Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #301
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Anarel good old MS don't have VB .NET for the MAC
There is Mono of course.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #302
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
I wasn't aware of Mono, thanks for that BOb.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #303
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
getting frustrated: can you help me?

I've been using mobi2mobi GUI (VB v06). I have spent the last week getting all the metadata in about 300 books to have the content I want. (descriptions and author names as Lastname, Firstname and applying the Genres I wanted to my books).

After fixing things so everything looked ok in mobi2mobi I deleted the associated .mpb files to make sure that nothing I'd entered would be overwritten by mpb metadata.

Then when I opened the files with mobipocket desktop approximately 10% display with incorrect data. For example, a Genre might be displayed in mobipocket desktop as "novels" but when I open the file in mobi2mobi it clearly says "General Fiction" in the Genre field.

What can I do now?!? I've tried setting them in the "exth type" fields as well as the fields higher up on the page. It's not clear to me how they differ: I've looked but can't find any documentation to help me understand the fields and the tool wrt those fields.

Please help. I feel like I"m banging my head against the wall.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #304
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
What field is the "Genre" field? I looked at the code for mobiperl to remind me of how it worked. It seems that genre is only extracted from a mbp file for information. I cannot find any field in the MobiPocket format corresponding to genre.

I have never used the GUI so I do not know if it uses Genre and what it mean there.

Last edited by tompe; 12-16-2009 at 07:17 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #305
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

I'm interested to know what field is being modified as well. The GUI does not have a Genre field. It surfaces Book Type as an option with the valid codes associated with this field. Can you advise what 'exth type' you are using and its number, this should be displayed in the GUI.
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #306
Jad
Groupie

Did a quick test and it appears that the Mobipocket Reader software is extracting the Subject field and using that as the 'Genre'. Did a few mods to some files and it doesn't appear to be storing that in the MBP file. It might help if you could open one of the problem eBooks in the GUI and copy the contents of the output window and paste it here in the forum. Just click in the output window and do Ctrl-A to select all and then Ctrl-C to copy, then paste here.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #307
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Yes you are right. I should have been more specific. I did mean the subject field in mobi2mobi which mobipocket reader takes as genre.

Here's the screen contents you were mentioning. In this case the Genre is appearing in mobipocket desktop as Novels despite my making the subject in mobi2mobi GUI General Fiction. Also I have changed the Publisher in mobi2mobi to be blank and in mobipocket it reports Harper Collins.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Database Name: The_Alchemist
Version: 0
Type: BOOK
Creator: MOBI
Seed: 91
Resdb:
AppInfoDirty:
ctime: 0 - Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
mtime: -912697268 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
baktime: -2082844800 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
---------------------------------------------------
FIRST IMG Record Id: 83
---------------------------------------------------
Image record index: 83 (141 x 188)
START IMAGE INDEX: 83
COVER IMAGE INDEX: 83
PDHEADER Version: 17480
PDHEADER Length: 307524
PDHEADER NRecords: 76
PDHEADER Recsize: 4096
PDHEADER Unknown: 0
MOBIHEADER ciflg: 65535
MOBIHEADER ciptr: 65535
MOBIHEADER doctype: MOBI
MOBIHEADER length: 228
MOBIHEADER booktype: 2 - BOOK
MOBIHEADER codep: 1252
MOBIHEADER uniqid: 1920276887
MOBIHEADER ver: 6
MOBIHEADER exthflg: 80
MOBIHEADER language: 9 - 9 - 0 - ENGLISH -
COVEROFFSET: 2
THUMBOFFSET: 3
EXTH doctype: EXTH
EXTH length: 1376
EXTH n_items: 7
EXTH item: 201 - CoverOffset - 4 - 0x0002
EXTH item: 202 - ThumbOffset - 4 - 0x0003
EXTH item: 2 - drm_commerce_id - 16 - fictionwise_9821
EXTH item: 3 - drm_ebookbase_book_id - 5 - 26228
EXTH item: 100 - Author - 13 - Coelho, Paulo
EXTH item: 103 - Description - 1249 - 'My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer,' the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky. 'Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.' Every few decades a book is published that changes the lives of its readers forever. The Alchemist is such a book. With over a million and a half copies sold around the world, The Alchemist has already established itself as a modern classic, universally admired. Paulo Coelho's charming fable, now available in English for the first time, will enchant and inspire an even wider audience of readers for generations to come. The Alchemist is the magical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure as extravagant as any ever found. From his home in Spain he journeys to the markets of Tangiers and across the Egyptian desert to a fateful encounter with the alchemist. The story of the treasures Santiago finds along the way teaches us, as only a few stories have done, about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, above all, following our dreams.
EXTH item: 105 - Subject - 15 - General Fiction
LONGTITLE: The Alchemist
LASTID: 88
-----------------
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #308
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
Yes you are right. I should have been more specific. I did mean the subject field in mobi2mobi which mobipocket reader takes as genre.

Here's the screen contents you were mentioning. In this case the Genre is appearing in mobipocket desktop as Novels despite my making the subject in mobi2mobi GUI General Fiction. Also I have changed the Publisher in mobi2mobi to be blank and in mobipocket it reports Harper Collins.
Are you sure that you are using the right file and have erased all cached information? If the string "Harper Collins" is not in the MobiPocket header it should be impossible for MobIPocket Reader to display it I would have thought. Unless it is coded into drm_ebookbase_book_id.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #309
rheostaticsfan
Zealot

I do know that I'm working on the right file...but how do I erase cached information?

I thought that was what I was doing by deleting the .mpb sidecar file before working on the .mobi file.

If it's as simple as eliminating cached information that would make my day.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #310
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Jad - would it be possible to post the source code for VB version 7?
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #311
Jad
Groupie

Hi Olaf,

The source code for v7 is the same as v6. The Tab order for the fields in the Form is all thats been changed and is a very quick mod for those with v6 if they want to change it.

I'll look at getting it up though just for completeness.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #312
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
ok great - thank you for a great program!
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #313
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I just installed, I like it. Works smoother.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #314
zadriel
zadriel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
LOVE THIS PROG. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Now the question. I've been able to delete 404 tag. NICE! I wonder will Amazon still see this file as the original download file and annotations then appear on their site too if I don't change the file name?

Then, also has anyone played with the clipping limit tag 401?

I haven't needed to clip more than the publisher has limited thus far. But I'm always worried I might have to. Can any of you tell me is there a way to use the 401 to set it as unlimited?

Thanks all! And if you can PM the answer, even better!
zadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #315
chihiro_tange
chihiro_tange began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8700c, Kindle Basic 2014
Hi. I'm new here. I have a question: When i used mobi2mobiGUI to add covers for my ebook. The thumbnail showed that the images were added. But when I use mobipocket reader to open those files, there is no covers though the sizes were increase. I don't know why...
Ps: Sorry about my poor english...
chihiro_tange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi