Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@poire-z is going to be away for a few days, but he mentioned that'll he'll be looking into it when he gets back .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
I've aborted it after unsuccessful 35 minutes, by restarting Kobo.

Last edited by Marinolino; 07-23-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, if it takes 10 minutes on a souped up Skylake, I really really don't encourage anyone to try on a measly i.MX6 ;p.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #19
SbAgOoTs
SbAgOoTs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@poire-z is going to be away for a few days, but he mentioned that'll he'll be looking into it when he gets back .
OK, thanks.
I hope my warning helps to improve KOReader even more, making it able to open any epub...
SbAgOoTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #20
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
And it's hardly like my Haswell i7-4790 is a slowpoke either. Most of the discrepancy between my numbers and @NiLuJe's should be because I was using a debug build. If I'm not mistaken mine should be some 10-20% slower at most, possibly slightly higher under specific workloads.

I'd give it an absolute minimum of 100 minutes on an actual H2O/One given the numbers we posted, more likely easily twice that. (And if you run into heat-based throttling… who knows.) Hardly worth attempting unless you really want to verify whether it'll run out of memory along the way.

Code:
$ inxi
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-4790 (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 1038/800/4000 MHz Kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64 Up: 1h 48m 
Mem: 5603.5/32112.8 MiB (17.4%) Storage: 3.87 TiB (54.4% used) Procs: 295 Shell: bash 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.32

Last edited by Frenzie; 07-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:26 AM   #21
SbAgOoTs

Quote:
Any news?
With August version the result is the same unfortunately...
Old 09-27-2019, 02:52 AM   #22
SbAgOoTs

Quote:
No good news from September release either...
Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #23
SbAgOoTs

Quote:
No luck with November release either...
Why (talking about Android) apps like Moon+Reader or ReadEra can do it very easily and my beloved Koreader can't?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@SbAgOoTs: Chunked decoding vs. full papyrus scroll approach .

The downside being a large upfront cost, with the upside being a much smaller performance impact at runtime, as long as no layout changes are requested.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:03 AM   #25
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbAgOoTs View Post
Why (talking about Android) apps like Moon+Reader or ReadEra can do it very easily and my beloved Koreader can't?
ReadEra uses crengine to render epubs. Are you sure it can open some large epub that Koreader can't or you are talking about other format?
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #26
SbAgOoTs

Yes, even if the first run needs some minutes, ReadEra succeded in opening exactly the same test epub, whereas Moon+Reader is close to be immediate.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #27
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't call anything exceeding five seconds or so very easily, but that aside.

Are you talking about KOReader on the same device as ReadEra?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #28
SbAgOoTs

You are totally right. My bad choice of words.
Anyway, yes: same file, same device.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #29
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbAgOoTs View Post
I've checked this file. It has about 4000 xhtml files, they are rather small, most are less 10Kb but they include default.css which is about 126Kb with lots of rules like this:
Code:
html,body,div,span,applet,object,iframe,h1,.st,h2,.ss,h3,h4,h5,h6,p,.sb,blockquote,pre,a,abbr,acronym,address,big,cite,code,del,dfn,em,img,ins,kbd,q,s,samp,small,strike,strong,sub,sup,tt,var,b,u,i,center,dt,dd,li,fieldset,form,label,legend,table,caption,tbody,tfoot,thead,tr,th,td,article,aside,canvas,details,embed,figure,figcaption,footer,header,hgroup,menu,nav,output,ruby,section,summary,time,mark,audio,video{text-indent:0;margin:0;padding:0;border:0}
I think disabling internal styles should greatly improve loading speed.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #30
Frenzie
Wizard

It also includes rules like this:
Code:
div.east_right{width:40% !important;clear:both;float:right;margin-top:0em;margin-bottom:1em;display:inline-block}
That's important because KOReader supports floats, while other CREngine implementations don't yet afaik.

Besides that KOReader defaults to proper kerning, which is slower, it implements RTL, which may be relevant if there's Hebrew in the document, and it more correctly CSS selectors with + (I'm not sure if that makes it any slower otoh but there are an awful lot of + selectors in there which isn't exactly recommended for document performance).

On a stress test like this, it could unearth some logical flaw in the support for an extra CSS selector.

Anyway, as stated disabling various features would greatly improve the speed. Font kerning possibly good, but definitely not best. Render mode, probably best to go with legacy or flat. And indeed one might consider turning off embedded styles completely. (Basically either make those the default by long pressing or pre-make an SDR.)

I forget, was that file ever reduced to a test case?