Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 06:09 AM   #16
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
IMHO , I think Libra will be :

Screen : Carta E-Ink "6,8" mobius & ComfortLight, 16Gb stock, Waterprof@IPX8, memory 512@RAM + CPU Mark 7 and * Micro USB.
Price :199$

micro USB vs USB-C
- Why are there so many negative contributions on the Internet that some readers use micro USB and not USB-C?

- Where does this new need for some people come from that has an eReader [USB-C] port?

Except it is more convenient to use one cable for both phone and reader, why not, I understand. But overall?
What do these people need a USB-C port for?. To transfer data, ie "10 books", no one needs a data transfer rate of 10 Gbit/s

In short, some of the contributions people write from "a new reader that doesn't have a USB-C is a disaster" seem to me exaggerated. For God's sake, eReader is not a tablet with a 5000mAh battery.
* I don't know about you, but I recharge my eInk once a month and I don't really need USB-C.

- With "Libra H20" will have a "micro_USB", personally I do not see the problem.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-25-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Michal Jancik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
IMHO , I think Libra will be :

Screen : Carta E-Ink "6,8" mobius & ComfortLight, 16Gb stock, Waterprof@IPX8, memory 512@RAM + CPU Mark 7 and * Micro USB.
Price :199$

micro USB vs USB-C
- Why are there so many negative contributions on the Internet that some readers use micro USB and not USB-C?

- Where does this new need for some people come from that has an eReader [USB-C] port?

Except it is more convenient to use one cable for both phone and reader, why not, I understand. But overall?
What do these people need a USB-C port for?. To transfer data, ie "10 books", no one needs a data transfer rate of 10 Gbit/s

In short, some of the contributions people write from "a new reader that doesn't have a USB-C is a disaster" seem to me exaggerated. For God's sake, eReader is not a tablet with a 5000mAh battery.
* I don't know about you, but I recharge my eInk once a month and I don't really need USB-C.

- With "Libra H20" will have a "micro_USB", personally I do not see the problem.
I think it's been stated it's only gonna be 8gb. As for usb-c. I think it's better for quick charge. I can understand why people want that and a bigger battery. Because if those are not updated there really is no reason to get it....what else besides color would be an upgrade???

Last edited by Tony1988; 08-25-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I think it's been started it's only gonna be 8gb. As for usb-c. I think it's better for quick charge. I can understand why people want that and a bigger battery. Because if those are not updated there really is no reason to get it....what else besides color would be an upgrade???
Plastic substrate would be good for durability.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #19
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm crossing my fingers for a flexible substrate.

(Is "Libra" a well-known tampon brand elsewhere, or just here?)
No 'Libra' on the feminine hygiene shelves here . I'm hoping Libra refers to the Zodiac sign and we'll have this in hand next month.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
micro USB vs USB-C

Why is that not enough of a reason? Using the same cord for your phone and reader is a good thing, especially if you travel. And faster charging doesn't hurt.

What is your argument against using USB-C?

Quote:
In short, some of the contributions people write from "a new reader that doesn't have a USB-C is a disaster" seem to me exaggerated.
90% of the headlines on the internet are exaggerated. Everything is a disaster. Fans are freaking out. This one stupid trick will change your life.

But I do think the new reader should use USB-C. I don't think it will. But it should.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #21
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
micro USB vs USB-C

My current phone charges with the standard USB-C that I share with the Kindle Paperwhites, fire, and my MP3 player. I love when they all charge together -- my old phone used the micro cord (yuck), so I definitely don't want the Micro. I hated using micro with the previous phone but the standard with everything else I own. I see everyone wanting the micro, but I'm always like?? My electronics are apparently all behind the times.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
My current phone charges with the standard USB-C that I share with the Kindle Paperwhites, fire, and my MP3 player. I love when they all charge together -- my old phone used the micro cord (yuck), so I definitely don't want the Micro. I hated using micro with the previous phone but the standard with everything else I own. I see everyone wanting the micro, but I'm always like?? My electronics are apparently all behind the times.
Where did you get a Paperwhite and Fire that use USB C? As far as I know, all Kindles use micro USB, as do the Fires.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I suspect you have that backwards.

The one on the left is micro USB. It has been the standard for years. As far as I know, all Kindles and Fire tablets use it.

The one on the right is the newer USB C. It is an oval shape that can be plugged in without worrying which end is up. So far, no Kindle, Kobo or Nook has used it. But other electronics are rapidly adopting it as the new standard.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #24
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The Forma uses micro usb but the cable that comes with it can be plugged in whichever way I believe. It still accepts standard micro USB cables as well. Maybe the newer Kindles do the same in which case I can understand the confusion.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #25
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

- Nothing. I have nothing against [USB-C].
" I don't buy eReader just because it doesn't have a USB-C port "= an abbreviation of total crap from unripe babies - "Commercial Bulshit".

- I just find the commentary fake (exaggerated) like "For God sake ! If it doesn't have [USB-C] then I don't want it", as if it were something as important with a device as eReader..
* USB-C is definitely a benefit advantage. But a certain not necessity.

For those "more sensitive", there are adapters "microUSB to USB-C": (set of 4) or Powerline 3-in-1,

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-26-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
- Nothing. I have nothing against USB-C.
" I don't buy eReader just because it doesn't have a USB-C port "= is just bullshit of the greedy.

- I just find the commentary fake (exaggerated) like "For God sake ! If it doesn't have USB-C then I don't want it", as if it were something as important with a device as eReader..
* USB-C is definitely a benefit advantage. But a certain not necessity.
I agree. Some nuts gave the new Kindle Oasis one star because it didn't have it....lol....it's not a necessity.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Why is that not enough of a reason? Using the same cord for your phone and reader is a good thing, especially if you travel. And faster charging doesn't hurt.

I too want to use the same cable on my phone and ereader. That's why I hope they won't change the connector.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
- Nothing. I have nothing against [USB-C].
" I don't buy eReader just because it doesn't have a USB-C port "= an abbreviation of total crap from unripe babies - "Commercial Bulshit".

- I just find the commentary fake (exaggerated) like "For God sake ! If it doesn't have [USB-C] then I don't want it", as if it were something as important with a device as eReader..
People online hyperventilating about unimportant issues surprises you? Is today your first day on the internet?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-26-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I too want to use the same cable on my phone and ereader. That's why I hope they won't change the connector.
One day you'll have a phone that was made in the twenty-first century and it'll use USB C.

Honestly, I don't care whether it's micro USB or USB C. I charge my reader before I go on vacation so taking an extra cord hasn't really been an issue. But sticking with micro makes what to many is outdated technology seem even more out of touch.

And there are real benefits to USB C. They're easier to plug-in, since there's no 'upside down' so people can worry less about breaking the USB ports. And USB C can charge faster.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #30
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
People online hyperventilating about unimportant issues surprises you? Is today your first day on the internet?
I have been on the Internet for so long that I know that the Internet is the way people made it... or rather what she had made of him.
Quote:
Honestly, I don't care whether it's micro USB or USB C. I charge my reader before I go on vacation so taking an extra cord hasn't really been an issue.
I think we agree here

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-26-2019 at 06:40 PM.