Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Windows can't see my PP anymore

Ok, I tried to do the firmware upgrade. The first time it didn't go all the way through, and my screen looked like static that was stuck in time. I have a loading bar at the bottom. I called tech support and they said that I needed to format the internal memory of the device.

Which would be fine, if Windows could see it. >< I've even tried it on my boss' Mac, and it can't see it either. I did download a new version of the firmware (I had been having issues with my virus scan scanning and scanning and scanning any removable devices and it was making the transfer of the old firmware update mess up.)

I managed to update the firmware again by hitting the rest button while holding the up and power buttons. This time it went through fine. Now the screen is uniformly black, with a progress bar at the bottom.

I'm really looking for any suggestions. I'm thinking either I need a way to tell the device to format itself, or to please talk to Windows. I'm thinking since I can get into the updater, if I had something in the format of a .bin file that would format the internal memory I'd be good.

I looked at the site for OpenInkPot, but it doesn't look like they support PP yet. I was wondering how much worse it would make things if I tried to put that on my device anyway.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The progress bar and a black screen is not fine. I would suggest you download the update again to your SD card and retry the upgrade. It should finish and tell you to hit any key and then it should reboot and show you the library view. Once you get there then see if it works ok. (If you don't have an SD card reader then buy one so that you can perform this step)
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
OpenInkPot won't work on the PocketPro.

If all you get is a progress bar from the firmware upgrade, it has not worked.

I am not optimistic that anything will help, but what I would do is:

a) Download a new copy of the firmware to your PC.
b) Use a SD/SDHC card reader to recopy the new .bin file to the root of the SD/SDHC card.
c) Plug in the USB charger.
d) Insert the SD or SDHC card into the Pocket Pro.
e) Update the firmware, with the USB charger still plugged in.

If the installation works, the device should reboot and get past the EZ Reader login screen. At this point you can try reconnecting to your PC via USB and if this works you should be able to reformat the internal memory (if necessary).

What I think is happening is that corrupted .bin files are being used for the update. The bad .bin files may be due to the other issues reported on the USB connection, so one safety measure would be to always use a stand-alone SD card reader to copy over the .bin file (as above). A "robust" firmware update process should be able to recover from a failed update, by updating again with a good firmware file. I don't recall seeing this many problems reported with the Hanlin V3 firmware update process, and I think this is because the V3 update is relatively robust.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Just to reiterate: you did unzip the file after you downloaded it, didn't you. You have to unzip it, and use the .bin file from the unzipped file, not the file you dowloaded.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I love you guys!!!!! The fourth time was the charm!!!!!!
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Just to reiterate: you did unzip the file after you downloaded it, didn't you. You have to unzip it, and use the .bin file from the unzipped file, not the file you dowloaded.
LadyRixx

I'll hold AJ down for ya...
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Progress bar? Is this for the books?
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Progress bar? Is this for the books?
That little black bar you see when you are updating in the middle lower part of you screen
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I would also suggest that you set your AntiVirus to NOT scan or "Automatically fix" the "drive" in your PEz. A false positive could really mess things up. A human eyeball overseeing can usually recognize a bogus positive.

Last edited by theducks; 10-15-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I was thinkin Not
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
LadyRixx

I'll hold AJ down for ya...

husband.... remember.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
husband.... remember.
unfortunately, yes, i remember
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote