Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #91
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximalmobi7 View Post
so I want to point out if you rename the file.kfx format extension to file.azw8 extension it seems to be able to load it the file kfx in Kindle Previewer 3 if it thinks its an azw8 file.
Amazon is fond of using multiple extensions for the same content. For example a KF8 file may have an extension of .azw3, .azw or .prc depending on the device or app being used.

Likewise, KFX files use .kfx in some places and .azw8, .azw9 or .yj in others. This plugin uses .kfx since that is the most common extension used. The first post in this thread already states that you can open KFX files in the Kindle Previewer by changing the extension to .azw8. It is the same file type.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #92
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast
maximalmobi7 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle paperwhite 2, and android tablet 10.1 with Kindle app
here an example of the changes zip plugin for me now targets azw3, input was kepub in calibre.

Convert book 1 of 1 (title here)) edited the ebook name out of this example
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 2.69.0
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|pr ologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': u'C:\\Users\\ROBERT~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calib re_gtraau\\jnngvp.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_all_fonts': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'epub_flatten': False,
'epub_inline_toc': False,
'epub_toc_at_end': False,
'expand_css': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'flow_size': 260,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x0000000005D33320>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_default_epub_cover': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_svg_cover': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KoboReaderOutput object at 0x0000000005D33A58>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\ROBERT~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calib re_gtraau\\jeszon.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': False,
'remove_first_image': True,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'start_reading_at': None,
'strip_kobo_spans': False,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'transform_css_rules': '[]',
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: KePub Input running
on C:\Users\ROBERT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_gtraa u\oefrjs.kepub
KEPUBInput::convert - start
Found HTML cover titlepage.xhtml
Parsing all content...
Parsing text/part0001.html ...
Parsing kte-css/stylehacks.css ...
Parsing text/part0000.html ...
Parsing titlepage.xhtml ...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Parsing kte-css/hyphenation.css ...
Parsing page_styles.css ...
Referenced file u'text/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' not found
Reading TOC from NCX...
KEPUBInput:ostprocess_book - start
KEPUBInput:ostprocess_book - not stripping kobo spans
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming u'plugininfo.kte' from manifest
Trimming u'titlepage.xhtml' from manifest
Creating azw8 Output...
Software versions: azw8 Output 1.3.0, calibre 2.69 [64bit], Windows-8-6.2.9200
azw8 Output plugin help is available at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272407

Rescaling image from 925x1388 to 457x686 cover.jpeg
Splitting markup on page breaks and flow limits, if any...
Looking for large trees in text/part0001.html...
Found large tree #0
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}div /*/*[2]/*
Split tree too small
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}p /*/*[2]/*/*/*[10]/*/*[11]
Committed sub-tree #1 (133 KB)
Committed sub-tree #2 (144 KB)
Split into 2 parts
Looking for large trees in text/part0000.html...
Found large tree #0
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}div /*/*[2]/*
Split tree too small
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}p /*/*[2]/*/*/*[11]/*/*[38]
Committed sub-tree #1 (144 KB)
Committed sub-tree #2 (137 KB)
Split into 2 parts
This EPUB file has no Table of Contents. Creating a default TOC
Successfully converted input format to EPUB
Converting "C:\Users\ROBERT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_gtra au\1o88lz.epub" to KDF/KPF
Preparing EPUB for conversion
Launching Kindle Previewer EpubToKFXConverter (version 3.5.0)
Successfully converted EPUB to KPF/KDF
Processing container: C:/Users/ROBERT~1/AppData/Local/Temp/calibre_gtraau/yqr0ie.kpf:resources/book.kdf
Successfully converted KPF/KDF to azw8
AZW8 output written to C:\Users\ROBERT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_gtraa u\wevkvs.azw8
maximalmobi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #93
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

Smile kfx that is out supported by Previewer 3 beta 3.5, clears since every file in that fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon is fond of using multiple extensions for the same content. For example a KF8 file may have an extension of .azw3, .azw or .prc depending on the device or app being used.

Likewise, KFX files use .kfx in some places and .azw8, .azw9 or .yj in others. This plugin uses .kfx since that is the most common extension used. The first post in this thread already states that you can open KFX files in the Kindle Previewer by changing the extension to .azw8. It is the same file type.
I was not using Kindle Previewer to open either kfx or azw8 as the stable kindle Previewer does not support that format at all at this time,

Spoiler:
this kfx8 output plugin or azw8 output plugin is only able to use Kindle Previewer 3 beta 3.5, the normal stable Kindle Previewer doesn't support kfx as far as I know. since Kindle Previewer reads This Book is not of supported file format under stable Kindle Previewer ,
I just wanted to make it clear that I was opening the kfx extension in kindle Previewer 3 beta 3.5 and it only opens it if the container extension is set to azw8, not as an container extension of kfx that is out supported by Previewer 3 beta 3.5, clearly since every file in that format ext. below reads this error for its ext. type. with format of kfx.
"Unsupported file extension: .kfx"
"Unsupported file extension: .yj"

"so yes the container you wrote about cannot be opened in Previewer 3 beta 3.5.0, it only seems to support kfx as the format, and either azw8 or azw9 as the container extension these ext can be read just fine in the beta software but not the two other ones, I just updated my text to include that the unknown extension you wrote to me, is not supported by the windows software by amazon."

I did try .yj and its not support under the software in windows, not sure about device, I have no idea what azw9 is used for or .vj extension I never heard of those extensions for kindle hardware device, yes azw9 acks just like azw8 in previewer 3 beta but I have no idea what even the difference between azw8 or azw9 , I didn't try azw9 on my kindle paperwhite 2 device, I know azw8 will open on it but yet to tried azw9 my guess is it can open all of them but I could be wrong, I think its only the windows software title previewer 3 that can only either azw8 or azw9 looks like the same type of containers since I don't think their an difference yet since they both seem to use the format as kfx

my point was when you try to open .kfx in Previewer 3 beta 3.5, it will not open it ever since I don't think amazon is going with that extension for the format, only in devices maybe like kindle paperwhite, but that could change with firmware updates, they could drop the support for .kfx containers its hard to tell what their going to do in the future, but for today and the current beta supports the format and the extension of azw8 again I didn't try to rename it to either .yj or also their very uncommon formats since never heard of them and have no idea what azw8 or azw9 or .yj is really used for, at one point I heard azw8 was going to be used as an pdf comics like container, but otherwise I never heard of these extension since their too new, they may or may not replace azw3 and mobi files, it depends if they get used after beta status or not, also If they are uncompressed no one going to want them on their current devices, because then the ebook would take up too much room on either their kindle hardware or their android tablets etc.. they need to be able to be compressed in kfx format with an good compression container extension, I think like mkv do for videos and their formats inside their containers etc.. for example.

but if you rename or have the alternated azw8 output plugin zip converted into azw8 it then opens the file in Kindle Previewer 3 beta 3.5 on windows 10.

you wrote that .kfx since that is the most common extension used , but I never heard of that format before this weekend, please note I been using azw3 and mobi formats mostly in calibre, .kfx is too new for it to even be most common extension used, and doesn't even seen to be support under that extension since I don't think amazon is going with that extension, I recall hearing somewhere I don't no if its Kindle Comic Creator, I think azw8 is an comic kindle extension but I am not really sure where I heard that, or it was going to be used in Kindle Kids' Book Creator or Kindle Textbook Creator at one point or another,

I am not really sure where I heard about the azw8 extension but it does seem to open the ebook created by kfx, I think amazon is going to use kfx as the format, and azw8 as the container extension in the future, when Kindle Previewer 3 is more stable and out of the beta status. again I am just guessing amazon will go with azw8 or azw9 even thou I never heard of it, I don't think they would be going with kfx container since current beta's will not open it as an format, and kindle for pc will not even read kfx formats as an download file type. again its just an guess I don't no for sure if I am right about that amazon is going to do in the future, only the future knows what their going to do with their software and their devices, how they may change the firmware to support files and drop other types is very unknown to me at this time.

so any idea if kindle for pc will ever support kfx in any extension since I can't get it to read any of the files of this type under its directory?

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-06-2016 at 07:46 PM. Reason: did some editing, supported ext is azw8,azw9, unsupport ext is .yj , kfx for kindle previewer 3 3.5.0
Old 10-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #94
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

some information to note, about using either azw8 or azw9 if you pick either of these extensions at all when opening files in Kindle Previewer 3 beta Version, 3.5.0 or kfx if your using in on your device only, and you don't need to use the kindle previewer 3 software in windows.

again Version 3.5.0 doesn't support kfx as an extension since it reads that message in all ebook that read that error message above that I wrote about it saying that kfx is Unsupported file extension, I don't no if that going to be fixed in the next version or if amazon is not using that extension if their not they could drop the extension support in the firmware too but I have no idea if they would do that or not. I don't recall if kindle for pc was able to load calibre ebooks before, but I can't get azw8 azw9 or kfx to even read under downloads in Kindle for Pc software, so I have no idea, if you could make an non azw3 or mobi formats read in kindle for pc if your using that at all, not sure about android kindle app since I didn't try to load either azw8 or azw9 formats or kfx in the android app, any idea if the android app supports either of the 3 extension types? well in any case when I copy some over I find out if it does or not. below is the Book information for one azw8 kfx formatted book.

Book Information
Title , Reads title
Author, Reads Author
ASIN , reads the number very long format
Enhanced Typesetting Supported
Contant Language en
Cover Specified
Table of Contents, Not Specified, not sure if its just the one ebook
NCX Specified
Start Reading Not Specified, not sure how to even add this or what it does under Kindle Previewer 3

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-01-2016 at 02:08 AM. Reason: addon info to my post
Old 10-01-2016, 04:07 AM   #95
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
The ExtractCoverThumbs program can create thumbnails for sideloaded books on a Kindle. I am hoping that it will be updated to support KFX. (I provided some files to the developer to help with that.)
I'm sorry for delay, but I was stopped by other duties. Never mind...

First of all I want to thank you jhowell for your amazing support in this matter

I have integrated your works in ExtractCoverThumbs: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...3a608e84e53303 so you can test it by downloading source zip file: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...ive/master.zip, unpacking it and running it from command line:

Code:
python ExtractCoverThumbs-master /path/to/your/Kindle
Binary release should be unleashed in the following week.

Last edited by quiris; 10-01-2016 at 01:42 PM.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #96
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
you wrote that .kfx since that is the most common extension used , but I never heard of that format before this weekend,...
The .kfx extension is not new. It has been in use for interactive magazines on Fire tables since 2014 and for Kindle books with enhanced typesetting for over a year. It is the extension used for this format on most Kindle apps and devices.

Kindle Previewer 3 is odd in that it supports KFX format but doesn't allow the .kfx extension. I don't know why.

Quote:
so any idea if kindle for pc will ever support kfx in any extension since I can't get it to read any of the files of this type under its directory?
Kindle for PC does not currently support KFX. I have no idea if it will in the future.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #97
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
I have integrated your works in ExtractCoverThumbs: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...3a608e84e53303 so you can test it by downloading source zip file: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...ive/master.zip and running it from command line:

Code:
python master.zip /path/to/your/Kindle
Thanks for doing that! I did a quick test and it worked for me.

(I did have to re-zip it to make it work since __main__.py is in a subdirectory, instead of the top directory, of the zip file that was downloaded when I clicked your link.)

I will update the KFX Output plugin documentation to refer to ExtractCoverThumbs for the creation of cover thumbnails.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #98
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
(I did have to re-zip it to make it work since __main__.py is in a subdirectory, instead of the top directory, of the zip file that was downloaded when I clicked your link.)
Yes, you are right. Another method - unpack downloaded ZIP and run:
Code:
Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #99
quiris
Groupie

One more question: MOBI PalmDB header contains info about text length:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI

4 4 text length Uncompressed length of the entire text of the book

Is it possible to get similar info from KFX file?

I ask for that since ExtractCoverThumbs uses this field for generation APNX file containing book page numbers
Old 10-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #100
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One more question: MOBI PalmDB header contains info about text length:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI

4 4 text length Uncompressed length of the entire text of the book

Is it possible to get similar info from KFX file?

I ask for that since ExtractCoverThumbs uses this field for generation APNX file containing book page numbers
This would not be useful for KFX. The KFX format has page numbers built in. It does not make use of APNX files.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #101
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm sorry for delay, but I was stopped by other duties. Never mind...

First of all I want to thank you jhowell for your amazing support in this matter

I have integrated your works in ExtractCoverThumbs: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...3a608e84e53303 so you can test it by downloading source zip file: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...ive/master.zip, unpacking it and running it from command line:

Code:
Binary release should be unleashed in the following week.
when you create an binary are you talking Windows standalone binary executables ?

Spoiler:
I found this source but its not updated to include the kfx support yet

https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractC...ses/tag/v0.9.3

when you release the binary can you , post the file or link to it here, and thanks if you can

also can you make it include both azw8 and kfx extension support for the book icons on the kindle paperwhite 2 support, which I am guessing the binary should work for.

so I want to point out since we have HughesNet limited bandwidth at times, also please note about my writing skills I am learning disabled student called special ed or DESP in college, so my writing skills are ok but not great, and I don't always edit stuff I write, or check for mistakes, I been in an English 1A college class before but ended up dropping it before that I took a few English 95 classes, in any case I do have a few writing skills problems at times, any case please let me know when you can compile an Windows standalone binary with kfx and azw8 support when possible, thanks , I try and use pyinstaller on my windows, I guessing its just an matter of changing lines of kfx to azw8 to make icons for those files, but I am not sure, since I have let to try to do so yet.

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-06-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Request for Windows standalone binary with kfx and azw8 support
Old 10-02-2016, 11:47 PM   #102
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

ok I following the process of making the app with default kfx,
Spoiler:
installed python 2.7
installed pywin32-220.win32-py2.7.exe
installed PyInstaller-3.2 by using pip install pyinstaller on cmd prompt
python -m pip install -- upgrade pip

build on Windows (with Python 2.7.x):
C:\Python27\Scripts\pyinstaller.exe -Fn ExtractCoverThumbs_con .\ExtractCoverThumbs\__main__.py
C:\Python27\Scripts\pyinstaller.exe -Fn ExtractCoverThumbs_win --windowed .\ExtractCoverThumbs\gui.pyw

used those command it compiles it in C:\Python27\Scripts\dist

I wanted to report on windows 10 I am getting an error about missing msvcr100.dll, I guess I have to search for the app that installs this dll file, since it reads ExtractCoverThumb_win.exe - System Error with that file missing and saying try reinstalling the program to fix this problem, so I have to figure out which app would normally install msvcr100.dll on windows 10, that's the only error I got when trying to make that app with kfx support

I found two links that may fix the missing dll for this app
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package is what you need to install on windows 10 I guess. but I got pass the x86 error for the dll, but it will not launch from ExtractCoverThumb_win.exe
I installed the x86 and x64 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package, it seemed to need the x86 version which had msvcr100.dll in it but now it doesn't seem to be able to run ExtractCoverThumb_win.exe so something else may of gone wrong compiling it on my windows 10 system. I trying the build on Windows (with Python 2.7.x):
commands again after installing that dll to see if I can make it work at all for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=14632
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=5555

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-06-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added dll link needed forExtractCoverThumb_win.exe app to work
Old 10-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #103
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

Quote:
@maximalmobi7,

Lengthy posts regarding the compilation of ExtractCoverThumbs are off-topic for this thread.

Please be considerate and move that discussion to a more appropriate thread, such as this one.

topic above about kfx support in that app moved below, also note, I can't edit the post above for whatever reason, in any case it was not exactly off-topic since I was talking about kfx support in the app, just not calibre or kfx output plugin, but that app could be good for if you say want icons on your device without having to download every icon for every ebook you may have, if you say to the kfx output plugin at all. that makes sense right about the software with azw8 support instead of kfx support for icons? so I was thinking of trying to make the default with kfx support first, then try to correct it to work with azw8 files so they have their icons instead. also included in my last post on this topic since , I am going to at this point to wait for an windows app, since I am tried of wasting my time trying to compile software that is clearly broken in some way or another.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=212242&page=8

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-03-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: moved my posts for ExtractCoverThumbs
Old 10-03-2016, 12:37 AM   #104
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

moved this post, to correct link above

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-03-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: moved the topic, to correct area
Old 10-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #105
maximalmobi7
Enthusiast

topic is moved to link above about that software app, also had to do with kfx information tried to compile that in it from this area, information, but in any case I couldn't get the gui to compile right

Last edited by maximalmobi7; 10-03-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: updated information and link etc

Tags
kfx, linux, wine