Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
evandy
Enthusiast
evandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
DX - Impressions from a first-time Kindleer

The DX is my first kindle, so I thought that I would share my first impressions with those wondering what it's like from that perspective.

SIZE: Too big to hold comfortably in one hand. This is more an issue of /size/ than weight (the center of gravity is so far from where you hold, that you have to cantilever it quite strongly). However, if I rest it on my forearm, with my hand wrapped around the opposite edge, it's actually quite comfortable (and, hey, my left hand reaches the next-page button *perfectly* that way). Also comfortable: Reading in bed (use hand to prop it up, but let the weight rest on your torso). Sitting and reading: hold in 2 hands, resting on leg, couch arm, etc. As long as you don't try to support it with just one hand, you should be fine (note forearm solution above works just fine).

The screen is about the same size as a hardback-book page, which I don't find too big at all. But, then, I enjoy Robert Jordan and other prolific authors.

SCREEN: really, really clear. Need to sun-test it, when I have some sun (cloudy yesterday). Graphics are great, as is the text. I can read the smallest size, but am happier with a slightly bigger font, so it's on size #2 right now.

Keyboard: I /like/ that it's small. Hitting numbers is awkward, but the #1 purpose of this gizmo is reading. I write computer SW, and expect to use this as a mobile net-tablet from time to time, but I'll sacrifice a bigger keyboard for a slightly smaller device happily.

One-side buttons: I did a little auto-rotation to test, and the higher position you hold you hand when the buttons are on the left is almost more comfortable than the right-hand position for me. I don't think that it will take long to get used to just the one-side buttons for old K2ers who have an open mind.

Kindle Experience: Matches what everyone's said about the K2/K1... so nothing to add here.

Anything else anyone wants to hear about?
evandy is offline   Reply With Quote