Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #91
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Sept 10 preorders for Sept 17 release

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
There’s a review video out which is linked in a thread over in the Kobo forum so I’d expect official word soon.
Can't say it's 'official' word but I'm finding articles about a 7" reader priced at $169 US to be released Sept 17.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:04 AM   #92
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Can't say it's 'official' word but I'm finding articles about a 7" reader priced at $169 US to be released Sept 17.
Yeah found a different one myself though both articles have glaring errors in general they do agree on release date and get the key facts right.

I’ll be skipping this device I’m happy with the Forma and this is very clearly not intended to lure current Forma owners into a purchase.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 02:14 AM   #93
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
patent. Just did a google on "apple retina patent" & saw that the patent was officially approved in May, 2019 even tho the retina patent was applied for back in 2017.

Wonder if it will affect my diabetic retina scan I need to do every year.....or people who need to have their retinas digitally photographed prior to cataract surgery.......etc

Obviously not, if it's a patent. Not even if it's a trademark (which it is - "Retina" not "retina"), because trademarks only apply in a limited usage within a clearly defined field.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #94
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Nothing really special. Just a smaller forma....it's awesome that it is still micro USB...it will be fun to hear all the complaints...lol

Last edited by Tony1988; 09-04-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #95
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
The Libre looks really interesting. I bought the new Nook Glowlight 7.8 and I really like it but it is almost too big and it is pretty heavy by e-reader standards. If I even think of buying another device so soon I would get a big eye roll from DH. I guess there will always be something tempting on the horizon.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #96
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
https://gl.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-libra-h2o
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #97
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Oooh! Tempting.

Very tempting.

But I think I can wait for Black Friday.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #98
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Interesting, yes. But the text sure does look washed out in the photos and even on Kobo's own video.

I'm sure that is NOT the case, but more attention should have been given on the promotional images.

That's my opinion.*

* =I own Kindles and Kobos, and I like both.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #99
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I just bought a phone. it's made by Motorola, and doesn't have USB-C. It replaced a Samsung phone, which also didn't have USB-C.
y
Big mistake. I can understand buying an ereader with micro USB as it only needs charging once every two weeks, but buying a new smartphone with micro? Crazy. That's like buying a betamax the same day they come crashing down. We've finally entered the period where even the budget phones are starting to come with USB-C. My current phone actually is micro USB but when I do end up getting a new phone some day, USB-C will be a must have. No more fumbling in the dark trying to figure out which way it goes in. Not with the phone, anyways.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #100
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
No more fumbling in the dark trying to figure out which way it goes in.
You don't need a USB-C cable for that. You can get reversible micro-USB cables. In fact the Kobo Forma comes with one of these cables in the box. You never know, maybe this new Libra H2O will also have one.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:24 AM   #101
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Only thing I can fault Kobo for is that they are confirming the horrible design that Amazon came up with with their Oasis... now they'll probably never let go of it
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Only thing I can fault Kobo for is that they are confirming the horrible design that Amazon came up with with their Oasis... now they'll probably never let go of it
Considering both Amazon and Kobo have had enough success that they've each now released two separate devices with the 'buttons on one side' design, it can't be too horrible.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #103
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
y
Big mistake. I can understand buying an ereader with micro USB as it only needs charging once every two weeks, but buying a new smartphone with micro? Crazy. ...
I think you're being a bit over-dramatic here. When (if) I buy a new smartphone there's a good chance it will have the microUSB port, not a USB-C one. The reason... almost all low-end and middle range smartphones still use microUSB (five years after USB-C was introduced). And there's no way I'm paying $500 to $1000 for a phone. I wouldn't not buy a smartphone because it had a USB-C port, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to find one just because it had USB-C. The feature is not that important to me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, I am glad Kobo did not go with a USB-C port. Most people have microUSB cables and they are cheaper to buy should you need one. I have a number of microUSB cables and only 2 USB-C cables one being really short.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #105
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I am glad Kobo did not go with a USB-C port. Most people have microUSB cables and they are cheaper to buy should you need one. I have a number of microUSB cables and only 2 USB-C cables one being really short.
Yep. I can see why those who are mostly using USB-C cables would want their new eReaders to have them — but, for me, another type of cable would be a pain. I've still have some eReaders that need miniUSB cables, and I'll usually have to search for one of these when I need to charge one of these (though I have several). For me (personally) the "standard" is microUSB.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote