Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
tootie
tootie began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Angry My New Nook is DEAD

Bought new Nook 4 weeks ago, have been playing around and setting it up as a gift for my Mom. It had version 1.4.3. "Upgraded" to software version 1.5 @ B&N's prompt. Maybe that was my mistake.

I just tried to purchase some books over 3G, and the screen went WHITE, and no response PERIOD.

Even if I hold the power button for 30+ seconds, no change, it's dead Jim.

Can anyone recommend any course of action? I already contacted B&N support. So far, nothing.

Is this thing a piece of junk? Can it be trusted to work reliably in the hands of an elderly avid reader whose trips to the library are getting tougher and tougher?

Should I have bought the Kindle?

This makes me sick so close to Christmas! I think I made a huge mistake.
"Merry Christmas Mom, I got you a White Screen of Death"

thanks for any advice
T.
tootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
What did B&N support say?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie View Post
Bought new Nook 4 weeks ago, have been playing around and setting it up as a gift for my Mom. It had version 1.4.3. "Upgraded" to software version 1.5 @ B&N's prompt. Maybe that was my mistake.

I just tried to purchase some books over 3G, and the screen went WHITE, and no response PERIOD.

Can anyone recommend any course of action? I already contacted B&N support. So far, nothing.

Is this thing a piece of junk? Can it be trusted to work reliably in the hands of an elderly avid reader whose trips to the library are getting tougher and tougher?

thanks for any advice
T.
Try removing the battery.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Trying removing the battery,
leave it on charge for a whole day,

if still no go. Then take it back to B&N under warranty.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
tootie

It was fully charged, and this would be the first time I tried to "preload" some books for my Mom.

She can't deal, and I won't tolerate, a device that requires battery removal, resets, and hours of support co-pilots, etc...

It has to be straightforward, and replace the books my Mom would get from the library, otherwise, it's a paperweight.

Sometimes things just have to work... this does not, not at all, and I am in a bit of a panic since my goal was to load the Nook up with books, show her how to do it, and be confident she can manage w/o undo hassles.

Fool me once...
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
Maybe an e-reader device is not the best thing for your mom, no matter if it's a Kindle, nook, Sony or whatever. While electronic devices are great for younger people...they're not so great for the elderly. Hey I gave my parents his 'n her iPods several years ago, my dad uses his, and I have no doubt my mom's is in a drawer somewhere.

My experience with my e-reader devices is that they'll freeze up every now and then. Fortunately, I have patience and know-how to get through it.
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
It was fully charged, and this would be the first time I tried to "preload" some books for my Mom.

She can't deal, and I won't tolerate, a device that requires battery removal, resets, and hours of support co-pilots, etc...

It has to be straightforward, and replace the books my Mom would get from the library, otherwise, it's a paperweight.

Sometimes things just have to work... this does not, not at all, and I am in a bit of a panic since my goal was to load the Nook up with books, show her how to do it, and be confident she can manage w/o undo hassles.

Fool me once...
Slow down and read what people said, they are trying to help you. Take the battery out, put it back in, leave it on charge for a day without doing anything. THEN see if it still has issues.

A Kindle will do you no good as it cannot read the format that most libraries use.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
<<Sometimes things just have to work... this does not, not at all, and I am in a bit of a panic since my goal was to load the Nook up with books, show her how to do it, and be confident she can manage w/o undo hassles.>>

I think I can understand what you're going through, as I've thought about getting a Nook for my mother, She loves nothing more than reading at home, unless it is hanging out in a nearby Barnes and Noble and reading there. However, even though she manages okay with electronics I'm not sure she has the patience to deal with the little foibles of almost any ereader I can think of. I thought of giving her a Nook for Christmas, but since we live at a once-a-year-visit distance from each other, I will probably wait until I go there and let her try out my Nook to see if she gets hooked, teach her to use it, and then get one for her.

As to what's happening with you now, you can find complaints in this forum and others about problems like yours with each of the popular ereaders. But though things like this just sort of go with the territory, having one problem like this doesn't mean that you will have any more once you've gotten this one straightened out. Since you say this started right after doing the update, the particular problem you're having might be solved and never reappear if you go through the basic troubleshooting procedures. You've already done the hard reset using the power button, so try removing the battery for at least 10 seconds as outlined in the manual (http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pim..._NOOK_v1_5.pdf, page 22-23). Taking away the power from a device like this will straighten out a host of ills.

If those steps don't work, by all means call support and get them to replace it.

Good luck, and I hope this works out for you.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
tootie

>>My experience with my e-reader devices is that they'll freeze up every now and then. Fortunately, I have patience and know-how to get through it. <<

Complete BS, me thinks. I feel sorry for you that "...my experience ...e-reader devices is that they'll freeze up every now and then..." It's not 1989, these are specific purpose devices, in a very competitive market. And I KNOW my way around just about any device; my mom, not so. The Nook is not ready for prime time. It works, or it is a paper weight, nothing in between. Patience has nothing to do with it. "Fortunately"? your tone smells like someone who won't admit they bought a dog.

Anyone who thinks this is acceptable, and thinks "...removing batteries, resetting to the older OS version, etc..." doesn't understand the market for a device like this.

Or, maybe your a shill for B&N. Right now, I am unimpressed.

Let's see how B&N responds before I deliver the verdict.
T.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
May be this belongs in the "nook" section, instead of the "news" section.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Or, maybe your a shill for B&N. Right now, I am unimpressed.
Yeah, I feel the same way about people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're."

More on topic, I have had multiple freezes that required hard resets on both my Sony PRS-300 and my PRS-350. Someone I know with a Jetbook Lite has had the same issues. Ebook readers are computers. Computers crash sometimes.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Maybe you should give physical books as gifts. If you're blowing up over this, perhaps it's best that you avoid electronics.

Also, if you want assistance try a different tone in your writing.

Last edited by SCION; 12-13-2010 at 11:39 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

thanks for any advice
T.
I find these types of threads very suspcious, Look if you got a lemon which you may have, it happens. It's only 4 weeks old, its under warranty, take the warranty, have it replaced and go on.

If you are a Kindle troll then go back to the Amazon thread if not, do what normal people do when they get a bad product that is under warranty, use it.

Good luck
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
If you/you're mom can't deal with technology, and the glitches that go along with it, then I think you should:

1. Return the nook to a B&N store
2. Buy her paper books instead

It really is that simple.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I'm rather suspicious of this post myself, the person has been given advise that may help them and they refuse to even give it a try. (I have never known a computer that didn't need a reboot)

They may not know how to remove the battery (there are many people who find the whole technology thing too much for them). They may also live too far away from a B&N store to replace the unit. But both of these do not give the OP the right to be so rude.

The thing I'm not 100% sure on, are they asking for advice and help on how to fix it or do they just want to be rude and insulting?

Last edited by iandix; 12-14-2010 at 12:09 AM.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, mistake, no power, version 1.5, white screen