Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Enjoy your coffee and your kindle.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

I never kept more than a dozen or two of books on my Kindle in the last several years I owned a Kindle. Why spend days placing a huge library on a device that is known to puke on occasion? I don't like cleaning up huge amounts of puke, so I kept only a few books on it. As long as I have my books in a cloud and/or stored away on HDD/SSD somewhere, I don't feel the need to keep my entire library on a device. I think that took me a puke or two to decide, but once you clean up Kindle puke a time or two you start to wonder why you really need every book you ever owned loaded on it. YMMV of course.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is use the reading list plugin. That keeps track of what books are on my H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I never kept more than a dozen or two of books on my Kindle in the last several years I owned a Kindle. Why spend days placing a huge library on a device that is known to puke on occasion? I don't like cleaning up huge amounts of puke, so I kept only a few books on it. As long as I have my books in a cloud and/or stored away on HDD/SSD somewhere, I don't feel the need to keep my entire library on a device. I think that took me a puke or two to decide, but once you clean up Kindle puke a time or two you start to wonder why you really need every book you ever owned loaded on it. YMMV of course.
Me: Kindle Fire is telling me no app memory. Had only default apps.
CS: It will probably have to be reset.
Me: Is there anything else I can try first that I haven't already thought of.
CS: Ok, try this, this and this.
Me: Didn't help.
CS: Factory reset then. Please let us know if it works.
Me:Ok.

After factory reset
Me: The factory reset solved the problem. Did you know it takes about 15 minutes to load 1000 books on the carousel. That is all the first fire's carousel will hold.
CS: Please call back and let us know how long it took you to go through your 8000 book library.

I called back the next day and let them know about 8 hours.

So yep: know about kindle puke.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I copied the newest update file to the Kindle, but the file was not renamed.

This is the name:

update-3202090019-e5d5db24-4c68-4fc1-85f1-d87fbfd08ac3.bin

--- I'll leave it connected to my computer, until I hear what I should do, or should try to do.

OR if I should delete the update file and try the earlier (other) method.

THANKS!
That is the name I was expecting. I had said to look for 'update-#####-AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDD.bin',. and instead of typing all those numbers again, I just called it fancy-name later.

But I'm glad that you are up an running again!

the ### I think is part of a timestamp?, and the number/letter are form a UUID unique number.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Me: Kindle Fire is telling me no app memory. Had only default apps.
CS: It will probably have to be reset.
Me: Is there anything else I can try first that I haven't already thought of.
CS: Ok, try this, this and this.
Me: Didn't help.
CS: Factory reset then. Please let us know if it works.
Me:Ok.

After factory reset
Me: The factory reset solved the problem. Did you know it takes about 15 minutes to load 1000 books on the carousel. That is all the first fire's carousel will hold.
CS: Please call back and let us know how long it took you to go through your 8000 book library.

I called back the next day and let them know about 8 hours.

So yep: know about kindle puke.
It is frustrating whenever you call a CS for almost any device and the first thing they tell you is to do a RESET. There is quite often a better solution than the NUCLEAR one! I always search online for solutions first. Calling CS is always my last option since I will probably get someone in another country who barely speaks English and has no frigging clue about how to solve my issue. I can hear them reading through their cheat sheets to find an answer. I used to write those cheat sheets for CS when I worked for Computer Associates. Chances are you can find an answer researching it yourself faster than the bozos in CS can. Don did the right thing asking in this forum rather than calling CS.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It is frustrating whenever you call a CS for almost any device and the first thing they tell you is to do a RESET. There is quite often a better solution than the NUCLEAR one! I always search online for solutions first. Calling CS is always my last option since I will probably get someone in another country who barely speaks English and has no frigging clue about how to solve my issue. I can hear them reading through their cheat sheets to find an answer. I used to write those cheat sheets for CS when I worked for Computer Associates. Chances are you can find an answer researching it yourself faster than the bozos in CS can. Don did the right thing asking in this forum rather than calling CS.
Trust me. I had already done everything I could find on the net.
I got nice Americans in CS.

Now the last time I had to call Kindle CS was to get a very quick refund on a book. Call went like this:
CS: How can I help you?
Me: I need to return this book.
CS: Can I ask why?
Me: the author asked me to look at the sample and I accidentally clicked buy. He already gave me a copy of his book.
CS: While giggling: the book has been removed, now remember to click sample not buy. He stayed on the line to make sure just the sample went through.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

The last time I tasted puke, it tasted pretty good. (Of course, it was my own puke.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The last time I tasted puke, it tasted pretty good. (Of course, it was my own puke.)
Did you get those nice carrot chunks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My mileage does indeed vary . In all the years I've used Kindles (since the K3), I've never needed to do a factory reset, or had a Kindle do one of its own accord.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #26
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My mileage does indeed vary . In all the years I've used Kindles (since the K3), I've never needed to do a factory reset, or had a Kindle do one of its own accord.
I don't think I ever did one on my K1 even. None of my kindles. K1, K3, basic button, Voyage, Oasis. I did do one on the PW1 I couldn't use because I gave it to my husband who has his own account and I wanted him to have a clean kindle.

I think now that I think of it, that PW1 did cause me to do a factory reset once before that. It was when they introduced the cloud thingy which made it work so badly that I about gave up. It didn't help though and I gave it to hubby then anyway. He only has a handful of books on his account so it doesn't cause him those issues.

I don't put every book I own on my kindles, but there are usually about 300 or so on it. I own over 3000. I also have a lot of collections. I think that is why the PW1 choked on me. Haven't had any issues with kindles after that one though.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #27
favero_
Enthusiast
favero_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
It restarted and asked what language I want.

I chose my language and await the results of the moving bar.

-------

I now have the 'Get Started' screen.

I'm now going to delete my account on this unit and then continue the process of again registering this device. (CORRECTION: Wiping the device apparently wiped out the account for this device. In other words, this Kindle Voyage was NOT showing in my account, after doing the Restore.)

The unit is now registered and operational.

I am now in the process of updating to the current firmware.

More in a moment.

---------------

The slider bar is moving...about one-half way complete.

The suspense is...shall we say....thrilling?

UPDATE SUCCESSFUL!

The Kindle is starting up.

The sliding bar again....all is normal so far.

----------

SUCCESS!

My thanks to

knc1 (This is the solution that worked)

and to coplate (for additional suggestions)
Does that mean that you reseting your kindle made it downgrade to the previous version? If so, then it's possible to downgrade from 5.8.9.2?
favero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by favero_ View Post
Does that mean that you reseting your kindle made it downgrade to the previous version? If so, then it's possible to downgrade from 5.8.9.2?
Short answer: No and No.

Long answer (technical):
Of the little computer system devices we have with us every day, two are worth mentioning in this reply:

*) Kindle e-ink readers.
They run an Amazon custom Linux distribution based embedded system (no name, it just is).

*) Kindle 'fire' readers, most cell 'phones, many tablets, whatever you have in your pocket that you keep forgetting to recharge ...
They run a Google custom Linux distribution based embedded system (common name: Android).

There are also two common ways of making these embedded computer system devices 'survivable' out in the real world:

1) Set aside the storage space required to keep a complete, additional, known good, 'safe(ty) system'.
This is completely separate from the one that runs the device every day and may get updated from time-to-time.

Executing a: "(factory) Reset" function on a device designed like the above causes the currently executing (and possibly damaged) system to be replaced with a copy of the 'safe system'.
Then the device and the user get to start over from just like the device was when it climbed out of its shipping box.

2) Set aside the storage space required to keep two, complete, yet different, operating systems on-board. Technically known as a 'dual boot' system.
And not unlike a PC that might have both WinXP and Win7 installed at the same time so the user can choose which they want to use.

Executing a: "(factory) Reset" function on such a device only effects the one system that is running at the time. The other, independent, system is not disturbed (although it might be run to auto-fix the main system).
It this type of system, the only thing a "(factory) Reset" does is erase anything that might have been added by the user.
I.E: All it does is empty user storage (visible and hidden) and re-initialize it.

Now the easy part:
Color display Kindle (Fire) readers are run by Android, Android is the type 1 system described above.

E-ink display Kindle readers are run by the Amazon OS (not Google's) and are the type 2 system described above.

tl:dr;
E-ink Kindles do not behave the same as your cell 'phone when you press "reset".
Differently designed systems from the git-go.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ Thanks for the explanation above.

Do I now have - again - a 'back-up' (invisible) system that will work in case of another catastrophic event?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
^ Thanks for the explanation above.

Do I now have - again - a 'back-up' (invisible) system that will work in case of another catastrophic event?
Yes.
Which is why I asked if your device was jailbroken.

Access to the 'other' installed system 'Diags' requires our Rescue Pack, which requires our jail break.

But it is still installed and the 'main' system will use it as required to run repairs.

It might be interesting to dump the message files now, after the incident, just so we could get an idea of what was happening.
Main screen and enter into the search bar:
;dm
the semi-colon is part of the command: dump messages.
The message logs will show up in /documents (where you can read them on the Kindle and/or copy them out, zip them up, and attach them to a post here).

That big hammer, the 'purge to factory setup' might have thrown away all the interesting message logs, but we will not know until you dump them for us.

Last edited by knc1; 07-22-2017 at 08:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote