Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 01:13 AM   #1
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Is "unputdownable" really a word?

Am I the only one who finds the use of the word "unputdownable" in book descriptions (sooooo many of them) a little irritating? I mean, I suppose it *could* be considered a word - but tell that to my computer's spell-check...

Not only is it an awkward word in itself, it feels lazy. I am almost guaranteed to turn away from a potential purchase when they use that word in the Kindle store. If they can't come up with a better description than that, it seems to be the indicator of a throwaway book...

Or am I wrong? Maybe others have had differing experiences. I look forward to hearing some discussion on this.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
YES!

unputdownable.

[ˌənˌpo͝otˈdounəbəl]

ADJECTIVE

informal

(of a book) so engrossing that one cannot stop reading it.

"“this book is unputdownable!” screech the publicists"

https://www.bing.com/search?q=unputd...5e048106c55f3b
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Yes... I should re-phrase to simply say I find it to be one of the more annoying words on book descriptions. According to a large percentage of Kindle books, they are all unputdownable! The use of some different descriptive words now and then would be useful.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Been in use a long time, so it's a word all right. Spellcheck is no authority. There's a vast number of words that spellcheck has never heard of. I find this all the time preparing WP files of old books.

It's usually the wrong word; I can't remember the last touted "unputdownable" book that I couldn't put down. It's essentially hyperbole word with little meaning.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:26 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Am I the only one who finds the use of the word "unputdownable" in book descriptions (sooooo many of them) a little irritating? I mean, I suppose it *could* be considered a word - but tell that to my computer's spell-check...

Not only is it an awkward word in itself, it feels lazy. I am almost guaranteed to turn away from a potential purchase when they use that word in the Kindle store. If they can't come up with a better description than that, it seems to be the indicator of a throwaway book...

Or am I wrong? Maybe others have had differing experiences. I look forward to hearing some discussion on this.
According to Merriam-Webster and Oxford, it's a word and it's been around since 1935. As for spellcheck? Get a spellchecker with a larger dictionary? And perhaps one that is aware of the many spelling variants in various English speaking country. Doh!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Or add it to your spellchecker.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
The OED has 1839 as the first appearance in print although that use was not in respect to books. The first use of unputdownable as a description of an engrossing read was in 1935, as DNSB mentions above. It was used in an advertisement in the New York Times for a book titled Memory of Love, which the ad described as "unusually ‘un-put-down-able’." The hyphens come and go in various usages.

My opinion is that it's a clunky word, but useful in that it conveys a sense of how riveting a book might be to a reader in one word instead of a bunch. If I were writing a review, I would probably find another way of describing my enjoyment, but it doesn't put me off to encounter it.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Words like unputdownable embiggen the English language. I find it a perfectly cromulent word.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I (fortunately) have never seen the word before. I guess I don't read a lot of reviews. One time is enough for me though. It does sound lazy and it is irritating. Of course I still don't like "read" used as noun. As in, "it was a good read." Why don't they take the next step and use "it was a good watch" for movies?

I'm feeling grumpy today.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
We're so lucky that we're being gifted with all these new words and derivations.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Words like unputdownable embiggen the English language. I find it a perfectly cromulent word.
I see what you did there.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
If I was a Brit I would probably say Americans are butchering the English language but then again I am American. One thing that annoys me is that Americans say math instead of maths. It is supposed to be maths because within the last 2 centuries or at least the last century maths has expanded to cover like at least 70-90 different sub-disciplines.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I see what you did there.
I'm glad somebody did!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm glad somebody did!
I assumed everybody did.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
If I was a Brit I would probably say Americans are butchering the English language but then again I am American. One thing that annoys me is that Americans say math instead of maths. It is supposed to be maths because within the last 2 centuries or at least the last century maths has expanded to cover like at least 70-90 different sub-disciplines.
Based on your interpretation we could not use the word disease. We would have to use the word diseases because there are more than one.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote