Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #481
bobtista
bobtista began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite PW3
I've got the Micro1v8 USB to 1.8V-3.3V serial adapter set to 1.8V, do I need to connect anything other than tx, rx, and GND?
I see some guides that show only 3 wires, and one that shows a 4th V wire, but I don't know how to connect the V wire.
bobtista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #482
bobtista
bobtista began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite PW3
First off thank you for this. I just finished following all of your instructions, but my library only has "Kindle Feedback" - there is no KUAL. The firmware is 5.12.3, so the commands in diag were a bit different, but I managed to root the device and run the jb.sh file ok, as well as copy the files for KUAL, helper, and MRIinstaller. I just don't know how to get KUAL to show up - any ideas?
Cool note for others: The V wire is not needed, I just used tx, rx, and GND.
bobtista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #483
Raex-D
Raex-D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen (KT3)
Help with a prolific cable!!!

I couldn't get a ftdi cable in my local market, unfortunately the online prices were way too expensive due to the shipping+customs it was triple the price of the actual wire/connector board. Either ways, this is what I could manage to get from my place.

It's a counterfeit PL2303 XA/HXA (HX rev A) cable. Yes, it's not even the original one because it's also a discontinued piece. With some googling I managed to get the cable working fine at least.

My only issue is that the cable documentation states the power supply output to be 3.3v to 5v. There's no 1.8v through it. What should I do about that? The seller told me to buy another module which lowers the voltage. But I don't know how to make the connections on it.

Could someone help me with that?

(Also, it's weird but I think I posted this message last night too, it didn't show it anywhere.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200105_102733_138.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	558.6 KB
ID:	176162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200105_102736_887.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	176163  
Raex-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:47 AM   #484
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
I don't see where you say what Kindle model this is intended for. But recent Kindles are likely to require 1.8v. Some people have said that 1.8v models are tolerant of using 3.3v UARTs (serial port adapters). But you risk hardware damage if you try that.

You could purchase or construct a level shifter, voltage divider, or even pair a zerner diode with a pull down resistor to translate 3.3v logic to 1.8v. But as you can buy proper 1.8v hardware for $2 - $10 shipped, wouldn't that be a better approach? $10 or less on Amazon. As low as $2 on Ebay or Alibada but quality control and shipping times are not good at that price point.

edit: Looking at your pictures, the relevant question seems to be how to use the pictured board? Didn't it come with any documentation? It appears to be a cheap Chinese buck converter. A search for "HW-613" would probably pull up a manual. But it's pretty straightforward all the same. You will need an input voltage that is at least ~2v DC higher than you expect out. It's not entirely clear what the max voltage rating here would be. I wouldn't trust it with more than 15v in.

VO+ voltage out, positive DC
GND ground
VI+ voltage in, positive DC
EN enable port

Adjust output voltage via the pot in the upper right hand corner. Or for a fixed voltage, cut the trace to the pot, labelled "adj" and bridge (solder) the two pads next to the silk-screened voltage desired.

Last edited by Junket; 01-05-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:13 AM   #485
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@Raex-D: IIRC, the KT3 is one of the "Androidized" models.
That is, this thread does not apply since the hardware is locked away from the user.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 01:22 AM   #486
Raex-D

@Junket ahh, my bad. It's for Kindle 8th gen. Kindle Basic touch (KT3)
And apparently, living in Asia, anything I buy from the US/UK online merchants the shipping + custom charges make the equipment triple the amount of it's original price. Unfortunately, it'll also take several days to arrive here.

I tried the local market but they had nothing for 1.8v and even the online merchants here sold the 3.3v or 5v devices. Needless to say, I already tried my options. And then, I'm also not keen on spending $30 on a $80 device.

Either ways, as far my understanding of devices to, and I could search online. I think I already found my solution. But was wondering if anyone else could shed some light on it perhaps.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...ection.162322/
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32819071159.html (check the comments/reviews)

That cleared up my own doubts somewhat. I guess, the rest is just trial and error unless someone gives an assured answer to it.

Also I'm not sure if KT3 uses a 3.3v or 1.8v input.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #487
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note the reply above by knc1. This thread isn't applicable to your KT3.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #488
Raex-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@Raex-D: IIRC, the KT3 is one of the "Androidized" models.
That is, this thread does not apply since the hardware is locked away from the user.
Am I not able to use this soldering method to hack into the KT3?
Edit: Shit, is there anything I could do for it? I'm on firmware v9.5.9.1

Last edited by Raex-D; 01-05-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:55 AM   #489
Raex-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Note the reply above by knc1. This thread isn't applicable to your KT3.
So, there's no way to direct message users, I guess. Anyways, before my last message was deleted, I was asking what could I do about KT3 then? Is there something I could do... I'm on firmware v5.9.5.1 currently.

P.S. Yes, I already saw the replies, albeit a little late. Not intending to flood the thread here, but if any mods delete this message, could someone message me about KT3 then?
Old 01-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #490
domx
domx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4
Hello, I'm new of the e-readers world and I've learned a bit about jailbreak just after that my kindle KT4 was updated to 5.12.2. Do I have any chance now to jailbreak my device by the serial port? I say this because in [link out of date] chinese page they talk about serial jailbreak for KT3 (if the translation of google is good enough).

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-24-2020 at 06:59 AM. Reason: remove out of date short url
domx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #491
thoriki
thoriki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 7th, and 10th
hi all, ty for this. (sorry my english is very badly)
have 3 e-books in home, my first buy is one pw3, and last buy other pw3 for my son, in last summer buy other pw 10th for water resist (this is hack on firmware stock thank for this web)

Now I want to try to do the serial port tutorial jb, try this , with my hold pw3 (fw 5.12.3)
and if I get it (sucessfully) i try make jb in pw3 of mi son.

need help with 2 questions
1. i living in spain, and web of serial converter port say is out of stock, please have other model with can use for this tutorial (can buy from amazon or ebay ?) what model just for remplace model out of stock

2.can follow this tutorial with all fw versions? or what is max fw version to can follow this tutorial ??

Thank you very much for your attention, I look forward to your answers. a cordial greeting.

I apologize again for my English
thoriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #492
grant3
grant3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raex-D View Post
Also I'm not sure if KT3 uses a 3.3v or 1.8v input.
Absent advice to the contrary, I'd assume Amazon uses the same voltage for each of its eInk devices.
grant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:16 AM   #493
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriki View Post
1. i living in spain, and web of serial converter port say is out of stock, please have other model with can use for this tutorial (can buy from amazon or ebay ?) what model just for remplace model out of stock

There are many brands and models of serial port converters available. Here is one example that appears to be in stock on Amazon.es.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #494
thoriki
thoriki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 7th, and 10th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
There are many brands and models of serial port converters available. Here is one example that appears to be in stock on Amazon.es.
hi, ty very for u reply.

in the last night i read more on this post, and found in page 31, mesage 452 one link for other device to can use on this tutorial, i have buyed this https://www.amazon.es/DSD-TECH-SH-U0.../dp/B07TXVRQ7V , this is same ? can use for this ?

ty very for all reply
thoriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #495
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

That appears to be the exact same model, it should work fine. When you go to use it, you should set the VCC jumper to 1.8 volts (not 5 or 3.3v)

Tags
serial jailbreak