Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #91
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If they use a constant current source, it almost sounds like they ramp the PWM down, or just stop it to kill the light. If that's the case, it could be a cap discharging in the constant current driver, or just if they ramp the PWM down and something holds that ramp up from executing for a few cycles...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #92
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi,

I've soldered a 36k ohm and it works like a charm.

Really big big thank for your feedback and help Yoq !!!!
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #93
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Hi,

I've soldered a 36k ohm and it works like a charm.

Really big big thank for your feedback and help Yoq !!!!
Can you post a photo?
met67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #94
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I would add a wired resistor like this:

It's not the right one though, it should be 3x orange (33k or a bit higher)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiredres.jpg
Views:	4402
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	105987  
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #95
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
It's not the right one though, it should be 3x orange (33k or a bit higher)
If we want to have more possible settings when the kobo is set in LOW brightness, must we use a lower or higher resistor (I never use high settings so I can forget this mode).
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #96
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If we want to have more possible settings when the kobo is set in LOW brightness, must we use a lower or higher resistor (I never use high settings so I can forget this mode).
A lower one, but if you go too low the LEDs will be completely dark at the lowest setting. That is why I recommend 33k. I tried 22k and it was too low, but 30k might still work.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #97
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Well, what about a potentiometer? Too much big?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #98
akorx
Addict

Another question : the brightness setting seems to be 1 / 2 / 3 / etc and if I want to use 1.5, I can't... so my question : if I use a 30k ohm for example (or another value lower like 27), will it increase the number of available values ​​between the "old 1" and and the "old 2" or just change it in 3 and 4 ?

For example :

Case 1 :

Old 1 will become 3
Old 2 will become 4

=> the number of available values is not increased.

Case 2 :

Old 1 will become 3
Old 2 will become 7

=> the number of available values is increased.

???

NB : sorry if you don't understand what I want to say, it's not esay for my to explain it in english... I just wanna know if a good choice of resistor can let us access to more intermediate values in lower levels.

Last edited by akorx; 05-20-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #99
yoq
Developer

Yes, there should be finer steps with a lower resistor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Well, what about a potentiometer? Too much big?
Sure, potiometers come in all sizes.

Last edited by yoq; 05-20-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #100
akorx
Addict

Hi my friends,

I've changed the 36k ohms to a 30k and it's better, I can now use more values of brightness in lower settings and find the good one for my eyes.

Just before to close this very interesting post, do you think that a 20k should be better or it's to low (that can help other people that will it read later) ?

Last edited by akorx; 05-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #101
yoq
Developer

Quote:
Hi my friends,

I've changed the 36k ohms to a 30k and it's better, I can now use more values of brightness in lower settings and find the good one for my eyes.

Just before to close this very interesting post, do you think that a 20k should be better or it's to low (that can help other people that will it read later) ?
You MIGHT get more/finer steps with 20k, BUT at the lowest setting the light will be completely off because all the current goes into the resistor.

Last edited by yoq; 05-23-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #102
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
ey , hello i want to solder a resistor too! , but first one question or two;

Also hardware , what more do i need , i mean i have a kobo glo , last FW , do i have to install something to controll the brightness once i have done the circuit? i dont saying its easy because i never do it , so just wanted to know. First aff all i have to buy the things that i need, So what do you recomend 30k or 33k resistor , or ohm like akorx user, thank you.
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #103
yoq
Developer

No, you don't need any software. It is simply darker on the lowest setting and the same on the highest setting:

I recommend a 33kOhm (33000 Ohm) resistor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	br.png
Views:	1365
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	111940  
Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #104
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I recommend a 33kOhm (33000 Ohm) resistor
ok
Quote:
I would add a wired resistor like this
so i need wired resistor too? it is better ? and this should be solder between the red area with the blue area ?
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #105
yoq
Developer

Just one. You can choose. The wired is easier to solder but it has the same effect. If you decide to do the wired version, solder at TP65 and at the left side of CA1.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...stcount2517671