Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-15-2022, 08:11 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The previous model (7.8'' Nook Glowlight) didn't have partitioned storage. The one before it (Glowlight 3) had initially.
To be fair, I think that's what he meant when he said "there was enough outcry that B&N removed the memory partitioning..."

I wouldn't be shocked to see the same happen with the 4.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:11 PM   #47
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem as I see it is that when the previous model was released, there was enough outcry that B&N removed the memory partitioning. You would thing B&N would have learned that enough customers don't want partitioned memory.

However, I think the days of the 6" screen are not long and not enough people who care about partitioned memory are going to by the GL4.
It went back to at least 2011's Simple Touch. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
2 GB internal (1 GB for content, of which 750 MB is reserved for B&N content), microSD expands up to 64 GB
I had one, but this was before I had Calibre so my library didn't exceed 1.25 GB. I wonder what I would have thought when I hit the eventually memory error, checked it with Windows and saw lots of space left
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
I had one, but this was before I had Calibre so my library didn't exceed 1.25 GB. I wonder what I would have thought when I hit the eventually memory error, checked it with Windows and saw lots of space left
I have a 2015 Glowlight Plus that has no partitioning, but I have used up the 2.5GB-ish memory.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think 6" screens are going to be with us for a while yet. More portable.
The 7" Kobo Libra 2 is very portable. The 6" nook GL4 and Clara HD are not much different then the Libra 2.

Libra 2: 5.7 by 6.4 by 0.3 inches
nook GL4: 4.75 x 6.2 x .2 inches
Clara HD: 6.6 by 4.3 by 0.3 inches

I do agree that the 6" screen size will be with us for a while. But I think sales of the 6" screen will drop as larger screens sell more.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-16-2022 at 07:56 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:14 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The 7" Kobo Libra 2 is very portable. The 6" nook GL4 and Clara HD are not much different then the Libra 2.

Libra 2: 5.7 by 6.4 by 0.3 inches
nook GL4: 4.75 x 6.2 x .2 inches
Clara HD: 6.6 by 4.3 by 0.3 inches

I do agree that the 6" screen size will be with us for a while. But I think sales of the 6" screen will drop as larger screens sell more.
It's the width that makes the difference on whether it will fit in your pocket, or not. The Libra 2 is over 2" wider than than the Clara (almost a third again wider) and about 1.5" wider than the GL4. Essentially the Libra 2 is a square, it would be like taking the Clara and trying to stuff it into your jacket pocket sideways. It won't work. The width of the new 6.8" Paperwhite would be better for portability, with its 4.9" width vs the Libra 2's 6.4". Basically the same size and shape as Kobo's older 6.8" readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:06 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's the width that makes the difference on whether it will fit in your pocket, or not. The Libra 2 is over 2" wider than than the Clara (almost a third again wider) and about 1.5" wider than the GL4. Essentially the Libra 2 is a square, it would be like taking the Clara and trying to stuff it into your jacket pocket sideways. It won't work. The width of the new 6.8" Paperwhite would be better for portability, with its 4.9" width vs the Libra 2's 6.4". Basically the same size and shape as Kobo's older 6.8" readers.
The Libra 2 is .2" wider then the GL4.

As for portable, the Libra 2 with Kobo case fits in my coat pocket no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:18 AM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

5.7" - 4.75" <> 0.2"
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:21 PM   #53
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Well, I'm waiting for BN to start popping up a message like "you did not buy this book from BN, you must have a pirated copy of it, so we are reporting you to the Copyright Police ...."

This is why I stilll have hundreds of paperbacks, , some of which I haven't yet read.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:14 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
2 GB internal (1 GB for content, of which 750 MB is reserved for B&N content), microSD expands up to 64 GB
As far as I recall, the amount of storage exposed to Windows was 250MB.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Well, I'm waiting for BN to start popping up a message like "you did not buy this book from BN, you must have a pirated copy of it, so we are reporting you to the Copyright Police ...."

This is why I stilll have hundreds of paperbacks, , some of which I haven't yet read.
In the meantime, I'll continue to buy ebooks and enjoy them and not worry about some unlikely thing that B&N might do in the future.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The Libra 2 is over 2" wider than than the Clara (almost a third again wider) and about 1.5" wider than the GL4.
Quote:
The ability to do simple math seems to be dying out. All measurements are in mm and expressed as WHD.

Code:
Libra 2:   144.6 x 161.6 x 9 mm
Clara HD:  110 x 159.6 x 8.35 mm
Glow 4:    120.7 by 157.5 by 5.08 mm
A bit of quick math says the Libra 2 is 34.6 mm (1.36 inches) wider than a Clara HD and 23.9 mm (0.94 inches) wider than a Glow 4. The Libra 2 is 2 mm taller than than Clara HD and 4.1 mm taller than the Glow 4.

The Libra screen alone is 16mm wider and 20mm taller (0.6" and 0.8") than the Clara HD/Glow 4 screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:29 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

That seems really paranoid.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #58
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:

DeDRM (and another e-reader) would let you bypass that kind of issue.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
DeDRM (and another e-reader) would let you bypass that kind of issue.
Well, to be fair since this has NEVER happened, it is no more likely to happen on a Nook than it is on any other ereader.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Well, to be fair since this has NEVER happened, it is no more likely to happen on a Nook than it is on any other ereader.
And if one is concerned about, one can always disable the capability (disable wifi).