Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many shops have you bought ebooks from?
None. (I use the library and/or Public Domain and/or freebies) 4 3.51%
1 (Why bother with more than 1?) 8 7.02%
2 (The best of both) 7 6.14%
3-5 (Why stop at two?) 37 32.46%
6-20 (I've been buying a long time) 40 35.09%
20+ (A really long time) 13 11.40%
The Blue one next to the Fish 5 4.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #46
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Oh, I noticed, but it's the thought that counts.

I'm just glad the poll says "bought" and not just "gotten" because I think I picked up freebies at every store that ever existed.
IMO, that is buying.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
He changed it to 2019. You have time.
Nah. He observed the letter of her request which she acknowledged.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #48
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
If we're all adjusting our votes, might as well adjust mine too.

I voted 3-5, definitely buying from 5 at least. But if Sony was an ebook store (which seems to be the case from some other recent responses) (and how do I not remember this one way or the other? lol) then I'm sure I bought from them when I had my Daily Edition PRS 950, which would make 6 at the least. But I'm pretty sure I bought at least a few from various small sites or publisher sites. I can almost swear I remember buying off a publisher, the Penguin site I think it was? Maybe one off a site like Vintage if they have their own store? I don't know, but the end result is I'm almost assuredly in the 6-20 range instead.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nah. He observed the letter of her request which she acknowledged.
Well, if you take a look, it does show 2020. I've not yet read a full book in 2020. I do have one that I'm 65% finished with 122 ADE pages to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #50
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
6-plus for me, I've been buying -- if you count freebies -- for a long time. But I voted The Blue one next to the Fish because I like the sound of it. Yeah, I'm kinda crazy that way. ;-)
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #51
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Well I'm guessing 6-20 but never actually tracked it. The overwhelming majority these days come from Kobo.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:15 AM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
6-plus for me, I've been buying -- if you count freebies -- for a long time. But I voted The Blue one next to the Fish because I like the sound of it. Yeah, I'm kinda crazy that way. ;-)
The Blue one next to the Fish is a long-standing MobileRead poll tradition.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #53
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I believe I've only purchased E-books from Amazon, with some library loans. All other shops online or in person I use for books, but it differs with e-books and audio
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #54
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
20 for me. My first count was 10 but then I checked my email receipts and promptly doubled the number when I counted the number of publishers I've bought from directly. These days I just buy from Kobo, Amazon or Google.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 AM   #55
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)

FTR, my "source" column includes 'direct from author'. While that is mostly freebies, there are a few authors who have stores on their website I have actually purchased directly from.

Kobo is my main source.

I've been buying ebooks since the days you emailed your credit card info and they sent back the file as an attachment So most of the stores I purchased from are long gone.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:24 AM   #56
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I voted one, which is Amazon. I've also downloaded a few of Baen's freebies, so maybe I should have said two.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:35 AM   #57
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
there are a few authors who have stores on their website I have actually purchased directly from.
I think the only books I've ever obtained direct from an author have been gift copies when I let her know I couldn't buy two of her books from my IP
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #58
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I voted one, which is Amazon. I've also downloaded a few of Baen's freebies, so maybe I should have said two.
The question is most certainly about spending money, not getting freebies. You chose correctly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #59
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Just three. Amazon, Kobo and Baen.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #60
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I voted 3-5, but the correct answer is more likely 6-20. The thing is, I'm not sure.

Most are from Kobo, but some are from individual publishers, some comics from Comixology, at least one academic book from Cambridge University Press...

Do free ebooks count? I'm not sure I ever bought a Tor ebook, but I do get their monthly freebies.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote