Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Upgrading Itouch to Iphone 7

My flip phone will become mostly unusable at the end of this year as only AT&T will be supporting the 3g format. I use my itouch daily for audiobooks and my flip phone maybe 3 times a month. So, after some discussion, I'm thinking of getting an Iphone 7 instead upgrading with the recently released Itouch. I can switch my current Net10 flip phone service to the Iphone for about $10 more a month. With Windows, I can still load audiobooks on Itunes.

Ok, so my main question is how to purchase. I assume everything out there is used. Should I go through BestBuy? Ebay (this one using squaretrade for warranty)? What things should I know about?

I've the 32 gig Itouch now and that has been enough space for me so far as I supplement with Nanos.

I am not considering an android phone simply because there seem to be a lot of problems with those in my price range. My sis is on her 3rd phone in a year and this one isn't working either (new phones).

I wouldn't even bother with a cell phone except that I shop for bro (disabled and homebound) and Mom (85+ and hates shopping) and there are no pay phones if I need a tow. The ability to call when I can't find someplace is also useful (although I do use a Garmin).

Last edited by Tarana; 09-08-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Actually you can still buy a new iPhone 7 from Apple, or a refurbished one from Apple, and I assume other retailers. Apple has its annual new iPhone event on Tuesday, so that might change what is available going forward. Pretty expensive getting one through Apple though. You might try getting a monthly payment plan through your cellular provider if you have a data plan.

If you get one through a site like eBay beware of warn out batteries. Be sure to ask as many questions from the seller as you can think of. Request that the seller show you the battery condition screen from the iPhone 7. The iPhone 7 Plus had a much better battery, BTW. I went from an iPhone 6 Plus to a 7 and regretted that move as the 7 needed charging every day. The 6 Plus lasted much longer before needing to be charged. But the Plus models are bigger and bulkier to carry, if that makes a difference to you. I was happy to get my XR and have great battery life again.

You might check places like Walmart and Best Buy for deals, especially after Tuesday. Once the latest greatest gets released, or at least announced, the prices on the 7 might come down a bit. If Apple discontinues it, then the prices should drop as retailers try to get rid of new and refurbished stock.

Good luck!

Last edited by OtinG; 09-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
For battery reasons, I wouldn't buy a used iPhone 7 at this point in time. My iPhone 7 that I got on release day (2016) is at ~80% battery health and drains quite quickly even with very light use (I do most stuff on iPad). If I actually used the iPhone 7, I'd likely need to charge it 2-3 times a day.

How much will you be paying for service? Best Buy has $299 Total Wireless and Simple Mobile prepaid kits which is probably best pricing you can get on a brand new iPhone 7 with warranty.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iphone/...ce%20skuidsaas
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'm still very happy with my iPhone 7+. Battery life is great unless I'm playing games. I'd wait for the Apple announcement on the 10th, as the prices of their refurbs will surely drop then. They are selling refurbed iPhone 7 for almost $500 still.

I'd never buy a cellphone off of eBay. I shop eBay for lots of stuff, but not much tech.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed Walmart had an iPhone 6s for sale at $199 on one of their plans. Older, but if new the battery should be okay. The non-Plus models have smaller batteries that were problematic in some cases. I know Apple offered a battery replacement program for some of them a while back, but I think that is no longer an option unless you pay full price for the replacement. So iLoveJedd is right to say avoid the used non-Plus models. I’m not sure how well the Plus models held up, but my 6 Plus still had a good battery after two years when I sold it. My 7 model had only about 90% battery capacity left after two years, and that qualified it for the discounted battery replacement.
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is all very helpful. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Good luck. The iPhone 7 is a nice phone, you'll notice the upgrade from your iTouch
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
iPhone 6 and older won't get the newest version of iOS 13 when it is released. The 6s will, if the article I read is correct. My husband is still using my old 6 with no complaints.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
For battery reasons, I wouldn't buy a used iPhone 7 at this point in time. My iPhone 7 that I got on release day (2016) is at ~80% battery health and drains quite quickly even with very light use (I do most stuff on iPad). If I actually used the iPhone 7, I'd likely need to charge it 2-3 times a day.

How much will you be paying for service? Best Buy has $299 Total Wireless and Simple Mobile prepaid kits which is probably best pricing you can get on a brand new iPhone 7 with warranty.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iphone/...ce%20skuidsaas
It's AT&T plan. Prepay $300 ($25/month) and get unlimited phone/text and 8GB data. I have until Oct 21. Now I'm thinking maybe I should buy an 8 so I can get 64 gb, but no sure that special will stretch to that. I also know nobody who has an iphone 8.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
It's AT&T plan. Prepay $300 ($25/month) and get unlimited phone/text and 8GB data. I have until Oct 21. Now I'm thinking maybe I should buy an 8 so I can get 64 gb, but no sure that special will stretch to that. I also know nobody who has an iphone 8.
As I recall, the iPhone 8 was mostly an incremental update to the iPhone 7. The iPhone 7 should remain upgradable to the latest iOS for a few more years or so. The iPhone 8 will likely be upgradable for at least a year beyond the iPhone 7. Other than that they should be fairly comparable except in memory size configurations. I think you will love either one!
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Every upgrade is incremental. The battery issue is moot if it’s a new phone. The 8 has the same cpu and camera as the iPhone X. Well...if you have the plus version. Both the 7 and 8 have single cameras on the normal and dual on the plus.

I’d buy the 8 over the 7 as it’s one year (at least) longer supported and the price difference over the life of the phone is very small
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote