Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #91
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, I didn't think of any physical issues with the touch screen. If one is not able to easily change the page with the touch screen, how does one do other things with the touch screen that the buttons don't do?
We avoid Touch. eg K4nt (it is on its last legs. $250 just to get TURN buttons , no way0)

I am forever getting false (unwanted) operations on my TAB.
Some of these are because there is no immediate 'Touch accepted' feedback and I keep trying 'to hit the hot spot'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 AM   #92
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The reason there is no need is that you can do everything with the touch screen that you can with the buttons. That's why there is no need. Need and prefer/want is different. While you may want and prefer buttons, there's really no need.
As I wrote, you have completely disregarded my conclusion and its example: «Try for example scrolling web pages through swipe on EPD using software that is optimal on fast screens. It depends on what you are doing». I stated that - for example - some software only offers "swipe" on touch, not "pg-up and pg-down", and the latter are only implemented through key events.

In such case (just for example), in a C-R-B, in the "have-option" branch the device may cost less than three dollars more (or three cents, depending on production size), in the "I-find-that-the-option-is-not" branch, people die. I see the two outcomes heavily biased towards the extra three dollars|cents expense.

AND back to the principle, even when strict need of a feature to get a specific function is not there, "having the option" is superior. That is freedom.

Last edited by mdp; 02-10-2020 at 05:12 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #93
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't have any physical disability but I do have issues with the touch screen on my Kobo. Try to turn the page, or try to adjust the brightness by swiping along the left side, and I sometimes bring up the settings screen instead.

I need to adjust the settings far less often than I need to turn pages so I'm OK with fumbling with a touch screen for those functions, but I would like to have page turn buttons and a button to take me to the home screen.

Too bad Kobo doesn't make a version of the Clara with buttons in addition to the one without, then we could each buy the device we prefer.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #94
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
When I originally posted I had not even considered the disabilities issues but they are a good point and major concern for many people with our aging population and those with physical disabilities. My 91 year old neighbor has a touch screen Windows portable computer and hates it and he is still quite physically capable in most respects. At age 75 I am no spring chicken either. Also in the very low humidity climate I live in a capacitive touch screen can be a PITA at times. I have seen Kobos with poor alignment between display and sensor points too, making keyboard use frustrating as hell. The original Kindle Touch infrared was better.

Fortunately the Kindle NT is still available (I have multiple units) as is the Kindle keyboard, both for reasonable prices last time I checked. I have not heard of download issues with the NT yet. For those who want a epub compatible reader for side loading books the Sony T series and the 350, 650 and 950 are still around and I have all of them with still decent batteries. Their UI that combined bottom buttons and infrared touchscreen was excellent IMO.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I am trying to use a non-touch Kindle, I end up touching the screen. I'm so used to the touch screen that I forget about the buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #96
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
When I am trying to use a non-touch Kindle, I end up touching the screen. I'm so used to the touch screen that I forget about the buttons.
...and when I try to use a touch-only reader, I find myself pressing on the bezel trying to turn the page.

It's all in what you're used to.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #97
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It's all in what you're used to.
Sometimes. But I've still been known to press on/swipe at the pages of printed books, as well as trying to feel for the edge of the "page" on my electronic devices.

Granted: this is usually when I'm tired enough that I should have quit reading an hour ago. But still... I've been reading ebooks nearly exclusively for the last several years and tactile-ly, I'm still a bit of mess when it comes to page turning (though buttons still wouldn't alleviate my medium transposition issues).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #98
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Touch screen = inadvertent or wrong way page turns. Buttons = reading bliss. That should settle this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #99
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Touch screen = inadvertent or wrong way page turns. Buttons = reading bliss. That should settle this.
Except that it doesn't. I've never had a bit of trouble with inadvertent (or backward) page turns. Reading bliss = whatever I have in my hand I'm reading from.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #100
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Except that it doesn't. I've never had a bit of trouble with inadvertent (or backward) page turns. Reading bliss = whatever I have in my hand I'm reading from.
Exactly. Even if I'm accidentally squeezing the bezel of a touch-only device, reading is still pretty "blissful"

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #101
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Reading is like sex for men. Even the worst is good.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Reading bliss is reading a really good book.

As for buttons, one reason I prefer the touch screen is that I don't always hold my H2O in the same place. Because of that, I can swipe the screen where my thumb is. I don't need to hold it the same all the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #103
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Reading bliss is reading a really good book.

As for buttons, one reason I prefer the touch screen is that I don't always hold my H2O in the same place. Because of that, I can swipe the screen where my thumb is. I don't need to hold it the same all the time.
Of course all the current readers with page turn buttons or sensors also have touch screens so you can use the buttons or the touch screen to turn pages. VERSATILITY is what I like and why I still like the old Sony readers with both touch screen and 5 buttons under the screen.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:00 AM   #104
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sometimes. But I've still been known to press on/swipe at the pages of printed books,

Me too . And trying a long press on a word to get the dictioonary definition. Tried that also.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #105
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Of course all the current readers with page turn buttons or sensors also have touch screens so you can use the buttons or the touch screen to turn pages. VERSATILITY is what I like and why I still like the old Sony readers with both touch screen and 5 buttons under the screen.
I also liked the buttons on my Sony. And on my PRS-T3, even if I used the touchscreen to turn pages it didn't go backwards sometimes like my Kobo Clara does. If the Sony hadn't lost the ability to get library books directly I'd probably still be using it as my main reader.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote