Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #736
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
^ Crystal Lake Publishing often has a lot of things on sale and other kinds of projects gong on involving special deals..

If this is your kind of thing, I recommend getting on their mailing list, as I have done.*

* = I have no affiliation whatsoever with this publisher.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #737
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon is $1.99 at Amazon US.

A classic of horror. A quiet slow-burn horror novel where a couple moves to a nice small town, but things just don't seem quite right.

I'll admit, I read the novel and liked it, but didn't love it.

Quote:
After watching his asthmatic daughter suffer in the foul city air, Theodore Constantine decides to get back to the land. When he and his wife search New England for the perfect nineteenth-century home, they find no township more charming, no countryside more idyllic than the farming village of Cornwall Coombe. Here they begin a new life: simple, pure, close to nature—and ultimately more terrifying than Manhattan’s darkest alley.

When the Constantines win the friendship of the town matriarch, the mysterious Widow Fortune, they are invited to join the ancient festival of Harvest Home, a ceremony whose quaintness disguises dark intentions. In this bucolic hamlet, where bootleggers work by moonlight and all of the villagers seem to share the same last name, the past is more present than outsiders can fathom—and something far more sinister than the annual harvest is about to rise out of the earth.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #738
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love Thomas Tyron's writing and I especially loved - although not a horror novel - his "Lady".
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #739
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I love Thomas Tyron's writing and I especially loved - although not a horror novel - his "Lady".
Have you read T.E.D. Klein? The Ceremonies reminded me a bit of Harvest Home and if you liked one, you'd probably like the other (no e-books for T.E.D. Klein, but there's at least an audio book of The Ceremonies).

As for Thomas Tryon, I have several of his books, e and paper. But so far I've only read Harvest Home.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #740
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you read T.E.D. Klein? The Ceremonies reminded me a bit of Harvest Home and if you liked one, you'd probably like the other (no e-books for T.E.D. Klein, but there's at least an audio book of The Ceremonies).

As for Thomas Tryon, I have several of his books, e and paper. But so far I've only read Harvest Home.

I have his first two (and only) books in First Edition hardback.

You're right: There are no 'legitimate' ebooks available.

I LOVE his writing!
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #741
BetterRead
Zealot
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have read The Other multiple times. (I even own a First Edition.) It's one of my favorite novels of any genre.

Back on topic:

The Rib From Which I Remake the World by Ed Kurtz is on sale at Amazon and B&N for $2.99. (Great title.)

Quote:
In a small, rural Arkansas town in the midst of World War II, hotel house detective George “Jojo” Walker wearily maintains the status quo in the wake of personal devastation. That status quo is disrupted when a “hygiene picture” roadshow rolls into town with a controversial program on display and curious motives in mind.

What begins with a gruesome and impossible murder soon spirals into hallucinatory waking nightmares for Jojo—nightmares that converge with his reality and dredge up his painful, secret past. Black magic and a terrifying Luciferian carnival boil up to a surreal finale for the town of Litchfield, when truth itself unfurls and Jojo Walker is forced to face his own identity in ways he could never have expected.
This has been on my wishlist for a while, awaiting a price drop. I must have read a really good review or recommendation for it.
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #742
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^ The Ed Kurtz title sounds wonderful, so I bought it!

Thank you!
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #743
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
The Rib From Which I Remake the World by Ed Kurtz is on sale at Amazon and B&N for $2.99. (Great title.)
Back to $8.69

Could a rural Arkansas hotel have a hotel detective?
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #744
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ The Ed Kurtz title sounds wonderful, so I bought it!
His book The Forty-Two sounds right up my alley as well. I set an ereaderiq alert for a price drop on any of his books.