Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #31
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My experience matches most others, my high-resolution iPad is not as easy on my eyes as Pearl-generation E-ink readers. Exact reason? Not sure. Probably contrast or edge definition.

I can read my paperwhite all day long (and have on long flights) with very minor eye strain.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Have you read on a Nexus 7? I would agree with the above for previous LCD devices, but not for the new Nexus. It came as a complete surprise to me, which is why I ask.
Nope. Only on laptop/netbook computer screen and of course my desktop.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
My main problem with reading on my phone or my tablet is that I am too distracted by checking Facebook, checking email, and basic web-surfing. I get very little reading done. It is great for a short story and my 10'' Tablet is the only thing for an electronic graphic novel but, for a novel, a dedicated eReader is the best bet for eReading.
I always wonder why people list this as a reason for an eink reader. You can access the web on an ereader and certainly pick up your tablet or phone quickly while you are on your ereader and get distracted by the web.

I think the most valid reason to have an ereader over a tablet is the battery life. This is the one I use anyways when people ask.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
In term of pixel density, the new Nexus 7 wins hands down. The nexus has 323 ppi, Kobo Aura HD has 265ppi and Kindle Paperwhite I and II have 212 ppi.

However, I would prefer to read using a dedicated eink reader with front light. A front light device like Paperwhite or Aura HD do not shine light to your eyes. Instead it shines light to the device first and then reflect the light to your eyes. A back light LCD like Nexus 7 and all other tablet computers shine light directly to your eyes. Giving you an eyestrain for a long time reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I agree with Julius C: I much prefer my Paperwhite screen and lighting to my iPad and Nexus, because tablets give me eye strain when in complete darkness ( that's how I like to read at night) and when they are close to my face.
Correction: it gives you and some others eye strain, for the rest of us we have no problem reading off of tablets and other backlit machines. Although I have no doubt that I would probably get eye strain trying to read in the dark. Our eyes are NOT meant to do that!

What's more if anyone works in an office setting with a pc has no choice but to use a back lit monitor. If you are fine with that I don't see why you would all of a sudden have a problem with a tablet.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Speaking with my physicist's hat on, this is nonsensical. Your eyes don't "know" if a photon has travelled directly to them, or been reflected from a screen first. If you get eyestrain from an LCD screen it simply means that you have the backlight turned up too high. Turn the brightness down.
I agree Most people that complain about LCD have the backlight way too high!! BUT I need to know is the Backlight adjustable on the new ink ereaders??
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I agree Most people that complain about LCD have the backlight way too high!! BUT I need to know is the Backlight adjustable on the new ink ereaders??
It's a frontlight, and yes all the various brands that have them are adjustable.

For Android tablet users if you need lower brightness check out the ScreenDim app.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #37
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's a frontlight, and yes all the various brands that have them are adjustable.

For Android tablet users if you need lower brightness check out the ScreenDim app.
There's a good one for the Nexus, and the Ipads are able to be dimmed. I think most reading apps have the ability built into the reading app now so people don't have to go outside the program to change the light intensity.

Didn't make any difference to me. By the time I'd get them low enough that the light didn't bother me they'd be too dark to read.

And I've tried all the day/night settings, with different colored backgrounds and font colors. No difference in most, and some make the problem worse.

I wouldn't assume that most people haven't thought of trying the various color/light options and dimmer choices. For some of us, they just don't help. Eink screens, on the other hand, are comfortable for me, and I can read hours on them and not notice any eye strain.

There's just no comparison.
DuskyRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
There's a good one for the Nexus, and the Ipads are able to be dimmed. I think most reading apps have the ability built into the reading app now so people don't have to go outside the program to change the light intensity.
Right, but ScreenDim dims things below the devices normal lowest brightness setting is what I meant.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Correction: it gives you and some others eye strain, for the rest of us we have no problem reading off of tablets and other backlit machines. Although I have no doubt that I would probably get eye strain trying to read in the dark. Our eyes are NOT meant to do that!
That's what I said: reading in complete darkness on a tablet gives me eye strain, which is not the case with my PW.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #40
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Thanks Brian! Do to recently dropping my K3 2x on the cement floor and breaking the case ...still works tho LOL I thinking of a new lighted kindle for me for Christmas hehehe I read on my Fire sitting up but use the K3 in bed at night. On the Fire I can also adjust it to the Tan background... helps eye strain IMO
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
What's more if anyone works in an office setting with a pc has no choice but to use a back lit monitor. If you are fine with that I don't see why you would all of a sudden have a problem with a tablet.
Of course it is personal, and everybody has to see what works for them. But polls here on Mobileread have shown a preference for reading on e-ink over reading on tablets by more than 2:1 each time.

Can't compare reading on the office monitor with reading on a tablet, at least in my case. I hold a tablet or ereader close to my face.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-06-2013 at 04:55 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #42
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Must be the backlight that flickers. The actual display certainly doesn't.
Indeed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Contrary to popular belief, modern LCD monitors are not flicker free, since most of them use pulse-width modulation (PWM) for brightness control. As the brightness setting is lowered, the flicker becomes more noticeable, since the period when the backlight is active in each PWM duty cycle shortens. The problem is much more pronounced on modern LED backlit monitors, because LED backlight reacts faster to changes in current. Many users have reported headaches, eye strain, nausea, and other problems.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #43
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I wonder why they haven't solved the problem of flicker with front/backlights. If I recall correctly, the intensity of an LED is related to the current passing through it. A simple approach involves using a potentiometer, which I understand isn't popular because it isn't software controlled. (Again if I recall correctly,) transistors can use voltage to control current as well, so it should be easy to design a software controlled way to control the intensity of a backlight using transistors.

Is there something that I'm missing?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I wonder why they haven't solved the problem of flicker with front/backlights. If I recall correctly, the intensity of an LED is related to the current passing through it. A simple approach involves using a potentiometer, which I understand isn't popular because it isn't software controlled. (Again if I recall correctly,) transistors can use voltage to control current as well, so it should be easy to design a software controlled way to control the intensity of a backlight using transistors.

Is there something that I'm missing?
Probably because it requires extra hardware, whereas PWM is usually already implemented on the SOC (system on a chip). There are "Digital Potentiometers" available that would work (most home stereo systems that have remote volume control but no motorized volume knob use them).

Some systems do use this approach. I'm almost 100% sure my Galaxy Note 8.0 does (pointed a video camera at it, and adjusted the brightness - never caught any flicker). My Galaxy Note phone with it's OLED screen is a different story. Samsung seem to dim their OLED screens by adjusting the refresh rate.

The only time flicker ever bothered me was back in the days of the 60Hz CRTS. I can happily read on pretty much any LCD and have been since the Palm Pilot. Other people don't seem to be so lucky.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #45
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I just purchased the new Nexus 7 and the high pixel density makes text very crisp and clear. I actually find the text clearer and easier to read on the Nexus as opposed to the Sony PRS-350 that I previously owned.

However, I wonder how tablets with high pixel density stack up against some of the newer lighted e-reader like the Aura HD and the new Paperwhite. Which one is better for reading in bed in the dark. Which provides an overall better reading experience?
I believe it is all about priorities. If constant recharging is of no bother to you and you don't mind the screen glare of tablets definitely go for a Tablet. You would especially like it if you are a coffee table book reader or your content is mainly related to magazines. However if long form reading is what matters, and you are conscious about screen glare, then by all means go for an e-reader.
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote