins or functions that do it too.

I use the Temp Marker PI to 'mark' books that that I need to do something about - e.g check the spelling of an authors name - once I've finished doing what I am doing.

When I saw the 'gold star' in cover grid and realised what it was, I thought - I could do with something like that in the spreadsheet view.

Yesterday I finally got round to trying to do it. When I couldn't figure out how to do it, I created this thread. Then chaley chimed in and told me that not only was I barking up the wrong tree looking for isMarked, but there is no tree up which I can bark.

The "Mark" is transient, so I must remember to search for marked=true before I close calibre - otherwise I'll forget about that book I saw with the odd author name - e.g 'Paolo Krudman' that should maybe be 'Paul Krugman'

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BR

Weird has to stick together lol

Thanks for the explanation. It helped a lot and now I know about another plugin I want to try.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
@chaley
I use the Temp Marker PI to 'mark' books that that I need to do something about - e.g check the spelling of an authors name - once I've finished doing what I am doing.

The "Mark" is transient, so I must remember to search for marked=true before I close calibre - otherwise I'll forget about that book I saw with the odd author name - e.g 'Paolo Krudman' that should maybe be 'Paul Krugman' BR
Interesting approach, definitely one I had not considered. My only problem is that by the time I got back to the marked book, I would have forgotten what I wanted to correct! I've started tagging books instead, using <initials>_<correction needed>. I include my initials just in case some weird downloaded metadata tag uses similar wording for a completely different concept. I like downloaded metadata because it offers a different perspective. However, let's face it, sometimes downloaded metadata is also... quite peculiar.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator

@Sabardeyn - in the time it would take me to tab to the tag column, type BR_should this be Krudman or Krugman? I could have bought the NYT, and be be talking to Laura at The Chipped Cup over cafés au lait.

In other words I could have done what I need to do in the time it would take to do what you would do to remind yourself what you need to do later

Just kidding For now I'll stick with Ctrl/Alt/M to mark book. Most of my stuff doesn't have downloadable metadata and what's in the 'book' is either non existent or nonsense.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-02-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure I work slower then you. Besides, I would recommend something more like BR_AuthName rather than the full problem description you used.

My system is meant to be more of a flag and memory jogger. Particularly since I find multiple issues need to be resolved, sometimes across multiple books, at one time. Thus my total resolution time is probably substantially longer than your own work flow/methodology.

But that is one of calibre's strongest points: with multiple workflow methods, calibre operates in the same manner as it's user does.

PS: Tell Laura I said hello!

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 10-02-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
@ Sabardeyn - I use Reading List plugin instead of tags. If I feel like doing some corrections, I look at the list. I do try to resist the temptation to have a list for every type of correction needed, but it's hard.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
gabby98
Wizard

Quote:
@chaley It wouldn't bother me too much if I did not see them immediately - pending updates to Temp Marker and Find Duplicates - I can do a Refresh View manually. One of the afflictions from which I don't suffer is the need for instant gratification. Maybe the symbol for Marked books could be tweakable - Kovid could have a gold star, you could have something different for each day of the week and I could have a fat red M (someone will then want symbols that vary according to what did the Marking)

@gabby98 - seems a normal question to me, but then I'm probably weird.

I know that both the Temp Marker PI and Find Duplicates PI 'mark' books, but there maybe other plugins or functions that do it too.

When I saw the 'gold star' in cover grid and realised what it was, I thought - I could do with something like that in the spreadsheet view.

Yesterday I finally got round to trying to do it. When I couldn't figure out how to do it, I created this thread. Then chaley chimed in and told me that not only was I barking up the wrong tree looking for isMarked, but there is no tree up which I can bark.

The "Mark" is transient, so I must remember to search for marked=true before I close calibre - otherwise I'll forget about that book I saw with the odd author name - e.g 'Paolo Krudman' that should maybe be 'Paul Krugman'

BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
@BR

Weird has to stick together lol

Thanks for the explanation. It helped a lot and now I know about another plugin I want to try.

Loving Temp Marker PI....thanks for bringing it to my attention