Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
baldman
baldman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Top 100 Sci-Fi and Fantasy books

I stumbled upon an article on slashdot today, which I believe is worth mentioning here. A list of 100 best books voted by 60 000 people was published on npr.org here: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085...-fantasy-books

I think it's contains very good suggestions for people like me who love the genre(s). And in case you couldn't make up your mind what to read next, a great flowchart (useful AND funny) for that list is available here: http://www.box.net/shared/static/a6o...ivlxsn3o8m.jpg

What do you think? I'm already assembling my must-read list
baldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I can't believe The Name of the Wind is in 18th place. That book annoyed me by making out it was a single title. Nothing anywhere on the cover to suggest that it was the first in a trilogy - no, you only got that information when you reached the final page, and realised, as had been becoming clearer and clearer, that this novel wasn't going to reach a conclusion.

I'm not a fantasy fan.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
I can't believe The Name of the Wind is in 18th place. That book annoyed me by making out it was a single title. Nothing anywhere on the cover to suggest that it was the first in a trilogy - no, you only got that information when you reached the final page, and realised, as had been becoming clearer and clearer, that this novel wasn't going to reach a conclusion.
I knew it was part of a planned trilogy going in, and I still felt the same way you did.

I don't expect individual books in a series to stand completely on they're own two feet (even though some do), but would some semblance of a natural story arc be that much to ask?

As far as the list NPR list goes... I've seen worse and I've seen better. I was a bit surprised to see several authors have multiple entries, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-24-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think I posted this link earlier in a different thread.

There are also these:

http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html

http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_short_stories.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...ice?intcmp=239

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Masterworks

http://mdbenoit.com/blog/blog/2006/1...cant-sf-books/

http://thisrecording.com/today/2010/...tion-or-f.html

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Oooh! Thanks for the Top 100 Short Story list, Kenny.

I've recently prescribed a "short-stories in the morning, novels in evening" regimen for myself, so those will come in handy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oooh! Thanks for the Top 100 Short Story list, Kenny.

I've recently prescribed a "short-stories in the morning, novels in evening" regimen for myself, so those will come in handy.

I've got a bunch of non-SF short story lists as well if you are interested.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
baldman

Okay, why not assemble all those lists in one place? It's always good to have a little inspiration as to what to read next.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
baldman

Oh, nevermind, now I looked through scifilists.sffjazz.com and that's probably something that will be enough for a long time :-) anyway, thanks for the suggestions, Kenny
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldman View Post
Oh, nevermind, now I looked through scifilists.sffjazz.com and that's probably something that will be enough for a long time :-) anyway, thanks for the suggestions, Kenny
yep...I know the feeling!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
kennyc

Here's one: Richard Matheson's first published story (very short):

Born of Man and Woman

http://homepage.mac.com/georgepratt/...n_Matheson.pdf

Richard Matheson: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Matheson

Last edited by kennyc; 10-24-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Tags
fantasy, scifi, suggestions