Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cybook ordering

October is rapidly running out. Unless Bookeen finally start taking orders this week, I think their chance of actually shipping product by the end of the month are "remote", to say the least!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
There is a new blog entry at Bookens blog saying: "We will very soon open our online shop (and by the way add much more info concerning the Cybook Gen3 on the site). Here is a pic of the packaging of the Cybook Gen3."

Last edited by tompe; 10-21-2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: mis-spelled link
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good news. The link in your post doesn't work, BTW.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
October is rapidly running out. Unless Bookeen finally start taking orders this week, I think their chance of actually shipping product by the end of the month are "remote", to say the least!
I still don't think it'll be ready. Heck, they just released 0.99 of the firmware. So I'm still going by a November release date. They have yet to get 1.0 of the firmware ready. And once that is ready, they still have to make all the units and package them and ship them and so forth. So November is a lot more realistic at this time. Unless of course to be done in October they rush out an unfinished product. if they do that though, their reputation will be mud.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I still don't think it'll be ready. Heck, they just released 0.99 of the firmware. So I'm still going by a November release date. They have yet to get 1.0 of the firmware ready. And once that is ready, they still have to make all the units and package them and ship them and so forth. So November is a lot more realistic at this time.

At the rate they're releasing the latest firmware updates, they probably will have v1.0 by this upcoming Friday. That's a good three days before the end of the month. As long as it contains the working audio plug-in, the ability to pan and zoom PDFs and either support for multi-file HTML ebooks or RTF support, I'd say they could ship and call it a commercial product. Note that I asked for *either* multiple-file HTML ebook support *OR* RTF support. Either one would give the widest range of ebook support for a v1.0 release. Then, whichever one they haven't got, could be added in the next update or so.

I must admit that I'd really like some sort of PC app which does the update process through the USB cable... For a novice, the updating of firmware through the SD card can be a bit scary. (I say this because the 0.98 update was - for me - rather scary and frustrating, and I'm *not* a handheld/pc updating novice.)

Taking the menu shots today. Will post. But I'm finding the rest of the Cybook's 0.99 firmware is quite stable. And I'm loving the no-flash-with-black-screen page flip to be rather nice for book reading. I'd not want to use it during the image-viewer slideshow, but it is more comfortable for books.

I must note that there's a slow, but minor, build-up of pale grey shadowing where the old lines used to be. It's not irritating, just *there*, after a few dozen page flips when not using 'flashing'. I'll try to capture it and post the image.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you take a book and flip the pages without the flashing and show s how it looks at the end of the book? Does it get worse enough so you want the flashing at some point just to clean the ghosting?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I must admit that I'd really like some sort of PC app which does the update process through the USB cable... For a novice, the updating of firmware through the SD card can be a bit scary. (I say this because the 0.98 update was - for me - rather scary and frustrating, and I'm *not* a handheld/pc updating novice.)
Well, to support as many operating system as possible updating throught the SD card is the best way to go. I also find it more scary to update hardware using a PC since this process is sensitive to power drop out or disconnection of cable and other unforseen events.

Some question about functionality. How does bookmarks work? Can you have more than one bookmark i a book? Can you toggle between or cycle through bookmarks in different books?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, to support as many operating system as possible updating throught the SD card is the best way to go. I also find it more scary to update hardware using a PC since this process is sensitive to power drop out or disconnection of cable and other unforseen events.

Some question about functionality. How does bookmarks work? Can you have more than one bookmark i a book? Can you toggle between or cycle through bookmarks in different books?
Bookmarks? What are these 'bookmarks' of which you speak???

IOW, at this level of firmware one had better be of the attitude of "We don't need no steenkeeng bookmarks!". I suppose that this feature will become available, just that it's not present in version 0.99 firmware.

Derek
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Can you take a book and flip the pages without the flashing and show s how it looks at the end of the book? Does it get worse enough so you want the flashing at some point just to clean the ghosting?
Gosh Durn It!!! Do you know how long it takes to flip through 1,200-1,500 pages?!? Me thumb will be all worn out!!!

Okay, I'll dedicate tomorrow for my Day of the Sore Thumb.

Derek
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Gosh Durn It!!! Do you know how long it takes to flip through 1,200-1,500 pages?!? Me thumb will be all worn out!!!

Okay, I'll dedicate tomorrow for my Day of the Sore Thumb.

Derek
Just set the font to a size that gives you maybe 500-700 pages. That should be fine and you can stop once you see the pages become a bit unreadable.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
It remembers where in the book you were, when you exit the book.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What a bookmark is is a way to mark a page you are currently on. The Sony PRS-500/505 both have that ability. I use it mostly to mark a page that has an error for a book I've converted where I can go and fix it later on.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
What a bookmark is is a way to mark a page you are currently on. The Sony PRS-500/505 both have that ability. I use it mostly to mark a page that has an error for a book I've converted where I can go and fix it later on.
Nothing like stating the obvious.

Yeah, like, you know... I *know* what a bookmark is. I was just being facetious about it. And, no, the Cybook does *NOT* support this feature in v0.99.

Derek
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Mobi reader on the iLiad doesn't support bookmarks either, while we're on the subject .
Old 10-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
The Mobipocket reader remembers the last page for any given book, and since the implementations for Bookeen and iRex must be similar I'd say it's possible already.

However I don't think you can bookmark a specific page other than the last, it's sort of a last known position.

PS: Sorry Harry, I didn't see your post. So last position doesn't count as a bookmark?

Last edited by BKeeper; 10-21-2007 at 02:25 PM.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote