Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Hykue
Hykue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How well does the touch screen last?

I am hard on electronics, unfortunately. My sister is going to get me a kindle for my birthday (I have the best sister ever), and I would kind of like to have some kind of keyboard that isn't navigated with the buttons at the bottom. This has led me to consider a Kindle Touch, but I'm worried that the screen might not hold up to being thrown in a back-pack or bike-bag, getting drooled on by my baby, etc. So I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has either had the touch screen last through years of hard use or wrecked the touchscreen through abuse.

Thanks in advance!
Hykue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
frankelr
frankelr doesn't litterfrankelr doesn't litter

Device: k3kb, KTso, Nook ST
my own opinion

Hi,

Since the Kindle Touch was only available since November and I'd guess
the Nook Touch is out for less than a year. no one has any really long term experience. I have my Kindle Touch since mid-november and my Nook touch since early December. Both seem to hold up well. I believe that the best way to have "long" life is with a good cover, which is always kept closed when not reading.

That said, I just bought a Kindle non-touch for my grand daughter (12 years old) because I thought it would be more likely to remain functional for longer.

I am a technology geek and I wanted to try out TOUCHs, I'm not sorry, but unlike with the Iphone and Ipad devices, TOUCH adds very little to the eink reading experience.

BTW IMHO the Nook is the nicest ereader to hold and read from, while the Kindle has the best all around eco-system package
frankelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It is relatively easy to break an eink screen, whether it is touch or not. The interior of the screen, under the plastic, is a thin sheet of glass. If you're going to be "tossing" it anywhere, you'd best have it in an extremely sturdy cover or case. I would definitely avoid drooling on it, it doesn't react well to liquids.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Touch uses the same basic setup as the Sony PRS-650 and those have been around for a long while now with lots of people having no isssues. As pidgeon92 says though they are breakable (applies to all eInk not just touch) as part of their construction is glass. You'd definately want some kind of case or protective sleeve if you're going to carry it in a backpack.

Note the touch aspect of the K-Touch is made up of a couple of infrared sensors built into the screen bezel as opposed to an extra touch layer over the entire screen. While I suppose the sensors are one more thing that could fail on the device the overall screen durability should be the same as a non-touch.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykue View Post
I am hard on electronics, unfortunately. My sister is going to get me a kindle for my birthday (I have the best sister ever), and I would kind of like to have some kind of keyboard that isn't navigated with the buttons at the bottom. This has led me to consider a Kindle Touch, but I'm worried that the screen might not hold up to being thrown in a back-pack or bike-bag, getting drooled on by my baby, etc. So I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has either had the touch screen last through years of hard use or wrecked the touchscreen through abuse.

Thanks in advance!
The Kindle Touch seems a little sturdier to me than any of the others I've used. I've dropped mine on a hard wood floor from about 4 feet and luckily nothing broke. My 8 month old chews and drools on it on occasion and so far no problems have stemmed from that either. I do recommend using a sleeve or case. I use a Javoedge flex sleeve and it works great.
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Hykue
Hykue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok, thank you for the replies. I'll give it some more thought . . .

And yes, I was planning to put it in a case of some description.
Hykue is offline   Reply With Quote