Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
Andy North
Andy North began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
It makes sense Peaceridge! Thank you!

In the meanwhile, I have been experimenting with Hyphen and I have to say that I am impressed. It might not have all the features Marvin has (not really sure) but it is very simple to use and works beautifully. Also, it does sync highlights and annotations! I am surprised not to see it featured more prominently in these fora!

So, for the time being I think I am all set up! I could probably do well without CC but, as I have already bought it, I will still use it to easily transfer my books from my Mac to my iPhone/iPad!

Thank you all who spent some time to help me!

A
Andy North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Andy, my use for CC on my Android tablets and phone is to have a place to store my books and then pick which reader I want to use - for example, I use one reader for epubs, a different one for pdfs and a third one for comics. Of course you could just load the different types into the different readers the first time, but then you would not have a central database for all your books.
The problem with iOS is each application is sandboxed.

If one used CC for managing books, one would still have a copy of the book in CC and export/copy the book via share sheet to the reader of choice. For obvious reasons, native HTML, OPDS or Dropbox support in-app is quicker than exporting books one by one from CC.

Hence, I use CC on Android (where I can just point the reader to a shared folder containing my books) but not on iOS.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The problem with iOS is each application is sandboxed.

If one used CC for managing books, one would still have a copy of the book in CC and export/copy the book via share sheet to the reader of choice. For obvious reasons, native HTML, OPDS or Dropbox support in-app is quicker than exporting books one by one from CC.

Hence, I use CC on Android (where I can just point the reader to a shared folder containing my books) but not on iOS.
That also means that you don't use CC as your library manager, which in fact is what we designed it to be. No reader app (that I know of) can operate on calibre metadata as well as CC does, for example grouping and sorting on calibre custom columns and syncing "book read" information back to calibre.

If you use CC mostly as a transport then I suspect there are better solutions even on Android, for example dropbox with dropsync.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That also means that you don't use CC as your library manager, which in fact is what we designed it to be. No reader app (that I know of) can operate on calibre metadata as well as CC does, for example grouping and sorting on calibre custom columns and syncing "book read" information back to calibre.

If you use CC mostly as a transport then I suspect there are better solutions even on Android, for example dropbox with dropsync.
The "book read" information, I don't much care about.

I actually do use FolderSync to sync full copies of my Calibre libraries on Android. However, I also use CC (Cloud Connection - Cloud provider - Library on device or SD card) when I want to browse the library based on custom columns.

The beauty of Android's user accessible file system is that it doesn't need to copy books from CC to the reading app. Also, being able to set the default app makes opening books from CC easier. The firmware design of Android makes having a central ebook manager such as CC much more useful.

On the iPad, I use Dropbox for storage (all the "indie" epub reader apps I've used have built-in Dropbox support) but I do use your Calibre PHP server for browsing metadata. Honestly, I find Calibre PHP server far superior to CC for my usage. I'm surprised it still works so well considering it hasn't been updated since 2012.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote