Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Whitman, Walt: Leaves of Grass. v 1.0F 22 August 2007

Finally... *whew*

There are some minor formatting errors yet, but I think it's finally release worthy. Eventually I hope to clean up the remaining format errors, hyperlink the entire TOC (currently it's non-clickable,) and move the TOC to the back of the book with a link on the front pages. Nearly 400 entries is long for a TOC, especially a non-clickable one.

But I'm really happy with the cover (1st edition image) and the Whitman daugerrotype image at the front.

Generated with HTML2LRF from the PG text, with reformatting of broken lines and hanging indents added. 995K uncompressed.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LOGf.zip (787.9 KB, 1988 views)
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds nice. I hope you will get it fully finished soon. Sounds like it could be some book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
Wow, I am excited. Poetry ebooks are hard!

You might find my post on the subject to be useful
http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=6755

Basically, the American Verse Project has high quality html versions of classic American poets
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text...author;value=w

(but not Whitman, curiously enough).

You might find this Whitman archive resource to be useful
http://www.whitmanarchive.org/manuscripts/index.html

and especially this essay
http://www.whitmanarchive.org/critic.../xml/anc.00150

I think PG uses the Deathbed edition, and some scholars say this is not the best or most interesting edition

This sort of TOC is a good reason why Sony reader needs table support (or some way to jump through a large number of hyperlinks).
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Robert - Thanks for the interesting links. I downloaded the the American Verse Project version of the Emily Dickinson poems series 1. I must admit looking at the html sourceit looks pretty horrible and would be a nightmare to turn into something reasonably semantic. though it was, surprisingly, still readable in mobipocket.

I tried manybooks.net and it produced a pretty good version of some Emily Dickinson poems with good clean code. I think manybooks is worth checking out as a source of html versions of PG texts. But the bad news is that it produced a really pretty horrible version of Leaves of Grass - with new paragraphs starting mid-line. I don't envy anyone trying to produce a decently formatted version.

Laughing Vulcan - did you do the formatting in html or after conversion? If you have a decent version in html could you upload that as well? Thanks
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
While I have the last version of the HTML that I ran through HTML2LRF, it went through many gyrations before that. It started as txt, washed through BD, then the HTML0 from BD was massaged several times (and hacked up to change the style settings and a few massive search-and-replaces on a faux-text version to dump the individual paragraph styles that Word [I think] decided to incorporate. Not to mention that I'm not sure at all how the final version, renamed several times, still managed to find the jpeg cover and Whitman portrait.)

Finally, I didn't go through the final pre-conversion file to see what (if any) personal information might be still in the file - like my name, etc.

So, long answer is that yes I still have an html file, but short answer is no I'm not terribly comfortable with the notion of just uploading it.

And, having called it up a couple of minutes ago, I see that most (probably all) of the formatting errors in the lrf file are directly translated from the html file. Good for html2lrf, bad for my trying to fix whatever's wrong in the next release of it.

Edit to add: And I see that rjnagle's links are very good - especially the link to the Whitman archive. Thank you!
The complete text is available, with image links, of apparently every version published there. So I'm really thinking of using that as my base for the next version. That would get me away from the travesty of the file I wound up creating for conversion...

Last edited by LaughingVulcan; 08-28-2007 at 07:58 PM.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Kind of an old thread, but the TOC on this book doesnt load on my PRS500 when its in the onboard memory. It also crashes the device when trying to load from the SD card.
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
jadedragon61
jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.jadedragon61 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle
Converted it to .mobi and it looks fine. Thank you.
jadedragon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
pengriffix
pengriffix began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 4 mini
Really impressive work. Shocked i didn't find this earlier.
pengriffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengriffix View Post
Really impressive work. Shocked i didn't find this earlier.
You might also enjoy this variorum edition:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=242230

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 01-08-2018 at 12:25 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
olami
olami began at the beginning.

Device: none
Am glad i don't miss this, thanks a lot.
olami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #11
olasoffy
olasoffy will become famous soon enougholasoffy will become famous soon enougholasoffy will become famous soon enougholasoffy will become famous soon enougholasoffy will become famous soon enougholasoffy will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Thanks for this

Despite the time you shre this, i still found it very useful
olasoffy is offline   Reply With Quote