Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many shops have you bought ebooks from?
None. (I use the library and/or Public Domain and/or freebies) 4 3.51%
1 (Why bother with more than 1?) 8 7.02%
2 (The best of both) 7 6.14%
3-5 (Why stop at two?) 37 32.46%
6-20 (I've been buying a long time) 40 35.09%
20+ (A really long time) 13 11.40%
The Blue one next to the Fish 5 4.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure you never bought any from Sony?
Nope.
I had a BeBook in those days.
(Philips Velo 500 and HP JORNADA 560 before that. The HP was sweeet! Then a DELL AXIM.)

The BeBook (sort-of) supported everything, mobi, epub, rtf, html, and (especially important) lit. By the time stores stopped supporting lit, mobi had been DeDrm'ed, and converting both to epub was easy. (MsReader was practically epub 0.9)

By the time I got my Sony they had pivoted to epub and it had been hacked to handle Kindle formats as well as epubs so the Sony store was non-competitive. I do have a couple disks full of lrfs I bought from Black Mask.

In some parallel universe out there Sony trusted LRF and didn't drink the interoperability kool-aid and are still major players. Same universe where B&N stuck with FictionWise. Didn't save them, though. They blew it in every universe.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #32
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Oops. Voted for 3-5, then remembered a 6th one.

Kobo (most books)
Diesel (bankrupt)
Amazon
Ebooks.com
Angry Robot
Feedbooks

And a 7th...
Delphi Classics

8th...
BooksonBoard (bankrupt)

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-04-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Oops. Voted for 3-5, then remembered a 6th one.

Kobo (most books)
Diesel (bankrupt)
Amazon
Ebooks.com
Angry Robot
Feedbooks

And a 7th...
Delphi Classics
I've adjusted the total appropriately.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #34
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
But if you have selected one when you have purchased from other shops no matter how long ago, you've chosen the wrong answer.

The question is not asking about recently.
It's a poll, not an audit.

I'll update my answer if you update the 2018 ticker in your signature.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #35
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Now, now. Maybe he has been too busy posting to have read more than 2 books since the beginning of 2018.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #36
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Let's see;
1) Kobo. Vast majority.
2) Amazon
3) Smashwords
4) Google Play (Well, I've "bought" four free books from them... :-P )
5) Baen (only the free library as yet.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Let's see;
5) Baen (only the free library as yet.)
They'll hook you yet.
Those books are gateway drugs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's a poll, not an audit.

OK, done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #39
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, done.

If it isn't too much trouble, could a moderator change my response to 3-5, please?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #40
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

If it isn't too much trouble, could a moderator change my response to 3-5, please?
He changed it to 2019. You have time.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:32 PM   #41
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The poll doesn't allow changing the vote. Need to change mine to 6-20.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #42
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've adjusted the total appropriately.
Thanks, but there was an 8th store as well

Maybe I'll remember a 9th?

I'm already forgetting way too many things. Seems I'm already getting old before reaching middle age even

I do have all of the free Baen CD's and (most of) the free Barnes and Noble Classics they gave away way back when, but I've never bought anything from either store.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #43
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Oh, I noticed, but it's the thought that counts.

I'm just glad the poll says "bought" and not just "gotten" because I think I picked up freebies at every store that ever existed.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:50 AM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
OK, done.
Umm... Jon, it's 2020. Time to update your reading counter for the new year.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:09 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Thanks, but there was an 8th store as well
Quote:
I'm just glad the poll says "bought" and not just "gotten" because I think I picked up freebies at every store that ever existed.
OK, both updated. NB it's just the totals that get updated.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote