Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 05:11 AM   #16
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
I made a second attempt with the USB ethernet adapter and this time it worked
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
Thanks, I wanted to try the ethernet adapter to have VNC over usb, (as the tethering via USB is not available without root), but was not sure it would work... time to buy and test !

@Jayjee, I too have a mess of cables !
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is now a wiki page for OTG on an Onyx Boox for future reference and tweaking the instructions as needed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #19
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

I doubt it matters, but for reference, the following is the USB ethernet adapter I used:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-lin...etwork-adapter

I think I've got a different adapter so intend to try that too.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #20
sogaiu
Addict

Found another adapter and that worked fine too

For reference, I've only tried with the ethernet settings for DHCP.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:09 AM   #21
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is now a wiki page for OTG on an Onyx Boox for future reference and tweaking the instructions as needed.
Dale
Thanks to feed the Wiki !
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:15 AM   #22
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
Found another adapter and that worked fine too

For reference, I've only tried with the ethernet settings for DHCP.
Please, don't forget to feed the Wiki
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #23
sogaiu
Addict

I was about to update the Wiki page to mention ethernet adapters, but I've only tested them on a Max 2. May be it would be more helpful / useful if the Wiki page tracked which models have been tested with which equipment...
Old 02-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #24
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
I was about to update the Wiki page to mention ethernet adapters, but I've only tested them on a Max 2. May be it would be more helpful / useful if the Wiki page tracked which models have been tested with which equipment...
Could you elaborate on how you connected the ethernet adapter and what happens when the device recognizes it?
I connected a virtual ethernet adapter but no icon/notification showed up. Plus under the settings, if I try to uncheck the ethernet, the setings crash. The ip remains 0.0.0.0
Though the ip and mac are shown when wifi is connected.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 02:09 AM   #25
sogaiu
Addict

I don't recall the precise steps from earlier attempts, but I just tried the following with success:

0. Connect the USB ethernet adapter to an appropriate network cable and the special cable / hub (ensuring power is available), but DON'T connect the cable / hub to the Onyx device just yet
1. Start the 'real' Settings app
2. Under 'Wireless & Networks', choose 'More'
3. On the next screen, choose 'Ethernet'
4. Physically connect the micro USB port of the cable / hub to the Max 2
5. Select the toggle for the 'Ethernet' option and observe the text value underneath change to 'Ethernet is enabled' (note that 'Ethernet Ip mode' has the value 'dhcp')
6. Wait a little and observe various fields on the screen get filled in with sensible values for network settings (e.g. IP address, netmask, gateway, etc.)

Subsequent to this, pinging local machines (e.g. via termux) or using a web browser works for the most part.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 AM   #26
sogaiu
Addict

FWIW, I tried to get ethernet to work with an ordinary Max, but haven't had any success so far.

Last edited by sogaiu; 02-14-2018 at 04:24 AM. Reason: minor grammatical correction
Old 02-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #27
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
I bought this https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071XL7N2C cable and connected an usb stick as prove of concept.
I thought it would be nice to have an angled micro usb plug, the downside of this is that it hides the
audio jack.
As opposed to a normal mounted stick the leds of the stick keep blinking most of the time,
whatever that means. Could that be related to the silly restriction to use media transfer protocol
imposed by android 6? The problem with that is I don't know if file transfer is completed.
It's automounted as extsd.
If the powered cable is plugged into Max2 a wakeup is triggered and for a short time the load
symbol appears. Some active usb hubs promise to prevent any power reflow to device, so I wonder
if that would be better than a plain cable. In any case the device gets a signal that something is
plugged in despite the fact no usb device is actually present.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
utkarshj
Enthusiast

Power reflow is bad for some devices, better make sure that there is no backflow to prevent any damage. You can easily remove a bit of black sheath and snip off the power wires in the cable going towards the ereader.

Thanks for the ethernet adapter instructions.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #29
sogaiu
Addict

I've noticed that when the hub is connected, initially the led on the Max 2 turns on for a bit and some time later it turns off.

I've ordered a couple of appropriate-looking cables for further tests, but it appears it may take a while for them to arrive.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #30
sogaiu
Addict

FWIW, the cables arrived and I've done some more tests for the Max 2.

Connected an ordinary unpowered hub with both a pointing device and keyboard -- so far it seems fine.

USB ethernet adapter seemed to work, though possibly slightly flaky. Need to test more and possibly with different adapters.

Last edited by sogaiu; 02-20-2018 at 10:00 PM.