Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #46
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxQ View Post
My Inkpad 3 justifies text on epubs without problems. The firmware is the latest.

Cheers!
No, it does not. The epub you've been reading was then already justfied by the publisher, but Pocketbooks are absolutely unable to do so.

You can change the margins and the row spacing but not justify the text.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #47
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have 6". 6.8" 7" and 7.8" and I love my 7.8" nook. Its al;most too big. I think a 7.3 or 7.5 would be better
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:42 AM   #48
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I have 6". 6.8" 7" and 7.8" and I love my 7.8" nook. Its al;most too big. I think a 7.3 or 7.5 would be better
I madly loved my Aura One (7.8") and did love the Inkad 3 hardware (7.8"). I was not enarmoured by the Forma, but since getting the Libra last Friday I've read five books in seven days.

Looks like it is a better size for me than the Forma. Although I liked the Formas screen estate, the size of the device was not right for me somehow.

It is possible, however, I'd like the Forma now that I got used to the form factor of the new Kobos.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #49
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The third thing was of more importance, at least for me. There is no possibilty to change the contrast. With Kobo you can just darken the font by changing the contrast. You can't with a Pocketbook.
I used to embolden my favorite fonts with a font editor, and they felt so much more comfortable to read with than the standard font boldness. But I agree that contrasting/emboldening is a much-needed feature. Some of the included fonts are ridiculously thin! Perhaps in firmware 6…
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #50
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
I used to embolden my favorite fonts with a font editor, and they felt so much more comfortable to read with than the standard font boldness. But I agree that contrasting/emboldening is a much-needed feature. Some of the included fonts are ridiculously thin! Perhaps in firmware 6…
I did sideload fonts, but somehow I didn't find one that was just right. Until now I didn't know there is a font editor I could have used. Le sigh. Well, I've learned something today, thanks to you, Lykke, so today is a good day.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I don't care the screen size or the hardware. The software for the nook is so bad, I'd rather go bad to pBooks.

I do have a 6.8" Kobo Aura H2O. I much prefer 6.8" to 6". I could go with an 8" screen. I've used an iPad Mini and find it not too big for reading. Plus, the Kobo software is rather good and makes to nook look like a speak and spell.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did sideload fonts, but somehow I didn't find one that was just right. Until now I didn't know there is a font editor I could have used. Le sigh. Well, I've learned something today, thanks to you, Lykke, so today is a good day.
You don't need to add weight using a font editor. You can apply the patch to allow you to add weight to side loaded fonts.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #53
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need to add weight using a font editor. You can apply the patch to allow you to add weight to side loaded fonts.
Darling, now having a Kobo again, I can use the patches. We were talking Pocketbook above. :-)

But thank you for coming to my rescue again, Jon. You are my most reliable knight in shining armor
Old 02-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Darling, now having a Kobo again, I can use the patches. We were talking Pocketbook above. :-)

But thank you for coming to my rescue again, Jon. You are my most reliable knight in shining armor
You are very welcome.

There is one thing to note with the 4.19.x firmware. When you up the weight of the font, 4.19 does not read the new value for the font when you exit the font control. You have to reboot to get the new value read so the system will then show the font with the added weight.

I would think this would be fixed in the next firmware whenever that is.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #55
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't care the screen size or the hardware. The software for the nook is so bad, I'd rather go bad to pBooks.

I do have a 6.8" Kobo Aura H2O. I much prefer 6.8" to 6". I could go with an 8" screen. I've used an iPad Mini and find it not too big for reading. Plus, the Kobo software is rather good and makes to nook look like a speak and spell.
I do like 8" screens for tablets, too. Wasn't enarmoured with the Forma though. Now with the Libra I am in love again. But it is hard to say if I just got used to the form factor and the rotating screen or if the Libras smaller size is more to my liking.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I do like 8" screens for tablets, too. Wasn't enarmoured with the Forma though. Now with the Libra I am in love again. But it is hard to say if I just got used to the form factor and the rotating screen or if the Libras smaller size is more to my liking.
Either way, you are happy reading and that's what matters most.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #57
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
No, it does not. The epub you've been reading was then already justfied by the publisher, but Pocketbooks are absolutely unable to do so.

You can change the margins and the row spacing but not justify the text.
I'm confused by this because I have read plenty of ebooks with justified text on my (somewhat old) PB devices. Do you mean that you cannot change the justification setting for an ebook?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #58
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
There's no reader setting to choose the alignment for a book. It has to be explicitly styled as 'justified' in the EPUB (style= or stylesheet).

Edit: sorry unclear, I was referring to PocketBook's readers

Last edited by Marco77; 03-15-2020 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Clarification
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:28 AM   #59
Jinz
Enthusiast
Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Likebook Mars, Imcosys V6l, Trekstor Pyrus
Still talking about 6 vs 8 inch screens? I was on 6" for years and thought it was great for my main use case, reading on public transport. Now I've got the 7.8" screen and it is clearly better, easier on the eyes and still a handy format, not too heavy either. But the screen size doesn't have to become even bigger, or the devices will lose their portability and be only good for home use.
Jinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
There's no reader setting to choose the alignment for a book. It has to be explicitly styled as 'justified' in the EPUB (style= or stylesheet).
That depends on the software. On my Kobo Aura H2O, there are settings to change the justification. The options are off (whatever is in the CSS or the default if there i no justification in CSS), left, and full. So I can very easily have it the way I want which is full.

ADE 2.0.1 does not have nay justification settings. I cannot say for later versions.