Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Should I buy an Inkbook Prime to replace my ImcoV6L?
Yes, the Inkbook Prime is at least as good as the Imco. 2 25.00%
No, there are better devices. 1 12.50%
No, I don't like the Inkbook Prime because... 0 0%
I'm just here to vote. :-) 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Inkbook Prime as replacement for ImcoV6L ?

Does someone have experience with them?
My ImcoV6L is failing me, I didn't get along with the Icarus I bought to replace it, so I'm thinking about buying the Inkbook Prime.

My main requirements are physical buttons and the ability to rotate the screen so that the spine of the cover is "up".
Android is a very-nice-to-have, I haven't really used it much yet, but I like having the option.

Apparently the Inkbook Prime doesn't have a cover yet, but should get one in a few weeks (?).
And of course it doesn't have Google Play, which means sideloading. Not ideal, but acceptable.

AFAIK the screen resolution is the same, so that wouldn't be a problem for me - better may be better, but as-is is good enough.

Thoughts?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Does someone have experience with them?
My ImcoV6L is failing me, I didn't get along with the Icarus I bought to replace it, so I'm thinking about buying the Inkbook Prime.

My main requirements are physical buttons and the ability to rotate the screen so that the spine of the cover is "up".
Android is a very-nice-to-have, I haven't really used it much yet, but I like having the option.

Apparently the Inkbook Prime doesn't have a cover yet, but should get one in a few weeks (?).
And of course it doesn't have Google Play, which means sideloading. Not ideal, but acceptable.

AFAIK the screen resolution is the same, so that wouldn't be a problem for me - better may be better, but as-is is good enough.

Thoughts?
Cyberman tM, inkBOOK Prime meets the requirements you write about(side buttons, screen rotation, Android system). As for the case - we are working on it, and as soon as it appears, we will let you know! If you have additional questions, we stay in touch.
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Mariondel
Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony pros-650, Inkbook prime
I ordered one. It should arrive on Friday, so if you're patient I can tell you something after the weekend. I am not experienced, I have an Android phone Samsung J5 recently. So I am very curious how easy/difficult it will be working with Android on a reader.
Mariondel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
This maybe a good solution to my failing k4, whose buttons are wearing out. I'll see what you think of it.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtaTechPoland View Post
Cyberman tM, inkBOOK Prime meets the requirements you write about(side buttons, screen rotation, Android system). As for the case - we are working on it, and as soon as it appears, we will let you know! If you have additional questions, we stay in touch.
Cool :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariondel View Post
I ordered one. It should arrive on Friday, so if you're patient I can tell you something after the weekend.
Nice!
Since my Imco is currently working well (it sensed I was about to replace it) I can wait for some time.
I look forward to your experience.

(Maybe the Imco was merely running out of internal storage? Only about 200MB were left. I deleted everything and re-installed the system via applying the lastest patch again.
In any case, it's getting old and I need to look for a replacement. It's just not as urgent as it was before.)
Advert
Old 04-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Mariondel
Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mariondel , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Here I am playing with my new inkBook since about six o'clock.
In the box is the reader and an usb cable and 4 pages starting guide which I did not look at because I started to read the Quick Stard Guide which seemed to hold more information. But it is in several languages so it was not much more beside it had text in it.
So I probably made some mistakes. Now I got everything started I understand that I should have connected the reader to a powersource, in my case an USB of my laptop and leave it alone for an hour and a half. Then (this may be important but I am not sure) first safely remove the reader (I use Windows 10) then press on the text "Turn off USB storage". When the reader was disconnected I activated the wifi connection. The duration of this connection is a setting which is standardly only 5 min but can be prolonged to 10, 15, etc until allways. this probably makes your reading time shorter.
as soon as the wifi is connected an upgrade is offered, which was fairly quickly done.
Than I tried to install the KOBO program which did not go very well. This was surely because of the wifi connection that was lost after the upgrade and my exploring things.
After restoring the wifi connection the installation of Kobo went well. The logging in Kobo with my existing account was unclear but that has nothing to do with the inkBook.
I can read the Kobo books now. After that I added books with Calibre, via a micro SD card and via the USB cable. Everything worked.
The only thing I could not try is reading an Adobe protected book because I have only one and I tried to remove the DRM and now I suspect it is either damaged or I did something wrong. In fact it is not clear to me how to handle this. No problem I have only books with watermark DRM.
So as far as now I am content.
The thing that needs improvement is the USB connection on the side of the PC, if this is touched the connection is disconnected for a moment and that makes the file manager of windows make a sound like a new drive is connected, in fact this is so. I hope that this can be resolved.
If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them and if anything comes up in the next days I will report.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #7
Mariondel

Here I am after a long weekend trying out my ink book. I am afraid the USB cable problem might have damaged things. I can still read my Kobo books but I can not add books via my laptop and via the sd card. So now I an searching for support, which is hard to find.
I might do things wrong because I am not experienced in Android.
I like the reader but I may have to send it back.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
Mariondel

After placing last message I desperately connected my inkBOOOK with my laptop by means of the cable of my Samsung phone and suddenly there was again the screen with the warning to eject the eBooks before pressing to stop the USB connection. I did and than I had all the books I uploaded through Calibre. It seems that the whole problem was the cable. It seems to be fine now.
I only have to learn now how to find and install some good dictionaries for Android.
Well miracles seem to happen although I do not believe. We'll see.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

You've had the Inkbook some time now - any further insights?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #10
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariondel View Post
Here I am playing with my new inkBook since about six o'clock.
In the box is the reader and an usb cable and 4 pages starting guide which I did not look at because I started to read the Quick Stard Guide which seemed to hold more information. But it is in several languages so it was not much more beside it had text in it.
So I probably made some mistakes. Now I got everything started I understand that I should have connected the reader to a powersource, in my case an USB of my laptop and leave it alone for an hour and a half. Then (this may be important but I am not sure) first safely remove the reader (I use Windows 10) then press on the text "Turn off USB storage". When the reader was disconnected I activated the wifi connection. The duration of this connection is a setting which is standardly only 5 min but can be prolonged to 10, 15, etc until allways. this probably makes your reading time shorter.
as soon as the wifi is connected an upgrade is offered, which was fairly quickly done.
Than I tried to install the KOBO program which did not go very well. This was surely because of the wifi connection that was lost after the upgrade and my exploring things.
After restoring the wifi connection the installation of Kobo went well. The logging in Kobo with my existing account was unclear but that has nothing to do with the inkBook.
I can read the Kobo books now. After that I added books with Calibre, via a micro SD card and via the USB cable. Everything worked.
The only thing I could not try is reading an Adobe protected book because I have only one and I tried to remove the DRM and now I suspect it is either damaged or I did something wrong. In fact it is not clear to me how to handle this. No problem I have only books with watermark DRM.
So as far as now I am content.
The thing that needs improvement is the USB connection on the side of the PC, if this is touched the connection is disconnected for a moment and that makes the file manager of windows make a sound like a new drive is connected, in fact this is so. I hope that this can be resolved.
If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them and if anything comes up in the next days I will report.
Mariondel, let us know in case of any further questions / problems. We hope you will use our reader without interruption!
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
Mariondel

In the mean time I installed the Adobe digital editions. The inkbook was recognised and I installed a protected eBooks. Everything all right.
I was a bit disappointed by the duration of the battery, I completely charged it when I send my last message, so th first of may. Three weeks with no light, wifi or Bluetooth is not much compared to my old Sony. On the other hand it charges very quickly.
Does anybody have another idea to try out?