Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The problem for me is that as I've grown older, I find Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) was all too correct when he wrote: “The test of any good fiction is that you should care something for the characters; the good to succeed, the bad to fail. The trouble with most fiction is that you want them all to land in hell together, as quickly as possible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:29 AM   #47
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The problem for me is that as I've grown older, I find Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) was all too correct when he wrote: “The test of any good fiction is that you should care something for the characters; the good to succeed, the bad to fail. The trouble with most fiction is that you want them all to land in hell together, as quickly as possible.
Exactly.

What bugs me is that I can tell when the author is doing a good job with it but I'll be damned if I can tell how they do it/what they're doing to succeed at it.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #48
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry, not sorry, for this segue....but your thoughts brought this to mind. "The Boys" on Prime Video....I can't stand ANY of the characters. Who makes a super hero show where ALL the superheroes are terrible people. Well, one isn't. But still....ugh!
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #49
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Yep, the world is in a weird situation right now.

Lots of terrible stuff going on, and that is echoed in our entertainment.

Seems the idea of being entertained to feel happy, has to a large degree disappeared in many quarters, which is one of the reasons I like reading Alexander McCall Smith now and then, to break things up. Bad things still happen in his books, but he focuses more on the good in people ... and he is often good naturedly funny.

But what can I say, I also choose to read C.J. Box and Val McDermid and some others, who regularly have terrible things happening in their fiction. What a junkie I am.

Seems to me we are turning into a world of voyeurs, and on the face of it, that does not seem good, does not promise a nice and peaceful enlightened future.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #50
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I love terrible things in my entertainment. Fighting, violence, betrayal, crime, terrorism...you name it. There just has to be a good guy or gal, hope redemption, purpose.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to finish watch I or not
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The future has always looked bleak to many based on current trends--since time began. And yet here we are... plugging along, finding diamonds in the rough.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To read more books, get off Mobileread. Turn off the TV. Get off social media. get a flip phone. And go read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #53
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be sure, things happen in cycles.

Just depends on whether you are one of the lucky ones ... just ask the Romans ... and those who lived in Atlantis, and all those who have suffered genocide, slavery or terrible natural disasters.

Who knows, we may even be next.

So its not like bad things have always been happening, but don't worry they are all far away, never gonna impact us. So no cause for concern.

Everything has a development trajectory. The trick is recognizing the signs, and maybe being able to do something about it.

EDIT
Some concerns belong to a period of time, and get echoed every generation ... others are ongoing ... no doubt building to a climax.

Last edited by Timboli; 07-29-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #54
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To read more books, get off Mobileread. Turn off the TV. Get off social media. get a flip phone. And go read.
If you followed your own advice, you would not be here saying that.

Ha ha ha ha ha.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #55
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post

Ha ha ha ha ha.
Maybe he is OK with the amount of reading he is doing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #56
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Maybe he is OK with the amount of reading he is doing.
I seriously doubt that.

Wouldn't we all like to fit in more ... if we could, if it was feasible in the grand scheme of things ... before we pass out or pass on?

P.S. A suggestion of reading by Flip phone. Surely that is the act of a desperate person ... ha ha ha ha.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
P.S. A suggestion of reading by Flip phone. Surely that is the act of a desperate person ... ha ha ha ha.
You misunderstood him, so you can hold the laughter.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:50 AM   #58
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You misunderstood him, so you can hold the laughter.
LOL. You think so.

If the shoe fits ....

P.S. It's not me that has done the misunderstanding my dear.

Last edited by Timboli; 07-31-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Ha ha ha ha ha.
Oh and get rid of the game console as well.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:25 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The flip phone is not to read with. It's so you can have a mobile phone without all the distractions of a smart phone and still have a phone in case you need to make an actual phone call.

And also, no reading on a tablet. You need to read either a pBook, or an eBook using a Reader. a tablet is also a distraction.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-31-2019 at 06:27 AM.