Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #76
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Just set gamma correction to 1.0.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #77
squall_dc
squall_dc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, KindlePPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Just set gamma correction to 1.0.
Thanks AcidWeb! That works perfect
squall_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #78
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
First I wanted to say thanks for the work. Posting a few ideas/improvements?

Any chance to disable cropping of border whitespace if border is bigger than x? Maybe a scale then crop on these instead of crop then scale. I keep coming across oddball pages that have small panels or artwork in the center but get the huge border cropped and small image massively scaled up. I would disable cropping for these pages in mangle.
I was converting claymore manga and kept coming across this, I know this isn't an issue in most comic/mangas.

Also a a .desktop file and png or svg for linux would be appreciated, I can make these for myself but to put in a distro package it would be nice to have them included.

Thanks again.

My last wish would be if the border cropped is black and not the right resolution after scaling then paste a black border to fill it.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #79
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Any chance to disable cropping of border whitespace if border is bigger than x? Maybe a scale then crop on these instead of crop then scale. I keep coming across oddball pages that have small panels or artwork in the center but get the huge border cropped and small image massively scaled up. I would disable cropping for these pages in mangle.
I was converting claymore manga and kept coming across this, I know this isn't an issue in most comic/mangas.
Hi Valentino, glad KCC is useful for you!
Sure it's possible to add such an option, please file it as an issue in github!
If you can provide me a test comic via PM it would be useful, too

Quote:
Also a a .desktop file and png or svg for linux would be appreciated, I can make these for myself but to put in a distro package it would be nice to have them included.
this is a nice enhancement too, can you open another issue for this one, attaching the .desktop file (or fork and submit a pull request)?

Quote:
My last wish would be if the border cropped is black and not the right resolution after scaling then paste a black border to fill it.
this one is a little obscure: you'd like to set border fill color white or black based upon the page's border, instead of setting it always white/black for the whole comic? Or I'm badly understanding?
ciromattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #80
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

I need someone that can test KCC working on OSX Snow Leopard (10.6).
Anyone out there?
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #81
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is giving me a headache. I have selected kindle paperwhite as the output device but it gives me an unusable epub? How does that work.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #82
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraflame View Post
This is giving me a headache. I have selected kindle paperwhite as the output device but it gives me an unusable epub? How does that work.
I think you forgot about the kindlegen. If so read the thread, info is here already.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #83
mobilsd
mobilsd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Already on the works with Ciromattia, but I want to share the info maybe someone in the community has more ideas.

I tried KCC to convert a folder with images to mobi file(s) but I get the '/no such file .mobi' ERROR/errno2. I have kindlegen on my system. Another "image to mobi converter" is using it to convert with no trouble.

This is what Terminal tells me. (I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8)

IF I run macbook:~ $ kindlegen
Amazon kindlegen(MAC OSX) V2.8 build 0208-797bf75
A command line e-book compiler
Copyright Amazon.com and its Affiliates 2013

Usage : kindlegen [filename.opf/.htm/.html/.epub/.zip or directory] [-c0 or -c1 or c2] [-verbose] [-western] [-o <file name>]
Note:
zip/directory formats are supported for XMDF sources
Options:
-c0: no compression
-c1: standard DOC compression
-c2: Kindle huffdic compression
-o <file name>: Specifies the output file name. Output file will be created in the same directory as that of input file. <file name> should not contain directory path.
-verbose: provides more information during ebook conversion
-western: force build of Windows-1252 book
-releasenotes: display release notes
-gif: images are converted to GIF format (no JPEG in the book)
-locale <locale option> : To display messages in selected language
en: English
de: German
fr: French
it: Italian
es: Spanish

If i do macbook:~ $ which kindlegen
/opt/local/bin/kindlegen

AND IF I do macbook:~ $ type kindlegen
kindlegen is hashed (/opt/local/bin/kindlegen)

IF I do macbook:~ $ kindlegen /Volumen/HDD2/documents/xxxx.epub
it does info(pcrgen) and builts the xxxx.mobi So I believe it works. AND I tried this with the epub generated by KCC.
Today I add a KindleGen folder in my homeuser but still the same Errno2.

I like/use KCC regardless, but I wanted to inform about this situation.
mobilsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #84
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Tkinter's Python unfortunately does not evaluate environmental vars like $PATH, so the issue here is that kindlegen has to stay into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.
Any other position (like /opt/local/bin) is not considered, even if in PATH - and this is why kindlegen runs from console and not via KCC's GUI.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #85
devorez
devorez began at the beginning.

Looks like the Window GUI version doesn't handle chapters.
If I add a folder containing chapters (folders), it produces an error

Quote:
Error on file C:/mangas/test
image file is truncated (54 bytes not processed)
Traceback:
[' File "C:\\Users\\lestat\\Documents\\GitHub\\kcc\\kcc\\g ui.py", line 201, in convert\n', ' File "C:\\Users\\lestat\\Documents\\GitHub\\kcc\\kcc\\c omic2ebook.py", line 595, in main\n', ' File "C:\\Users\\lestat\\Documents\\GitHub\\kcc\\kcc\\c omic2ebook.py", line 318, in dirImgProcess\n', ' File "C:\\Users\\lestat\\Documents\\GitHub\\kcc\\kcc\\i mage.py", line 114, in __init__\n', ' File "c:\\Python27\\lib\\site-packages\\PIL\\Image.py", line 679, in convert\n self.load()\n', ' File "c:\\Python27\\lib\\site-packages\\PIL\\ImageFile.py", line 201, in load\n raise IOError("image file is truncated (%d bytes not processed)" % len(b))\n']

Last edited by devorez; 03-31-2013 at 01:38 PM.
devorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #86
mobilsd
mobilsd began at the beginning.

THIS Worked!!!>>> $ ln -s /opt/local/bin/kindlegen /usr/local/bin/

a kindlegen copy was in that folder (/usr/local/bin/) already but until I ran the command express above KCC did the conversion in .mobi without problems.

THANK YOU CIROMATTIA.
mobilsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #87
Anamanaguchii
Anamanaguchii began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite
Alright, I'm pretty frustrated here haha. I tried using KCC and it converts my images and CRBs perfectly into epub. It's quite amazing but it fails to create mobi files. I constantly get this error:

"Error on file /users/myname/xxxx.mobi: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: "/Users/myname/xxxx.mobi"

As seen here: http://i.imgur.com/33lnl2V.png
From my understanding, the Kindlegen part must not be doing its job converting the epub into mobi but I also placed the Kindlegen file into HDD/Developer/usr/bin. Am I doing something wrong here?

KCC is amazing and you guys are doing a great job constantly updating it and staying in touch with its users. I just wish I could figure out how to get it to work haha.

EDIT: I managed to find a work around for now. I can drag and drop KindleGen into terminal and then grab the epub that KCC created. The new mobi file works perfectly.

Last edited by Anamanaguchii; 03-31-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Anamanaguchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #88
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamanaguchii View Post
From my understanding, the Kindlegen part must not be doing its job converting the epub into mobi but I also placed the Kindlegen file into HDD/Developer/usr/bin. Am I doing something wrong here?
yes. kindlegen needs to be into /usr/bin OR /usr/local/bin, not in /Developer.
I'm sorry but I can't stress this enough: Python's Tk bindings are really silly and don't evaluate $PATH, so you HAVE to put kindlegen there, like I said 3 posts earlier.

@devorez: please send me the comic giving you issues, I'll take a look to it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #89
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciromattia View Post
I'm sorry but I can't stress this enough: Python's Tk bindings are really silly and don't evaluate $PATH, ....
Ain't that the truth. full sympathy on that.

Just wanted to say great work.

I hope to use this for docs in future. great work
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #90
orb
orb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Contrast?

Hey Ciromattia,

I got KCC working and tested it out with a PDF I had of a Tintin comic and a CBR of Game of Thrones. I got my mobi output with kindlegen and unrar, imported it into Calibre, and sent it from Calibre via USB to my Paperwhite. But in both comics, a lot of detail is washing out, especially in the colored backgrounds. I have the backlight at its highest setting. Is there anything I could do in KCC to increase contrast or are these just the constraints of having a black-and-white e-reader for colored comics?

NVM tried gamma correction. looks good.

Last edited by orb; 04-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools