Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks jackie_w.
I thought that I make something wrong....

At the first time I read that outside epub fonts work (older ereaders than T1) - I decided to use this method - but I have a T1.... So now I know that this doesn't work... What a pity!
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
Thanks jackie_w.
I thought that I make something wrong....

At the first time I read that outside epub fonts work (older ereaders than T1) - I decided to use this method - but I have a T1.... So now I know that this doesn't work... What a pity!
It doesn't work yet ! It's still possible that an unknown (today) external resource path would solve the problem.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Maybe we (who wants to use this method) should make a separate thread to show which paths we tried. So we all don't have to try the same paths.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
These are two I tried ... which failed

Internal mem: src: url(res:///mnt/sdcard/fonts/xxx.ttf)
microSD card: src: url(res:///mnt/extsd/fonts/xxx.ttf)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #20
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
For embedding the fonts, I've been using Amasis. That adds about 30-35k to each ePub for each font regular, italic, bold, and bold italic. Not so bad.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #21
salines
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
For embedding the fonts, I've been using Amasis. That adds about 30-35k to each ePub for each font regular, italic, bold, and bold italic. Not so bad.
+ the time for embedding the fonts.

Maybe I have time to play at the weekend with the paths.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #22
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thumbs down Tests

I tried to make an EPUB containing the following stylesheet and paragraphs referencing the corresponding classes (<p class="a">ABC...</p>...) with Sigil, but only the first one (class = "a") was successful, all the others falling back to the default PRS-T1 serif font. I'm sure that /system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf exist on the PRS-T1 because I extracted it with ebook_msc.exe (command line: ebook_msc.exe name "PRS-T1" get /system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf) and embedded it in my test ebook in Fonts subdirectory (in Sigil, at the same level as the Styles directory that referenced it, hence the ../Fonts in MyFont1 definition).
I added a fonts directory containing comic.ttf on my PRS-T1 (=> /mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf references)
Actually, all references outside of the ebook itself seems to fail

The PRS-T1 have the following font files in /system/fonts folder:
AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf
AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf
AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf
AmasisMTW1G.otf
FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Bold.otf
FrutigerNeueLTW1G-BoldIt.otf
FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Italic.otf
FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf
HelveticaMonospacedW1G-Bd.otf
HelveticaMonospacedW1G-BdIt.otf
HelveticaMonospacedW1G-It.otf
HelveticaMonospacedW1G-Rg.otf
PalatinoNovaW1G-Bold.otf
PalatinoNovaW1G-BoldItalic.otf
PalatinoNovaW1G-Italic.otf
PalatinoNovaW1G-Regular.otf
ReallyNo2LTW1G-Bold.otf
ReallyNo2LTW1G-BoldItalic.otf
ReallyNo2LTW1G-Italic.otf
ReallyNo2LTW1G-Regular.otf
UniversNextW1G-Bold.otf
UniversNextW1G-BoldItalic.otf
UniversNextW1G-Italic.otf
UniversNextW1G-Regular.otf
VerdanaW1G-Bold.otf
VerdanaW1G-BoldItalic.otf
VerdanaW1G-Italic.otf
VerdanaW1G.otf
SWNMTeb.ttc (=> SYNMinIWA-Th or SYMinIWA-Th)
Clockopia.ttf
DroidSans-Bold.ttf (=> HelveticaNeueLTW1G-Bd)
DroidSans.ttf (=> HelveticaNeueLTW1G-Roman)
DroidSansArabic.ttf
DroidSansFallback.ttf
DroidSansHebrew.ttf
DroidSansMono.ttf
DroidSansThai.ttf
DroidSerif-Bold.ttf
DroidSerif-BoldItalic.ttf
DroidSerif-Italic.ttf
DroidSerif-Regular.ttf
tt0003m_.ttf (=> Swis721 BT Roman)
tt0011m_.ttf (=> Dutch801 Rm BT Roman)
tt0419m_.ttf (=> Courier10 BT Roman)

My stylesheet.css content:

@font-face {
font-family: MyFont1;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont2;
src: url(/system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont3;
src: url(//system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont4;
src: url(///system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont5;
src: url(res:/system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont6;
src: url(res://system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont7;
src: url(res:///system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont8;
src: url(file:/system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont9;
src: url(file://system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont10;
src: url(file:///system/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont11;
src: url(/mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont12;
src: url(//mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont13;
src: url(///mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont14;
src: url(res:/mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont15;
src: url(res://mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont16;
src: url(res:///mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont17;
src: url(file:/mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont18;
src: url(file://mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: MyFont19;
src: url(file:///mnt/sdcard/fonts/comic.ttf);
}
p {
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0;
}
p.a {
}
p.b {
font-family: MyFont2;
}
p.c {
font-family: MyFont3;
}
p.d {
font-family: MyFont4;
}
p.e {
font-family: MyFont5;
}
p.f {
font-family: MyFont6;
}
p.g {
font-family: MyFont7;
}
p.h {
font-family: MyFont8;
}
p.i {
font-family: MyFont9;
}
p.j {
font-family: MyFont10;
}
p.k {
font-family: MyFont11;
}
p.l {
font-family: MyFont12;
}
p.m {
font-family: MyFont13;
}
p.n {
font-family: MyFont14;
}
p.o {
font-family: MyFont15;
}
p.p {
font-family: MyFont16;
}
p.q {
font-family: MyFont17;
}
p.r {
font-family: MyFont18;
}
p.s {
font-family: MyFont19;
}
Attached Files
File Type: epub aa.epub (112.3 KB, 328 views)
Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #23
salines
Zealot

Thanks for testing.

That's no good result.....
Old 11-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@seabee,
Thanks for trying. We need some divine inspiration...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-28-2011 at 03:22 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #26
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Thanks, Seabee, for doing all this testing and sharing the results!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 11-30-2011 at 02:01 AM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #27
salines
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@seabee,
Thanks for trying. We need some divine inspiration...
Maybe the "root-guru" could help....
http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D21458
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #28
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
Maybe the "root-guru" could help....
http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D21458
The last contact I had with porkupan/boroda he was aware of the problem but had not spent any serious effort looking for a solution, I guess because he was concentrating on his 'root the PRS-T1' project. The 2 options I mentioned in post #19 were based on his info.

It's quite possible that rooting the PRS-T1 and using one of the other epub readers (e.g. CoolReader, FBReader) is a different solution to the problem. However, not everyone will be confident enough to go this way. I have previous experience using FBReader because it is one of the 2 defaults on my PocketBook 360 but I hated it because it ignores most of the epub's css styling - other people love it for exactly the same reason

Like you, I hope one of the technical gurus will take an interest in solving the T1 custom fonts problem at some point, but until then will have to make do with physically embedding fonts in each and every epub to get custom fonts with all Bold and Italics intact.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #29
seabee
Connoisseur

Lightbulb Direct reference to PRS-T1 included fonts

I finally succeeded for references to any PRS-T1 integrated font !

for exemple:
@font-face {
src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf);
}

Don't need to include a copy of these fonts in each ePUB !
See my previous list of filenames for fonts you can directly reference.
And now that I found this, I know that references outside of the ebook content are possible, only have to find how to reference user-visible integrated and external flash.
I can also stop trying urls that don't begin with res:/// !

My sample reference 6 of the PRS-T1 fonts without embedding them (obviously in 2.3KB) plus a failed reference to a font added to internal flash.

FYI, I already tried res:///ebook/mnt/sdcard (in the sample) and res:///ebook/sdcard as READER root, both failed, will do more tests tomorrow.
Attached Files
File Type: epub aa.epub (2.3 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by seabee; 11-29-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added sample and FYI
Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@seabee,

This is encouraging - hope you find the magic 'external location' soon