Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Kindle.amazon.com is going away

I read this on another forum. It's s copy/paste from the OP who posted it:

"I received an email from Amazon that states:

First, we’ve created a new home for all your Kindle notes and highlights that’s easy to access and review from your phone, tablet, or PC. All the notes and highlights you’ve made over the years with Kindle are safe and sound at https://read.amazon.com/notebook.

and then

In addition, if you like to share what you’re reading with others, we’re merging some of kindle.amazon.com’s features into Goodreads. Goodreads—an Amazon subsidiary—is the world’s largest community of readers, with more than 60 million members. You can enjoy great features, like keeping track of what you read...

and to top it off:

Please note that your Kindle profile, book lists, and notes and highlights will no longer be accessible via https://kindle.amazon.com after August 31, 2017."
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does it make any practical difference, other than a name change?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does it make any practical difference, other than a name change?
I can't answer that, as I don't highlight or make notes that often. But the folks on the Amazon Kindle forum who are talking about it aren't crazy about a more robust connection to Goodreads. Looks like they are concerned about privacy issues.

I can't post in that forum anymore...I was put in the corner permanently by the Mods. I can still post on the official Help forums though...
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There is loss of some functionality with demise of kindle.amazon.com, e.g.:

- cannot 'follow' comments of another Kindle user who read the same book (by which it is possible to see their notes and highlights with their user name shown 'in line')
- cannot review status of Content Errors that you have reported

For the first of these you need to follow them on goodreads and go to Goodreads to see their comments. Perhaps Amazon will eventually work out how to pull these from Goodreads and overlay them while you are reading the book (but I won't hold my breath).

But it does not seem they have a plan for how one can review content errors.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But it does not seem they have a plan for how one can review content errors.
That's academic, since the content errors you report go into a black hole anyway.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
That's academic, since the content errors you report go into a black hole anyway.
That is not true. Some publishers update the books, and if more people were aware of the feature and generated more reports, perhaps more publishers would do so. In any case it makes me feel better to report them.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-10-2017 at 04:19 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That is not true. Some publishers update the books, and if more people were aware of the feature and generated more reports, perhaps more publishers would do so. In any case it makes me feel better to report them.
I reported problems with a hundred or so books from most of the big publishing houses before I finally gave up because not one was acked or fixed. I finally abandoned hope when an indie author of my acquaintance told me to just email her my proofreading fixes because Amazon won't even show her typo corrections people enter against her books. Makes you wonder what on earth the feature is for...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I reported problems with a hundred or so books from most of the big publishing houses before I finally gave up because not one was acked or fixed. I finally abandoned hope when an indie author of my acquaintance told me to just email her my proofreading fixes because Amazon won't even show her typo corrections people enter against her books. Makes you wonder what on earth the feature is for...
Why cant your friend read her e-book to correct mistakes Before she publish?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
And then what would people like HarryT do?
He has been proofreading that same book in his signature for over a year.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Typically authors can't see their own mistakes. Though why didn't her proofreader catch it. Or did the cheap proofreader introduce the errors.
I use the term proofreader lightly.
Thing is if Amazon is contacting the author, it means there are multiple reports and many errors.

Answering other poster now.
Amazon doesn't go through the book to find the errors and I don't think the report button includes a space for the actual errors.
I think that Amazon assumes that authors can um what's the word I'm looking for, oh yeah write. Alas I think some perform a rite and think their words are right.

Barbara,
I totally agree that authors should actually make sure their book is readable before clicking that upload button.
If they all did that, there would be about 2 million less books on Amazon.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good then at least the rest would be Readable!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
For a lot of the errors I've seen lately, a remedial English class would be needed. In one recent book, I finally gave up and edited the bloody book. Such items as using: rein for reign, sight for site, bow for bough, their for they're, etc. I suspect the spellchecker showed no spelling errors but sadly the final result was a "triumph" for the North American educational system. Sadly when I emailed the author about the errors, her sole response was an offer to join her mailing list and get a free book.

Candidate for a Pullet Surprise
by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-13-2017 at 01:23 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And then what would people like HarryT do?
He has been proofreading that same book in his signature for over a year.
My boss a retired school teacher Proof Read a book for a friend took them 2 years to get it done. They worked on it a couple hours a week was a 1000 pages by the time it was published in HD.....
Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For a lot of the errors I've seen lately, a remedial English class would be needed. In one recent book, I finally gave up and edited the bloody book. Such items as using: rein for reign, sight for site, bow for bough, their for they're, etc. I suspect the spellchecker showed no spelling errors but sadly the final result was a "triumph" for the North American educational system. Sadly when I emailed the author about the errors, her sole response was an offer to join her mailing list and get a free book.

Candidate for a Pullet Surprise
by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

THIS IS Mine! No Spell Check involved!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My boss a retired school teacher Proof Read a book for a friend took them 2 years to get it done. They worked on it a couple hours a week was a 1000 pages by the time it was published in HD.....
Going by memory, Harry T. posted that he had finished proofreading the book years ago. Quick Google search and: "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" by Amelia B. Edwards from May, 2012.

So the real question should be why he has never changed that signature. Hmmm.... Harry T.'s real name is Eliza?

For those fans of Sherlock Holmes, my mind is pretty much that attic stuffed with useless information he denounced in A Study In Scarlet. Who the expletive deleted would want to remember some of this stuff?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote