Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2024, 02:38 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Copying Annotations

I have a purchased ebook that I sideloaded onto my LC. I also sideloaded it onto my Elipsa. I want to copy my annotations from one device to another.

Where does Kobo store annotations for sideloaded books? I'm hoping all I have to do is copy that file from the LC to the Elipsa, but maybe it's more complicated than that? I know that there is the .kobo/markups folder with the cryptically named .jpg and .svg files, but They're just graphic files for the hand drawn annotations. Something else must point them to the proper location. I can rewrite those annotations if I have to, but I'd like to avoid starting from scratch with the highlights and notes.

Please save me from reinventing the wheel. Is there a tool out there that will make this easy? Thanks.

(Sure wish we had sideloaded book syncing like the Tolino crew.)

Last edited by Cootey; 05-10-2024 at 02:41 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:58 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think in the database?
Easily exported (3 or 4 methods), but not simple to import.

Actual notebooks of either kind are in .nebo files and can be copied between Sage & Elipsa, or imported to Android / iOS / Windows Nebo, but not vice versa. If the LC is having colour in the notebooks they may not work on Sage or Elipsa, but will likely import to Android / iOS / Windows Nebo.

I imported all my notebooks on Sage and Elipsa to Nebo on the TCL Nxtpaper 11, which is far better for notes.

I've no interest in sync of annotations. I only import as text files via Kobo Utilities and Clipboard. You can use Kobo Utilities to read then write bookmarks and reading positions / status between identical ebook files on different Kobos. I don't know if it does annotations & highlights too. Probably not.

I never used pen to annotate epubs as that's pointless. No export possible, unlike Nebo markup of imported PDFs on Android / iOS / Windows Nebo.

The Kobo version of Nebo is too cut down due to eink. No real time conversion preview.

I've Android eink too and my conclusion is that eink is best for reading novels and only short typed notes to be exported with big highlights are any use.

I'll stick to big highlights, short touch key notes and reading on eink. It's just too poor at anything else. The Nxtpaper 11 and my add-on portable 16″ 2560 x 1440 matt IPS screen are nearly as good as eink. Especially the Nxtpaper 11 (incremented 2.0 version of NxtPaper. TCL actually make screens).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2024, 09:29 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think in the database?
Easily exported (3 or 4 methods), but not simple to import.
Thank you. This is the part that interests me. I can rewrite any pen annotations on the other copy of the book, as stated above, but I’m anxious to export highlights and notes instead of recreating them one annotation at a time.

I found a script somebody created that would export annotations into markdown text, but I couldn’t see a way to import the annotations.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote