Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
soleilos
soleilos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Calibre Library on DVD

Hi,

I am using Calibre Portable. Meanwhile, I have four DVDs of my ebooks.

How can I put the Calibre Library folder on DVD and ask my calibre program to use the Calibre Library folder on DVD?

It seems the Calibre program tries to update the metadata.db on the DVD that is set to read-only and shows an error.

Is there any modifications that I should apply on Calibre Portable files to achieve such flexibility?

Your solutions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
soleilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleilos View Post
Hi,

I am using Calibre Portable. Meanwhile, I have four DVDs of my ebooks.

How can I put the Calibre Library folder on DVD and ask my calibre program to use the Calibre Library folder on DVD?

It seems the Calibre program tries to update the metadata.db on the DVD that is set to read-only and shows an error.

Is there any modifications that I should apply on Calibre Portable files to achieve such flexibility?

Your solutions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Calibre needs a READ-WRITE file system. DVD does not allow random writes in any case.
DVD is a good Backup (snap shot) media for your Library.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
soleilos
soleilos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks theducks,

This forum is like chat. Fortunately, I found a solution which works perfectly. Here are the steps you need to take:

1) Create a folder called CalibreMetadata in Calibre folder.
2) Copy the Metadata.db file to this folder.
3) Make sure you have CalibreLibrary folder on the DVD which holds the books plus the metadata.db file.
4) Copy Calibre-Portable.bat from resource folder to Calibre folder.
5) Make sure of the following setting in Calibre-Portable.bat

IF EXIST %cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db (
IF NOT "%CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY%" == "%cd%\CalibreMetadata" (
SET CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH=%cd%\CalibreMetadat a\metadata.db
ECHO DATABASE: %cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db
ECHO '
ECHO ***CAUTION*** Library Switching will be disabled
ECHO '
)
)

Please notice that CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH is set the to CalibreMetadata.

6) Run the Calibre program by running Calibre-Portable.bat.
7) When Calibre loads it will ask for the Library path then choose the library path from your DVD.

But the Calibre Library switching will be disabled.

It worked for me as well.

Take care.
soleilos is offline   Reply With Quote