Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
michael.medin
michael.medin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy Tried everything (?) Reader stuck at "Starting up"

First off I don't know what happened to my reader, I was running a custom firmware but have been for some time without any problems.
No reflash or anything like that just "dead out of the blue".

Now when I boot it gets stuck in "starting up".

The only way I have managed to "talk" to my reader is by;
-1 hard reset (hole on the back)
-2 when the screen goes blank: connect USB

Then I have tried two things:
1, use the flash software from sony: which flashes from version "0.0.00.00000" to "1.1.00.18040" (or "1.1.00.18041"). I can do this repeatedly with the same result. So apparently the image is never flashed properly.

2, reformat the internal memory but Windows tells me "it cant format the memory card". The "strange" thing here is that the internal memory card (?) is 44k in size and only contains a single file called "Protected !!"

It seem no matter what I do the Sony Reader is "broken" so is this a HW fault ?

And anyone know what kind of warranty Sony has?
I bought this (since they are not sold here in Sweden) off of e-bay about a year ago.

// Michael Medin
michael.medin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm sorry your first post is about a problem, but welcome to MR, Michael.

I found this thread with some information..check post 5 by igorsk, maybe it will help.

Let us know how it goes.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
michael.medin

No, it did not seem to pick my reader up.

I forgot to mention it is a Sony PRS 505 BTW (that tool seemed to be for a PRS-300)

// Michael Medin
Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It is actually for the 505, but he was trying to jump start a fix for the 300.. (from igork's post 5).

This tool should let you get the reader out of the firmware update mode. Just connect the reader to PC and run it. Note that this will put a PRS-505 firmware on it which is not really compatible with 300, so you will need to reflash it with a PRS-300 modified firmware again.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
michael.medin

Strange.

It tool did not detect my reader (after I had waited for the program to do detect it for 5-10 minutes I started normal flash app which picked up the reader instantly)

// Michael Medin
Advert