Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #436
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaanen View Post
Hello,

first of all, thank you for your great application. It's everything i wished for... except it has a few issues on the last pocketbook, which is understandable considering its very new.

The first one is that i can't change the reading mode (left to right / right to left). Considering i read manga, i want to be able to read from left to right, unfortunately switching the setting doesnt modify anything and the manga still follow traditional occidental book order (whether its with touchscreen or buttons). This is kind of a big issue for me unfortunately

Also, the configuration is a little bit unresponive. When i chose to remove the title bar for example, i have to reboot the app in order to see the modifications. I also don't have the option to chose 16 bits as color depth, which is the color depth of the new Inkpad 3 even though i specified it in a 740.cfg put at G:\system\share\pbiv. The file still seems to be recognized, as modifting some parameters of it results in changes on the app

Also, i don't know if it's related to the app or not, but i would love to have thumbnails, unfortunately the explorer only shows a simple text as cover of the book in the explorer. do you know how to show cover in cbz files ?

thank you very much
I wonder if some of the problems you have are because you are trying to use the configuration menu to change things on a book-by-book basis. The first options are mostly applied when a book is opened, and changing them in the configuration doesn't take effect until the book is opened again. That is definitely true of the reading direction and status bar items. If you want to change them just for the book that you are reading, you can do that without using the configuration menu.

For changing reading direction, hold the Next or Prev button down for a few seconds (Next for left-to-right and Prev for right-to-left). See the post three places above yours for an explanation of what is affected by the reading direction option, in case you are expecting something else from it.

You can use the "Toggle status bar" item in the "More..." menu to enable/disable the status bar on the fly (you can tap in the top right corner to get the "More..." menu directly).

The application currently handles 4, 8 and 24 bits for the depth, there is no option for 16 bits. 24 bits is for the colour e-ink model only (8 bits each for R,G,B). All of the previous models used 4 bits for the actual screen depth (16 shades of grey). 8 bits was simpler and faster for the software to handle, but it was internally converted to 4 bits by the hardware. I'd be surprised if the new device actually had 16 bits depth (64k shades of grey). Perhaps you have mistaken the number of shades for the bit depth?

Finally, thumbnails are outside the scope of the application, but see the recent post by trewelu for details on how to add thumbnails yourself. I didn't think it was a good idea to add that functionality to pbimageviewer itself, because you wouldn't get the thumbnail until after the book was loaded, which is probably too late to be useful.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:15 AM   #437
vaanen
vaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Hello,

so i think i misunderstood many things. First of all, you are right, i misunderstood color depth with shades of grey. It indeed has 16 shades of grey

For the reading directions, i didn't quite get what it does reading the post. However, i may have the impression we are talking about differnnt things reading it. The person asking the same question than me seemed to have gottent the wrong impression too about the mode. What we were looking for is to go through right page to left page like a normal manga would, meaning if we take two page, the first one is on the right, the second one is on the left and not like a classical occidental book (so swiping left would advance in the book, and swiping right would go back). It doesnt seem to be whats this feature is about. Do you know if that would be possible to add ? This is a pretty important part for me.

For the unresponsive menu saving, i only had one CBZ so it couldn't have been about that. It worked in the end so that was no big deal, i just thought that would may be why the reading mode was not working, but i figure its because it is not meant to do what i thought it would

As for the thumbnails, i wouldnt mind at all having to open the book beforehand. Plus i never read a book all at once, so it would be ok, or at least that would be much better than current, where the books display text, which doesnt even display properly with some japanese manga using japanese.

btw, whats the difference between pbimageviewer.app-fwv5 and pbimageviewer.app-fwv5-dbg ?

thank you very much

Last edited by vaanen; 02-21-2018 at 05:39 AM.
vaanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #438
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I believe Color E-Ink is 16 bits. 4 colors, RGBW of 4 Bits each. See our wiki for E Ink Triton. The White is also 4 bits of gray levels. Although all ones and all zeros have special significance.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #439
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Swiping is complicated, and even more so if you change the reading direction from right-to-left. Usually, swiping pans the image (i.e. it drags it along with your finger). If the image cannot be moved along the axis of the finger movement, then the swipe is interpreted as a Next or Prev button push. The interpretation is based on occidental book layouts (i.e. swiping right-to-left turns to the next page, and left-to-right to the previous page). I suppose that I should change that interpretation when the right-to-left reading direction is selected. However, that doesn't help with your situation where the pages are very wide and the image will be panned.

PocketBook reader software uses tap zones rather than swiping for page turning. pbimageviewer tries to emulate the same behaviour for the tap zones. So, I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the tap zones on the device, and use those for turning pages. Use swiping only when you want to pan the image across the screen.

For reading a two-page manga layout, select "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape" as the zoom mode, and then tap near the middle edge of the screen to step forward, and tap near the bottom corner of the screen to step backward. The reading direction controls how the stepping across the two pages is done.

The -dbg version is the debug version of the application, and contains debugging information that allows it to be run using the gdb debugger software. It is meant for developers who are trying to track down bugs. It doesn't offer any useful features other than that.

I'll think about adding the thumbnail feature, but probably won't if it is a lot of work to implement. I still think it would be best accomplished using different software, but I acknowledge that it is unlikely that that software will ever be written.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:46 AM   #440
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe Color E-Ink is 16 bits. 4 colors, RGBW of 4 Bits each. See our wiki for E Ink Triton. The White is also 4 bits of gray levels. Although all ones and all zeros have special significance.

Dale
Yes, that sounds right for the hardware. The menu item in the program is used to select between loading archived images as 24 bit RGB images, or as 4 or 8 bit grayscale images. The system library that displays the loaded images converts those to the proper bit format for the hardware.
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #441
mobileja
mobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animalsmobileja is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
hello

first thank you for the time and effort to develop this great application that complements our electronic readers.

I join the request to develop the cover page option for the library. I think it would greatly improve the experience of using the device. hopefully it will be easy to implement and soon we can enjoy it.

I tried on my 631 (Tocuch HD 2) device the trewelu procedure but I couldn't see the covers. maybe I need some format, specific size for the png file? maybe it just works on your model?

thanksgiving

PS: Apologies for my English
mobileja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #442
vaanen
vaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animalsvaanen is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
@rkomar

thanks. The swiping is ok if it's not perfect, actually i don't like swiping that much, i was thinking that in a general matter, i press with buttons generally and i was thinking of using the left to advance in the book instead of right when i was writing my post

And yeah I would really love to see the covers in recent and explorer, it would become such a killer app for manga reader and turn pocket book readers into incredible manga readers, because now we have to go either with a kinda messy explorer with blanks icons (my japanese manga are even worse, the characters are not displayed properly so i cant even know sometimes what is what without the covers) or go through through the hassle of converting everything in epub and resize pictures for a specific model, which alters our files just to show in full screen and thats very annoying.

I love my pocketbook, but i have a huge collection and this is very tedious and takes too much time and space to make, specially considering i'll need double the space to convert everything. kinda sad that ereader makers don't think that much about manga readers

thanks for everything

Last edited by vaanen; 03-06-2018 at 09:31 AM.
vaanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #443
Grinchy
Grinchy began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad 3
Is there any way to use this on an Inkpad 3?

Tried it, but (system/config/) extensions.cfg doesn't exist on the Inkpad 3. There are different .cfg Files, but no extensions.cfg
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #444
rkomar
Wizard

I suspect that you can create the file in the system/config directory, and it will be used. You only need to add entries for the archive files you want to read with pbimageviewer (see the first post for more info). Other file types will be handled by the system's default extensions.cfg file that is hidden in another partition.

If you are desperate, you can unpack the archive file into a directory with separate image files, and then run pbimageviewer from the Applications tab. When run that way, the program pops up a directory chooser, and you select the directory that contains the separate images. The PocketBook API doesn't offer a file chooser, so there is no way to select an archive file that way (they expect that you will use the Library tab for that).

Last edited by rkomar; 05-30-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #445
marcus35000
marcus35000 began at the beginning.

Device: inkpad3
Dear Rkomar,
thank you for your promising program
I did not succced to use it with my inkpad 3
This is what I followed
download this file : pbimageviewer.app-Pro-360+
rename it as pbimageviewer.app
put it in the application folder of my inkpad3
create a extensions.cfg file with the following parameters and put in the system/config folder of my inpad

zip:@ZIP_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cbz:@ZIP_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
rar:@RAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cbr:@RAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tar:@TAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tar.gz:@TAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tgz:@TAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tar.bz2:@TAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tbz2:@TAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
7z:@ZIP_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cb7:@ZIP_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cbt:@TAR_file:1bimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
jpg:@JPEG_image:2bimageviewer.app,picviewer.app: ICON_JPG
jpeg:@JPEG_image:2bimageviewer.app,picviewer.app :ICON_JPG
png:@PNG_image:2bimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:I CON_PNG
bmp:@BMP_image:2bimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:I CON_BMP
tif:@TIFF_image:2bimageviewer.app,picviewer.app: ICON_TIFF
tiff:@TIFF_image:2bimageviewer.app,picviewer.app :ICON_TIFF

then try to launch a cbr file (which works well on a kobo)

nothing happen when i launch the cbr file , or when i try to launch pbimageviewer app from the GUI

any idea ?
thanks you for your help

best regards

mqrc
marcus35000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #446
rkomar
Wizard

You should try the pbimageviewer.app-fwv5 version instead. The version you tried is for older devices with different firmware. You should also install the device configuration files in the device_cfg.zip package. Let us know if it works with your device.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #447
mobman
mobman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Hello,

Great software, I feel sorry for the people who are missing this ultimate manga reader.
Thanks to all the people who made this, especially rkomar.

I have two issue on the Inkpad 3 though:

- When I am in the Content menu I can't go forward with the forward button. Plus the arrow on the top are tiny and buggy. You can go backward with the back button but pressing forward close the Content menu.

- I tried everything I could think of but the double page reading mode don't work, when I choose the "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape" and go forward or backward with touchscreen or buttons, I move one page at time.
I also tried to play with the "Step size as percentage of the screen" which as far as I can see does nothing.

And I have a few suggestions, which seems easy to implement:

- I didn't find a way to save "Display settings", I think a menu in "Default settings for newly opened books" would be nice.

- I think "Automatically rotate landscape images" suits more on a book by book basis, because for example if you switch to a comic with double page you have to switch the option everytime. I also think it should be in "Default settings for newly opened books" as display settings.

- And to finish a killer feature would be to have custom "Default settings for newly opened books" depending on the file name. Because usually a serie have the same quality and format, so you could have "Every file which begin with 'Xxxxxx Xxx'" has these settings. One could even allow custom regexp, that would be great.

Anyway, thanks again for this great software.
mobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #448
rkomar
Wizard

Hi mobman, thanks for compliments. Here are my responses to your comments and suggestions:

The Content menu is purely controlled by the Inkview API, and I have no control over how it looks or behaves. I don't have any problems with the arrow buttons on my Inkpad 1. I suppose that could be because my display is flush, and it is easy to tap in the corners. Anyway, if it isn't working properly for you, then you can try using the "Goto Page" dialog instead. I don't know what else to suggest.

The "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape" zoom mode seems to work properly for me for double page documents as long as it stays in portrait mode. Are you trying to use it in landscape mode?

The Display Settings are saved for each book, but not globally for all books. I'm not keen on configuring a default Display Settings for newly opened books, because the actual settings are dependent on what the images inside look like. I also have the problem that I haven't been in contact with the translators in a long time, and I'm loathe to bring them back into it for new features unless absolutely necessary. Perhaps the simplest approach would be to apply the same display settings for a book that is automatically opened when the current one is finished. That may not be too hard to do, and wouldn't require any new translations. Maybe even some of the other settings could be automatically applied, as well.

As for automatically rotating images, it might be easiest to temporarily disable that feature when the zoom mode is "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape".

As for using something like a regexp on filenames for configuration settings, it sounds too complicated for me. It would probably also be difficult to translate the instructions properly to the other languages. Perhaps copying settings to automatically opened new books would make this feature unnecessary.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 AM   #449
mobman
mobman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
I Just tried the "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape" and it don't work (in portrait mode), it go forward one file by one. I guess it's an issue with the Inkpad 3.
Also the reading direction do work, it start on the right page or left depending on the setting. But only on newly opened book or if you delete the .af0 file corresponding to the book in /mnt/ext1/system/state.
I mean if you start a book and change the direction in settings it will only work for the next book you open.

For the display settings, indeed keeping the same display settings for the next file would be better than to have to switch it for each book of a serie.

Disabling the auto rotate feature with "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape" would be great.

I think one could default the language to english when you add a new menu if there is no translation. Even if having a perfect translation is better I'd prefer having a mysterious menu in a foreign language I can translate than less options.

I hope I will have the time to look in the code for the issue with double page reading on the Inkpad 3, as well as maybe custom settings depending on the file name. That would not be any time soon though, I don't even have time to read.
mobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 AM   #450
rkomar
Wizard

Maybe this is a problem in understanding. By double page layout, I mean single images that are scans of two facing pages. It does not mean showing two single page scans beside each other. Is the latter what you expected to see?