Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #76
cobrax3
Connoisseur
cobrax3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
thanks for taking the time to write to me again
speaking of the last paragraph, you are funny sometimes
i already have one, thank you, bought a couple of years ago, and jb-ed here at the time.

at step 2, did that, it threw the error, the update was not successful. update error code 4

it said to press power button
it rebooted ,and i *think i saw that message to the bottom!
going for the rest now
will report back asap
of course, i'm not bothering you, not now, not ever.
p.s. thanks again! even if it doesn't work

edit: the message appears at every boot and it says mkk keys. i guess i'm good now?
brb

edit2:
;log mrpi still doesnt do anything

edit3:
tried placing a RUNME.sh script which contained:
#!/bin/sh
echo weffwew > test.log

into the root, did ;log runme
nothing happened
so somethink is still borked

Last edited by cobrax3; 02-19-2018 at 09:33 AM.
cobrax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #77
cobrax3
Connoisseur

tried also with
#!/bin/sh
echo weffwew > /mnt/us/test.log

still nothing
Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #78
cobrax3
Connoisseur

what i'm seeing in the root folder is this folder named .active_content_sandbox
which wasnt there before i think
hmm
Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrax3 View Post
what i'm seeing in the root folder is this folder named .active_content_sandbox
which wasnt there before i think
hmm
It is suppose to be there, it is part of the Amazon system, leave it alone.

If you couldn't reboot into coplate's package of the hot fix - - -
Put it at the topmost, visible level of USB storage, "safely remove" the USB cable, then go into the Kindle's settings menu and try the Update (Your Kindle - UYK) menu entry.

If the menu entry is still grayed out and/or the Kindle system deletes the update package as soon as you remove the USB cable - -
Stop
Post details of the problem in coplate's snapshot thread.
(Many authors subscribe to the release thread of their projects, so posting in that thread is the best way to get notification to coplate (PM is too invasive) ).

Last edited by knc1; 02-19-2018 at 06:16 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #80
cobrax3
Connoisseur

i think the jailbreak is complete, it did what you sait it would, updated. but it threw error code 4. still, after i revooted, i have now the message mkk keys at every boot. doesn't that mean it is done?
yes, the update button is greyed. the bin's i am putting in the root i think stay there unless i reboot. will check again tonight, just to be sure.
will report back. thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #81
cobrax3
Connoisseur

just tried it. yes kindle deletes the bin that i put in the root, as soon as i unplug it
should i still go to coplate's thread? because i get the mkk keys when i boot up the device
thanks a million again!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #82
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
just tried it. yes kindle deletes the bin that i put in the root, as soon as i unplug it
should i still go to coplate's thread? because i get the mkk keys when i boot up the device
thanks a million again!
Hmm...
So that would have been 2?
You see a message on-screen when you reboot it, but ;log mrpi does not work?
You have not installed an Amazon update image since you did the jailbreak file over the serial port?

If that is the situation, then I have never heard of the combination before.

re-installing any of the 'hotfix' packages, even if not required, does no harm.

Try this one now:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5
(That is one post after the one already used.)
try both ways - rebooting into it and using UYK - whichever one works.

There will not be any confirmation message when it installs.

then try your ;log runme test script again.
Be sure the script name is correct (it is case sensitive) RUNME.sh (without any extension, like .txt, added by your pc text editor) and the lines of the script must have unix line endings.

Last edited by knc1; 02-20-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #83
cobrax3
Connoisseur

well, since i f*ed up something with the order of things, it might be a particular case, indeed, lol.
i did the jb.sh over the serial, it copied the pem, but the hotfix didnt do anything. at this point the screen was still garbled and you told me to update with any customer image, which i did, and that worked well to unbrick it. afterwards you helped me again and told.me how to install the hotfix again, and i did, it threw error 4 but after restart now it says mkk keys. so the jb probably works.
ill try the new hotfix right now.
brb
Old 02-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #84
cobrax3
Connoisseur

no go, it says immediately update error, invalid update
what is UYK? oh the button you mean? its greyed
also im using notepad++ set to unix, so it should be ok
;dm also does nothing

Last edited by cobrax3; 02-20-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #85
cobrax3
Connoisseur

there is something funky going on too
when connected to pc, it says the usual if you want to read, eject, etc
but when i eject it, the message stays on the screen. i have to unplug it to get rid of it. it did that from the beginning, so nothing new, but thought i should mention it
Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #86
knc1
Going Viral

The fog clears:
Quote:
1) i did the jb.sh over the serial, it copied the pem,
2) but the hotfix didnt do anything.
3) at this point the screen was still garbled
4) and you told me to update with any customer image, which i did, and that worked well to unbrick it.
(4) installed a complete system image, which included /etc/uks/<contents>
Since we are not in tight with Amazon/Jeff Bezos (who thinks even sold Kindles belong to him), that new system image did not include our *.pem file.
Repeat (1) above, then close it back up.
Then the rest of the work can be done via software.

New fact:
error code: 4 == signature failure (no matching signature certificate found)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #87
cobrax3
Connoisseur

no, the pem is there, i took out the serial long after the last update, checked multiple times
and wasnt the jb supposed to survive any update?

Last edited by cobrax3; 02-21-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #88
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
no, the pem is there, i took out the serial long after the last update, checked multiple times
The "hotfix" is the part that survives updates.
"Hotfix" also reinstall the jailbreak if it is missing
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:22 AM   #89
cobrax3
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
The "hotfix" is the part that survives updates.
"Hotfix" also reinstall the jailbreak if it is missing
hi coplate
so what does that mean?
i have the .pem
i installed the hotfix, and even though it threw error 4, now i have on reboot ***mkk keys*** message
doesn't this mean that i am jb'ed?
if so, why don't the ; commands work?

now i'm on 5.8.4
Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #90
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Where you looking at the Diags system or the Main system?
Remember - - you where running diags and the devices are dual boot. Jail breaking the diags system is pointless.

Look up the terminal capture log of when and where you looked, compress it and post it.
OR
Just do it again and do it right.